Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rescuing a Coral w/pics

Minidoll

Right handed. I'm not trained, just always been artsy. Yeah, I started sculpting my figures (1/12th scale) for myself but somehow it turned into a business and have sold all over the world. Crazy! You never know where your art will take you. I'm seeing a common thread among many reefers. Many of us are artistic in some way. It's cool. :-)

you might be right. I know some of the other reefers who are very talented <3

• 4 weeks later...

Great job! That acan is a beauty

Not alone on the math fear. Not only are some more artsy but there is innumeracy, mathematical illiteracy. Its never discussed but exists.

I can do math on paper, with calculator, but can't in my head. I draw blanks and numbers get jumbled. Problem solving is a real pain-

trying to figure out dosing qty is hard for me.

I've always been more artsy/crafty as well.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I thought I would give an update on this little acan I rescued. It's doing great and growing lots of new heads. I'd say it's back to full health now. I'm very pleased with my $10 purchase. :-)

IMG_0451.JPG

32707271031_e7671f1107_o.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
cfaye@Delaware

Awesome job, excellent work, thank you for sharing. This gives me hope for bringing back one of my coral's. Yes TLC is a wonderful thing. Thanks again you are a miracle worker.

• Like 1

Thanks! Maybe it's beginner's luck. ;-)  This was my first rescue. I really think it was that food that helped bring it back, it's chocked full of healthy good things. Wish I had more room in my tank to add more corals that need rescuing, I found this to be a very rewarding experience. Ideally I would love to set up a shallow frag tank but use for coral rescuing. Hubby isn't going to go for that. :-/ 

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

I was wondering if you have room for frag racks, I have seen some nice magnet ones. Yes you had huge luck, I will look in to the food, thanks for the heads up. No comment on the hubbies ever......:rolleyes:

Actually, the other day I just made a hang on frag rack using egg crate. I soaked the egg crate pieces in vinegar for 24 hours then assembled the rack with zip ties. Its butt ugly but it's sturdy. I have one frag of a pink cabbage leather on it given to me by my daughter. This is in my 5.5gal. softie tank. I might make one for my 20 Fusion mixed reef if the plastic doesn't cause any funky slime or anything. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

I have some fantastic marital advice for you. It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission. Also, how long could he really stay mad at you? A month? Isn't a cool tank worth that sacrifice?

also, the egg crate won't do anything to your water, and in the future, no need to vinegar soak it either.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, Clown79 said:

What food were you feeding?

V2O Nano V soft freeze Reef and Coral. Love this stuff! No need to defrost or rinse. I like to target feed so I put the food in a little plastic shot glass with some tank water and feed with a feed tube. 

12 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I have some fantastic marital advice for you. It's a lot easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permission. Also, how long could he really stay mad at you? A month? Isn't a cool tank worth that sacrifice?

also, the egg crate won't do anything to your water, and in the future, no need to vinegar soak it either.

Good to know, thanks! 

Yeah, after 41 years with my husband I've learned to pick and choose my battles. This is one that I pass on. Believe me, he's had to do the same with me many times. It's all good. ;-)

That food is awesome, I've been super impressed with it for corals and picky fish! How much time passed between the before and after pictures?! That acan is beautiful :)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

That food is awesome, I've been super impressed with it for corals and picky fish! How much time passed between the before and after pictures?! That acan is beautiful :)

That is the primary food that I feed my tanks. I occasionally switch it up with Reefroids and Coral Frenzy pellets. 

It's been about 10 months since I bought the acan and first posted. Within the first week I started to see improvement. The point where I felt it had completely recovered was around 2 months after I bought it. From there on it's been growing new heads. There are a bunch underneath that can't be seen in the photo. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, I'm Batman said:

V2O it is!!! Where do you order yours from?

My LFS carries it. Marine Depot also carries it but you will have to pay for overnight shipping. Worth it though.