Top Shelf Aquatics

Evan's SPS 120

evan127

Ugh. I HATE my Apex! It stopped connecting to Fusion AND the display crapped out. So now I can't alter network settings or anything. I also hate how you have to update the firmware (which if it's not updated it will crap out) using Windows (which I don't own) using Ethernet (archaic), how spotty the connection to Fusion is all the time and just how finicky the whole thing is. I'm about to toss it.

What's a good alternative? I'm thinking about timers again ;)

Thanks! I like her too. She's eating well already.

This whole issue with the Apex might be the final straw for me. I'm really over messing around with this thing. I'm definitely not going to spend $800 for a new one either. I'm researching for alternatives. I might swap out and go back to timers again. I'd need five though. 3 for the ATI and 2 for my dosing pumps. I would need to figure out how to control temperature that is not on the heater.

I thought I'd make a small update. Things are going alright. I've learned a lot from some experimental mistakes in the last few months. My new philosophy is this:

1. Stop chasing numbers
2. Feed a lot. Coral and fish food. Maybe more than is needed
3. Skim only 12 hours a day
4. Change filter socks only when they overflow (I am only keeping them to prevent micro bubbles. Otherwise, they'd be out of the sump totally)
5. Don't test for nitrogen or phosphorus. Period. Unless **** hits the fan, don't test for it.
6. Stop water changes completely.

• Like 3

March

33325878526_e670b28dba_h.jpg

I decided to go back to the original bulb combination I had. 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus. 8 hours total light, 6 hours full spectrum. No more messing around!

• Like 2
On 3/8/2017 at 9:20 PM, evan127 said:

I thought I'd make a small update. Things are going alright. I've learned a lot from some experimental mistakes in the last few months. My new philosophy is this:

1. Stop chasing numbers
2. Feed a lot. Coral and fish food. Maybe more than is needed
3. Skim only 12 hours a day
4. Change filter socks only when they overflow (I am only keeping them to prevent micro bubbles. Otherwise, they'd be out of the sump totally)
5. Don't test for nitrogen or phosphorus. Period. Unless **** hits the fan, don't test for it.
6. Stop water changes completely.

For large tanks, I totally agree.  Did something similar for my tank and it has been awesome

• Like 2

I need to stop messing with my reef.  I think with spring right around the corner and almost here, I will spend less time messing around with it and just let it grow.  I'll be spending more time in the dirt garden anyway :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HarryPotter
6 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

feed a lot, and stop water changes completely??

i can't say i agree with that...

Sounds like the results weren't great :( 

13 hours ago, evan127 said:

I am alive.  I will update tomorrow.  It won't be a pleasant update though :(

Oh no, hope you can turn it around.

15 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

Yeah, I don't think I agree with that at all either.  Bad, yet short lived, decision

14 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Sounds like the results weren't great :( 

The results were not great at all

1 hour ago, markalot said:

Oh no, hope you can turn it around.

I am attempting to turn things around right now.  I've slowly brought my target chemistry values back to where they were before things went bad quickly.  I've reverting back to my original means of filtration as well.  Also getting back to my original photoperiod.  In just a little bit I am going to do a large water change to soft reset things.  At least, that is the hope. :(

• Like 2
21 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

I did that with my 85.  I fed a ton daily. I had huge growth with my sps and the tank thrived for a year (had to break it down for moving). but I skimmed 24 hrs a day and had an oversized skimmer (rated for 150) for the tank so I could do that.  I don't agree with feeding heavily and limiting the skimmer hours... too risky for me.

• Like 1