Top Shelf Aquatics

Clean White Stage - 70G Mixed Reef

R_MC

Thanks! It gets an hour or two of sun in the morning. But my light cycle starts up around noon and closes out at 10PM. I think I should probably move to a more natural light cycle for the best coral health, but the only time I can view the tank is in the evening. X_x

Nah leave it. Better to enjoy your tank when you can. Mine time cycle is shifted too, and I'm sure a lot of others are.

But seriously, the natural sun light never looked so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I went on a 2 week honeymoon and the tank survived on autofeed and an occasional check in by a good friend. A relief.

To celebrate I've upped the stock a bit and added 6 chromis and a yellow eyed kole tang.

• Like 3

What are mistakes if not things to repeat again and again ;) ...

Coral has been looking a little pale - took some readings today and noted that nitrates are both bottomed out and phosphates are at ~.08. I am dosing ~15ml of vinegar daily and with vacation had been feeding minimally. I make the comment about repeating past mistakes because I've run into this situation at least twice in the past and typically have a nutrient deficit (nitrate) and some problematic algae (due to phosphate / nitrate ratio). I like to run ~2-4ppm nitrate and .08-.16ppm phosphate.

I dosed 1ppm KNO3 to bring the nitrates up immediately - kept the vinegar at 15ml / D and started a dosing regiment of Amino acids (which will break down into nitrates).

The AA/nutrient mix is:

1 TBSP - Full spectrum AA powder (19 L-type amino acids, water soluble, ratios unknown)

1/2 TBSP - Fulvic Acid

1/2 TBSP - L-Aspartic Acid

2 TBSP Kent's Iron + Manganese

600ml - RO water

20 drops iodine (for preservative effect)

The solution is set to be dosed at 20ml / day. The fulvic acid is a bit of an experiment. I've used it in hydroponic solutios with good success as a method for enhancing solubility / transport of metals/minerals and as a carbon source. The chemical makeup of fulvic acid is typically C135H182O95N5S2. At 1/2 TBSP over the course of 30 days I think it will be a pretty low risk experiment.

Great work - this tank is an awesome example of bare bottom and the light fixture is just unreal. What type of fairy wrasse do you have in there? What other fish are you planning to add / what would be your final fish stocking list for this tank? Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks @gmanreefer

Current stock:

Female tri color wrasse

5x blue green chromis

2x black ocellaris (4-5 years old now.)

Tail spot blenny (also 4-5 years)

Kole tang

Not planning on any additional stock except maybe a cleaner shrimp and a male tri color.

• Like 1

Thanks DC

Added the Gyre 250 yesterday and removed the 2x jebao's. Its a very good pump with a nice form factor, but I would have much rather paid about half the asking price.

The 250 does allow for some nice "programs" and I've set it up for a calm night, waves in the morning, strong gyre through the day (push every 8s), sparse gyre in the evening (a 15s "wave" every 5 minutes). I have one of the arms pointing down and one across the top of the tank. For me, I've found that this gave the best flow.

I will say... It really keeps the detritus stirred up. Poor fish had a 24h poop storm in there.

Photo update time!

bbeWqaf.jpg

setosa

uLPc2PU.jpg

Magicians

7OHivfi.jpg

Baby sps mountain

Macros:

VMCQoCZ.jpg

Rasta

zBoKyS5.jpg

Tort is regaining its color...very slowly...

QQW3y84.jpg

Trumpet

LmopZYx.jpg

Clove - may need to move to lower light

UfEwEQQ.jpg

Octospawn

rDOTg0A.jpg

fire & ice

wyusTt7.jpg

Favia

2GigZFd.jpg

AOG

• Like 5

A port in the storm

uWB4fXC.jpg

In sad news, I'm having trouble with the tang. It has ich and has been losing weight...typically not a good sign. The ich has been apparent for 72 hours. I've upped the tank temperature today in hopes of speeding it up. I've been feeding vitamin soaked frozen food + nori but his appetite has shrunk... Hoping for the big turn-around, but prepared for the worst.

• Like 4

Thanks @gmanreefer

Current stock:

Female tri color wrasse

5x blue green chromis

2x black ocellaris (4-5 years old now.)

Tail spot blenny (also 4-5 years)

Kole tang

Not planning on any additional stock except maybe a cleaner shrimp and a male tri color.

4 to 5 years on the tailspot, great job. Mine died just before 3 years old.

Tanks looks fantastic.

He's an old man... Has a cloudy eye and plenty of wrinkles. Pretty Much just sticks to his shell cave and barks at fish to get off his grazing patch.

Must be a strange life. Both him and the clowns were introduced at the same time. They're barely out of the juvenile stage and he's got one fin in the grave.

Love the tail spots though, great fish with tons of personality. And they eat algae. What more could you want.

• Like 1

Made my way to lovely pets (lfs) yesterday and picked up this nice Acan for $20. Not bad! Feeding for the first time on Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets.

1DRvJJu.jpg

Does the pellets help? my Acan is looking a little flat lately.

Does the pellets help? my Acan is looking a little flat lately.

I think the pellets help with new tissue growth, but not necessarily color. Coloration seems to be more dependent on light level and water chemistry and varies coral to coral.