Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ARC "Atlantic Reef Conservation" Live Rock

CaptJab

I got my new rock. It is doing great and looks awesome. I've had it a week, and it seems to be recovering nicely. BTW, this was replacement rock for my original order. It just didn't recover from the cold ship. I will never do that again, and highly suggest to everyone else to just wait until winter is over. IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.046760d44c95e930ebb743751436d32d.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
johnmaloney
On 9/27/2016 at 11:37 PM, RayWhisperer said:

It was Gulf rock. I'm not sure what John does to rock to reduce phosphates... Perhaps he just cleans the crap out of them?

Back in the day, the dry base rock was sold without cleaning. We met a guy who was cleaning them, started carrying his products and then we had the first of this kind of rock on the market. (Initially offered on NR, where trends are made). That guy was contacted by a very large online rock vendor and partnered with him. That online guy who is also a major wholesaler ended up just taking the cleaning process from our supplier and ditching him, except he was never taught the initial process he used to pre treat the rock. I am surprised no one else is doing it by now, it would be easy to figure out what is done to the rock. Just to give a hint where I shouldn't... there is lots of calcite in these rocks and it needs to be removed because it will slowly dissolve otherwise and release stored phosphates. All aragonite rock has phosphates bound in it, the solubility is the issue. 

I can say no more. :)

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

Boggers ####ed up your secret that everyone knew, John. Just let the cat out of the bag, and if your guy finds out, he's gonna be pissed!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to deal with the possibility of bad hitchhikers so I went with reefcleaners as well and just let my tank cycle naturally. Been up 3 months now and other than just new tank syndrome no big issues. If I want macro algaes, bristle worms, or anything I'd rather add it myself.

That rock does look nice though.