Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

I feel your frustration with the PE! I have tried SPS for years on and off, but like you said, they don't come out after a few days. Having said that, I got a few frags 3 weeks ago, and they are still out! 🙂  Although I probably just jinxed myself!!! 

If it matters, I alternate doses of Reef Roids, AB+, and Brightwell amino. 

oh yeah! i have brightwell aminos too on and off. that did work the first few doses, then PE went away after a few days again. I wonder if my potter's angel is nipping? but even before i had the fish i didn't have PE.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, TheKleinReef said:

oh yeah! i have brightwell aminos too on and off. that did work the first few doses, then PE went away after a few days again. I wonder if my potter's angel is nipping? but even before i had the fish i didn't have PE.

Yeah, probably not the potters, when I had one, it would just eat algae all day! BTW, in the last few days you're the second person I met on NR that has a potters! I hope they are able to captive breed them one day! My favourite fish!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 5:44 PM, TheKleinReef said:

Anyone have a good guide to interceptor treatment. 100% sure I got the red bugs from fishofhex. No wonder the prices were good. Sigh. Dipped the colonies that were covered in red bugs but I want them gone. 

No way-- Sorry to hear! I had a valida frag that had no PE, and I found red bugs on it! I did a quick search on treatment, and it was just too much work so I chucked the frag in the hopes it didn't spread. Good luck with your colonies!

• 3 weeks later...

Few updates.

Picked up a Hanna checker for phosphate. Got the ULR one. Tested four times and got (0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.9). Not quite sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m gonna assume it’s the 1.0 because I actually have some algae and the sps look a little drab. 

Only gripe I have with this checker is powder should never be in a packet. Too hard to make sure it’s all in there. But maybe I just need to get more familiar. 

also picked up TM Elima-Phos Rapid (LaCl) to knock the phosphate down a bit. I dosed 1mL for the roughly 90g system I have. I’ll check later today to see what the new phosphate reading is. 

did my second dose of interceptor last night as well and woke up to do a 15g water change and swap out the carbon. I haven’t seen redbugs since the first dose, but I’m not sure about the life cycle of the redbugs so 3 treatments it is just to make sure. I have enough for 4 though. 

I’ll take some pics at lunch!

• Like 3

1mL of TM ElimaPhos dropped phosphate from ~1.0 to ~0.05. A bigger drop then recommended, but it didn't seem to stress anything out.

I added another 0.5mL to see If I can get the phosphates to 0.02.

I'm still having trouble with some of the SPS looking a little drab, a few seem to be in a stagnant state entirely (paletta pink tip, pink lemonade, and one i forgot the name of), they encrusted then never really grew any more.

I also wasn't paying attention to the Hanna Salinity probe calibration and it drifted quite far. After I calibrated it again, my tank tested at 1.023. oops

Hopefully now I can get things back on track.

dose 3 of interceptor is today.

have a bunch of corals from my buddy in illinois coming on tuesday. (rainbow welso, dragon soul troch, new york nicks torch, hammer, frogspawn, and some zoas he wants to get rid of). super excited to have some LPS again. Tank needs some movement.

will test phosphate again today.

I have pics, but haven't offloaded them from the z6.

• Like 2

Hallo. New corals came in today and omg. a dragon soul torch under TSA's blue program is nutty. I was thinking about going back to AB+ but now I don't want to switch programs.

Secondary question:

I have a Tunze Osmolator ATO and it works fine for a few weeks, but every once in a while it won't detect the water level. It makes the piece of mind of an ATO non existent. I did notice when the water level is below the sensor, the lights on the controller are blinking green. I'll use my fingers to wipe the sensor down and then the buttons turn orange and the pump kicks on. It'll reach the sensor then the light holds a solid green.... It's annoying for how expensive this thing is.

Any input on why this is happening?

2 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Hallo. New corals came in today and omg. a dragon soul torch under TSA's blue program is nutty. I was thinking about going back to AB+ but now I don't want to switch programs.

