Pod Your Reef

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I haven't tested salinity in years....thanks for the reminder to test it today

I haven’t either. Just ordered an analog tester and realized it’s wayyyyyyy off from the Hanna. 

hanna went in the trash. It loses calibration after like one use. 

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

your tank weighs 400 lbs empty?  Dang, is it 12mm glass?  doesn't seem like it should if it were 10mm glass. IM is pretty good at listing their specs, worth double checking, just in case it's over or under to better determine the size of those suction handles.

TheKleinReef
26 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

your tank weighs 400 lbs empty?  Dang, is it 12mm glass?  doesn't seem like it should if it were 10mm glass. IM is pretty good at listing their specs, worth double checking, just in case it's over or under to better determine the size of those suction handles.

it's 1/2" or 3/4" glass i think. I'll have to measure it

I feel like if it’s over 400 lbs you may need more so more people can help? But don’t ask me… I can carry my lil nano tanks myself when they are empty. 

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I feel like if it’s over 400 lbs you may need more so more people can help? But don’t ask me… I can carry my lil nano tanks myself when they are empty. 

i moved it with my SO last time, it was a challenge but we didn't have the suction handles and it had to make a nasty triple 90 degree series of turns. I can't remember if it was the tank weight that was 400lbs or if it was the pallet weight that was 400. the number 400 is stuck in my brain for some reason.

• Wow 1

There are also those orange straps for carrying heavy furniture… have you every used those when moving? They can work really well for large heavy items… not sure about fish tanks though.

TheKleinReef
1 minute ago, banasophia said:

There are also those orange straps for carrying heavy furniture… have you every used those when moving? They can work really well for large heavy items… not sure about fish tanks though.

I was gonna order those too, but i have to flip the tank so the long sides are vertical to get it up my staircase so I'm not sure how well those would work in that scenario.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I was gonna order those too, but i have to flip the tank so the long sides are vertical to get it up my staircase so I'm not sure how well those would work in that scenario.

Yeah I’d worry about the straps slipping… maybe you could secure them somehow. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some YouTube videos that might have some good methods to consider. 

I've always just ditched it and bought new sand. It makes it a lot easier to move, and you don't have to worry about all the crap built up over the years in the old sandbed.

Worst thing you might see is some normal diatom growth on the new sand for a few months

• Agree 1
TheKleinReef
3 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

I've always just ditched it and bought new sand. It makes it a lot easier to move, and you don't have to worry about all the crap built up over the years in the old sandbed.

Worst thing you might see is some normal diatom growth on the new sand for a few months

i'm only tempted to keep it cause there's not even that much in there and it's always super clean.

would it do any harm to keep it?

Just looked again and it isn't very much sand you're right, if you can I would just wash it super well in a bucket. I always just use tap water when I do it but i'm sure you could also use some old salt to give it a good clean and try to preserve a little bacteria

• Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36