Cultivated Reef

I dunno, but it seems very important to consider the scale here… that is only going from like 7.68 to 7.95 and back to 7.68… that’s less than 0.5 difference in dKH which seems like like it’s in the safe zone? Is it necessary to control it that tightly? I’m still wondering if this may just be too many data points… but don’t ask me, I definitely do not have what it takes to do acros. 

• Agree 1

Reef Cleaners emeralds are guaranteed to eat bubble algae… could try some of theirs… I’ve also been dealing with bubble algae infestations in my Biocube 32 and my Evo 5… their emeralds quickly got it under control in the Biocube 32, still working on the Evo 5 where the rock basically had a thick layer of bubble algae and bryopsis all over. 

• Wow 1
10 hours ago, banasophia said:

Reef Cleaners

I don't order from them unless its between march and june. every order outside that range has come in DOA.

Since he changed his packing technique I'm not a fan. The last order i put in (last winter) came wrapped in like padded aluminum foil with a tiny heat pack. There was literal ice shards in the water. His refund policy is garbage too, only covers the animals.

had a thick layer of bubble algae

I took the rock out and dowsed it in hydroen peroxide. lets see if that works lol.

0.5 difference in dKH which seems like like it’s in the safe zone?

swings when there's 0 nitrate is bad. but i cannot keep nitrate above 0 at all.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I have 10 and they’ve made no dent. 

Also. What the effff would cause this drop?

B4CA476A-4379-4AC5-A41A-5EDD9F217059.thumb.png.f57a4a55810de3b791d9f853f165d5a9.png

24 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Nitrate 3.4 ppm

phosphate 0.13 ppm

i did drop my phosphate reactor down last week might just turn it back up a smidge 

I’d honestly let it go for a week and see what’s going on with all of them, alk, N, and P.  What if N and P helps trigger alk consumption?  Now you have some detactable N and P for the first time, would kinda make sense that alk is being consumed.  I’m as stumped as you on the rise over the past few days tho. To me, I keep going back to equipment issue, it’s almost like a baseline drift in a chemistry lab. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

I’d honestly let it go for a week and see what’s going on with all of them, alk, N, and P.  What if N and P helps trigger alk consumption?  Now you have some detactable N and P for the first time, would kinda make sense that alk is being consumed.  I’m as stumped as you on the rise over the past few days tho. To me, I keep going back to equipment issue, it’s almost like a baseline drift in a chemistry lab. 

But it had a week or so of similar values, then steadily climbed a bit then nose dived. Seems odd. 

hopefully I’ll see some growth everything is a bit stressed from the rock removal and hydrogen peroxide dowsing but everything opened up. Sps look about the same too. Just stagnant. 

took the rock out, dowsed it in hydrogen peroxide and nearly all of it died. Hopefully the rest can be cleaned up by the emeralds*

Also sent some water samples to ATI, they test your tank water and RODI.

I also calibrated my trident and now alk is showing 8.0-8.4 compared to 7.5-7.7 which means it's either off now, or it was 0.7-1.0 lower before, which would make sense. If it was that far off before my alk could have been 0.7-1.0dkh lower than what was being measured.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

nope

just fish food

so puzzling....historical rise in the past aside....on a grand scale of things, you went from 8.4 to 8.2 to 8.5.  what's the error range for Trident?  Is it within their acceptable range?  I mean, it'd be possible to see similar results using titration kit.    

TheKleinReef
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

so puzzling....historical rise in the past aside....on a grand scale of things, you went from 8.4 to 8.2 to 8.5.  what's the error range for Trident?  Is it within their acceptable range?  I mean, it'd be possible to see similar results using titration kit.    

error is 0.5 but that's error per test. most people use the trident as tracking consistency not accuracy. if it measures 8.5, it could be 8.5 +/-0.5, sure, but the error from test to test should be negligible.

what's odd is it was staying 7.5-7.7 until i calibrated it then it went to 8.3, now it's rising again.

hopefully the ICP results will shed some light.

mitten_reef
10 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

last 8 tests chilling at 8.45-8.5

maybe this tank wants to be at 8.5 lol

and what do your manual test results say?  have you done any during this past week, just to keep track with the trident? 

One reason I don't feel the need to get into the granular details of test results...the other, I'm lazy

TheKleinReef
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

and what do your manual test results say?  have you done any during this past week, just to keep track with the trident? 

One reason I don't feel the need to get into the granular details of test results...the other, I'm lazy

hanna consistency tests 1.0dkh higher.

it's still testing 1.0 higher. at 9.5ish

when the trident measured 7.5 the hanna measured 8.3ish

i just don't have anything other to point to why the SPS are looking kinda drab, i'm very close to blaming the radions.

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

1F911949-B7A4-4EBB-BEDB-F48BD464EF6B.thumb.jpeg.2a16872fcf7e6dc16c698a62c52af410.jpegF13260DB-28CA-4039-81F7-1AD264A86FAB.thumb.jpeg.5611a728111ae5246644e0dde25bb6a9.jpeg

I think this tank wants to be at 9 

why? I have no idea. That concept just makes no sense to me. If alk is being released during denitrification, why does it matter what the current alk level is in the tank. 

bright side my Anacropora is turning green again. 

• Like 2

Might be time to just roll with the higher alk! It's a bit nastier for people who don't test as often, might keep you from running quite as high a PAR too, but you monitor frequently enough to be running 11 or 12 DKH if you wanted to and you'd probably have insane growth.

Plus, it gets allot harder for the system to continue climbing once you get around 9-10 DKH, it just takes a ton more alkalinity to keep things moving upwards at that point.
Might make it easier to keep things steady.

TheKleinReef
21 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Might be time to just roll with the higher alk! It's a bit nastier for people who don't test as often, might keep you from running quite as high a PAR too, but you monitor frequently enough to be running 11 or 12 DKH if you wanted to and you'd probably have insane growth.

Plus, it gets allot harder for the system to continue climbing once you get around 9-10 DKH, it just takes a ton more alkalinity to keep things moving upwards at that point.
Might make it easier to keep things steady.

I will say, after this tank crashed an i just let it go, i never tested anything. when i did it for the first time it was like 9.2 dkh.

Maybe you're right. It'd be easier to find a salt that mixes clean and closer to 9 though. TM classic mixes to 8.5 but i'm too scared of that brand now.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

But also that 9.2 was measured with Hanna. And my Hanna has been consistently .8-1.0 higher than Red Sea and the trident. So who tf knows anymore. 

im not gonna dona wc until it stops climbing. We shall see what that number is 

• Like 3
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36