Secondary question:

I have a Tunze Osmolator ATO and it works fine for a few weeks, but every once in a while it won't detect the water level. It makes the piece of mind of an ATO non existent. I did notice when the water level is below the sensor, the lights on the controller are blinking green. I'll use my fingers to wipe the sensor down and then the buttons turn orange and the pump kicks on. It'll reach the sensor then the light holds a solid green.... It's annoying for how expensive this thing is.

Any input on why this is happening?

Let’s see the torch!

no idea on the ato, sorry, I only had their float switch version. It worked for almost a decade before it died. But now moved to xpaqua dual optical one. 

14 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Best way to upload high quality images? I used to use Flickr but that didn’t seem to work as it used to. 

I used to use Flickr, but haven't been using it for a long time now.  that's a good question, maybe @Christopher Marks will be able to provide a few services that N-R can link to for photos.    

4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I used to use Flickr, but haven't been using it for a long time now.  that's a good question, maybe @Christopher Marks will be able to provide a few services that N-R can link to for photos.    

PS. that kat you gave me is very pale and brown. 😞 Trying to figure out why. I have some macro pics to upload here  I have a sit to upload to and link from.

51655533109_4681094936_k.jpgdragon soul by roger klein, on Flickr

51654859866_6f07f68d28_h.jpgmelanarus by roger klein, on Flickr

51654047147_29d4ff9019_k.jpgYEKT by roger klein, on Flickr

51654047172_b127936d3d_k.jpgORA skyline granulosa by roger klein, on Flickr

51654047197_a14e485e4d_k.jpgspongodes by roger klein, on Flickr

51655083683_35b0538be6_k.jpgWWC yellowtip by roger klein, on Flickr

51655083723_72ca8b7f01_k.jpgJF Barney by roger klein, on Flickr

51654860076_5134657626_k.jpgGarf Bonsai by roger klein, on Flickr

51655720450_546a0a53a0_k.jpgbrown katropora by roger klein, on Flickr

big sad this is brown. it came so colorful 😞

51655083798_0c4d9f8bec_k.jpggreen slimer by roger klein, on Flickr

51655720510_40dfad8eb4_k.jpgblue stag by roger klein, on Flickr

51655083838_07f0451688_k.jpgtoxic green hammer by roger klein, on Flickr

51654860171_a8ec86e20c_k.jpgtrach by roger klein, on Flickr

51655083878_c4d052cc62_k.jpgtrach by roger klein, on Flickr

• Like 1

Phosphate is 0.07 

alk 8.3

ca 440 

mg 1280

SG: 1.026

pH: 8.4 

why my color poopoo. Phosphate maybe?

haven’t put gfo back in since I did the interceptor 3rd dose last week. Maybe I should do that. 

31 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Phosphate is 0.07 

alk 8.3

ca 440 

mg 1280

SG: 1.026

pH: 8.4 

why my color poopoo. Phosphate maybe?

haven’t put gfo back in since I did the interceptor 3rd dose last week. Maybe I should do that. 

What’s nitrate like?  I think @markalot used to mention the Katropora likes high nitrate. 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

What’s nitrate like?  I think @markalot used to mention the Katropora likes high nitrate. 

No clue. I’ve never owned a nitrate kit 😅
but I dump so much coral food and KZ stuff in there it can’t be that low. 

17 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

No clue. I’ve never owned a nitrate kit 😅
but I dump so much coral food and KZ stuff in there it can’t be that low. 

How often do you have to scrape glass?  This is a very poor “test”, due to ppl varying tolerance for less-than-clear glass. But when I’m low on nutrients, I can go for over a week or even 2-3 before truly needing to scrape.  But if the water has higher nutrients load, every 2-3 days I’ll be at the scraping point. And most ppl I talk to with colorful acros, they tend to scrape dirty glass often, think 1-3 intervals. 

• TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36