ReefCleaners.org

NanoBox Wide Quad Series

DaveFason

As you go farther distance, those PAR readings are very interesting. Especially the Bottom Right side where the numbers go down and then back up...where the back of the tank falls off as expected. In fact at 22" the bottom corner is higher than the middle???

As you go farther distance, those PAR readings are very interesting. Especially the Bottom Right side where the numbers go down and then back up...where the back of the tank falls off as expected. In fact at 22" the bottom corner is higher than the middle???

We noticed that as well. These numbers were not just open air. They were in water as well. John ( teeny ) helped me and we both noticed this. We were curious if it had something to do with the light reflection VS the back that is black.

Regardless these are useful numbers being that they were in a real tank. The units are very powerful and put a nice even light out. Which in result looks incredible!

-Dave

We noticed that as well. These numbers were not just open air. They were in water as well. John ( teeny ) helped me and we both noticed this. We were curious if it had something to do with the light reflection VS the back that is black.

Regardless these are useful numbers being that they were in a real tank. The units are very powerful and put a nice even light out. Which in result looks incredible!

-Dave

OH, is this was in a running tank with a black back the combination of water movement coming out of the return and reflection will cause the numbers to appear different. Looking at numbers I would say the return was on the left side and that is why the left is lower then the right.

It has to do with the height and the angle that the light is hitting the sensor. It is kinda far away from the LEDs, so when the light is only 6" up, the angle to the outside is incredibly sharp, so less light is being emitted there. As the fixture raises up, more light hits the sensor and so PAR goes up, until the light gets high enough where less total light is hitting it, which is typical as distance increases :)

I suspect the numbers at the edge come from an in phase coherence of the side lobes. On this fixture, there are no LEDs in the middle of the light.

As for the light it's self, great job Dave, I'm sure this will find a great home in a good number of tanks. The numbers at 18" are incredibly flat across the tank which at least to me is very desirable for both photographic reasons as well as coral placement.

I suspect the numbers at the edge come from an in phase coherence of the side lobes. On this fixture, there are no LEDs in the middle of the light.

As for the light it's self, great job Dave, I'm sure this will find a great home in a good number of tanks. The numbers at 18" are incredibly flat across the tank which at least to me is very desirable for both photographic reasons as well as coral placement.

Thank you and completely agree. The Duo is a great light but has the limitations with the wide tanks being made. With this being close to two Duos put together it worked out perfectly. Paired with the added channel the output/color is stunning.

Lets get you a NB!

-Dave

Thank you and completely agree. The Duo is a great light but has the limitations with the wide tanks being made. With this being close to two Duos put together it worked out perfectly. Paired with the added channel the output/color is stunning.

Lets get you a NB!

-Dave

I'm pretty sure my next tank will end up with a NB or two. This tank might even end up with a quad if I'm not careful...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this thread until now!

Getting PAR measurements was a little tricky since it's a real tank with real rocks and water and stuff :rolleyes:

I took the measurements with the pumps off, and tried to angle the sensor towards the light where I could, but all the measurements were done with sensor held by hand in a pair of tongs, so there's plenty of room for errors and inconsistency.

The measurements were all taken with the light 6" above the water, in my IM40 tank. I was surprised by the difference between front and back too, but my best guess is that it's because the back wall of my tank is black, so there's more reflected light off the glass in front.

I think most of the side to side variations are due to the rocks. Depending on the depth of the measurement, they can cause shadows, or they can reduce the amount of light reflected off the sand bed.

Like Veng said, the consistent levels at 18" are really nice, though. I really like the color and the spread of the illumination. Are there fewer shadows that with a 24"x8 set of T5's? Of course not, but I also get to look at my tank from the top down since the light doesn't cover the whole tank :).

• 1 month later...

Where is the power cord located on this fixture? I ask because after trying many of the top brand led fixtures and not being happy with them I ordered a duo plus and I can finally say I have a light that I absolutely love. I am now thinking about purchasing the wide quad for a cube tank I have, but I like a super clean look and don't want to see the cord.

Where is the power cord located on this fixture? I ask because after trying many of the top brand led fixtures and not being happy with them I ordered a duo plus and I can finally say I have a light that I absolutely love. I am now thinking about purchasing the wide quad for a cube tank I have, but I like a super clean look and don't want to see the cord.

It is remote like your Duo. The cord comes out the back side.

Hi Dave, Do you think you will ever have a different type of mounting option for the wide quad besides the hanging version? I understand the unit is probably too heavy for a gooseneck, but maybe some type of rail kit?

Thanks, Todd

Hi Dave, Do you think you will ever have a different type of mounting option for the wide quad besides the hanging version? I understand the unit is probably too heavy for a gooseneck, but maybe some type of rail kit?

Thanks, Todd

There are a few things I can try. Honestly the response has not been huge on this light surprisingly and it could possibly be due to the hanging hardware only. Goosenecks can hold the unit up but my issue is the glass and how much weight it puts on the back.

-Dave

There are a few things I can try. Honestly the response has not been huge on this light surprisingly and it could possibly be due to the hanging hardware only. Goosenecks can hold the unit up but my issue is the glass and how much weight it puts on the back.

-Dave

People don't get they need the spread more than the raw power ... maybe someday.

jedimasterben

-Dave

This. You put something this heavy on glass less than at least 1/4", then it will absolutely crack with the first bit of downward pressure put on it.

This. You put something this heavy on glass less than at least 1/4", then it will absolutely crack with the first bit of downward pressure put on it.

Agreed, that's why I'm thinking of something like mounting rails like AI uses or at least a retro fitting that would be compatible with other rail systems.

I like the looks of a hanging light floating over a tank. I like being able to raise, lower, and angle it. It's nice having it up and out of the way and not cluttering up my trimless rims.

Agreed. More even light. Happy corals.

People don't get they need the spread more than the raw power ... maybe someday.

#YOLO

-crosses the duo off my personal wishlist and adds the wide quad instead-

On second thought... Why not both.

Yep. Heck eben the 3/8-1/2" I would still be afraid. Some of the cheaper tanks with bad silicon. :wacko:

I only like using things that look good to the eye. I played with a few rails but the overall look was just yuck! I may try to invest in this down the road however. Things are a bit busy right now!

Agreed, that's why I'm thinking of something like mounting rails like AI uses or at least a retro fitting that would be compatible with other rail systems.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic

Archived