Top Shelf Aquatics

21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

How often do you have to scrape glass?  This is a very poor “test”, due to ppl varying tolerance for less-than-clear glass. But when I’m low on nutrients, I can go for over a week or even 2-3 before truly needing to scrape.  But if the water has higher nutrients load, every 2-3 days I’ll be at the scraping point. And most ppl I talk to with colorful acros, they tend to scrape dirty glass often, think 1-3 intervals. 

I scrape maybe once a week. 😟

maybe they’re starving. 

4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

51655533064_6ddc04493d_k.jpgfts 11/2/21 by roger klein, on Flickr

Bump to next page 

Finally Compiled a list of all the coral in my tank, excluding zoas cause I dk names.

Spoiler
LPS
Red Goni
Purple Torch
NY Nicks Torch
Dragon Soul Torch
Trachy
Splatter Hammer
Toxic Green Hammer

SPS
SABERTOOTH MILLE
PALETTA PINK TIP
CANDLE LIGHT STAG
TSA BLUE SLIMER
STELLAR STYLO
VALIDA
RR GOLD TORT
EXQUISITE STAG
WWC YELLOW TIP
GREEN SLIMER
RED PLANET
SETOSA
GARF BONSAI
TYREE RED DRAGON
JF BARNEY
CC NEEDLE IN HAY
PURPLE PASSION
MYSTERY
SKYLINE GRANULOSA
KATROPORA
TENUIS
PINK FLOYD
OREGON
CALI TORT
P. LEMONDADE
MYAGI
PC RAINBOW
UNKNOWN ACRO 1
SPONGODES
FOREST FIRE DIGI

4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I know higher pH means better coral growth to an extent, but my pH hovers between 8.1 at the lowest at 8.5. That seems kinda abnormal, no?

thoughts?

Should be ok…

what’s your method of dosing alk again? Kalk is known to raise pH, why I asked. Also have you checked with a test kit to confirm, or this is just thru a monitoring probe?  

10 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Should be ok…

what’s your method of dosing alk again? Kalk is known to raise pH, why I asked. Also have you checked with a test kit to confirm, or this is just thru a monitoring probe?  

All for reef. 
just recalibrated the GHL probe to be sure too. 

36 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

All for reef. 
just recalibrated the GHL probe to be sure too. 

ok.  idk if AFR metabolism affects pH, but might be worth combing through my old AFR thread here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/414176-tropic-marin-all-for-reef-users-thread/

How do you like AFR? feel free to drop some thoughts in that thread.

17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

ok.  idk if AFR metabolism affects pH, but might be worth combing through my old AFR thread here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/414176-tropic-marin-all-for-reef-users-thread/

How do you like AFR? feel free to drop some thoughts in that thread.

I’d be surprised if 12mL is making that big of an impact on 85g of water but if my tanks biodiversity is that fragile maybe it can. Might look into auto dosing microbacter7 or something. 

I can see how dosing too much can lead to nutrient level problems but I just find it hard to believe that I’m at that point when I’m only dosing 12mL. 

I’ll put my thoughts in the thread here in a minute. 

9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I see the bev fridge pulling double duty as supplement fridge, lol

nice setup!

haha yeah. it's very accessible now!

The only thing that continues to bother me is that the distance between the wall and the entrance to the basement is 22" and standard cabinets are 24" so we couldn't run the countertop all the way to the edge without it sticking 2" into the door way. The plan is to fill that weird space with an icemaker or some shelving.

I'm just excited to have a sink, no more hauling buckets up the stairs!

On 11/14/2021 at 5:08 PM, TheKleinReef said:

calling all those with reeflakes sand. 
how do you keep this stuff clean. It always looks so dingy and brown. And little toughs of algae grow on the sand particles too. 

I don't have reefflakes sand but would love to know how to get rid of the tufts of algae on the sand bed too!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

I don't have reefflakes sand but would love to know how to get rid of the tufts of algae on the sand bed too!

I have no algae on my rocks or glass, but the sandbed has two distinct pockets of algae. It's super annoying, this is the second time I've gotten this algae from this sand too. 

On 11/15/2021 at 8:41 PM, TheKleinReef said:

I have no algae on my rocks or glass, but the sandbed has two distinct pockets of algae. It's super annoying, this is the second time I've gotten this algae from this sand too. 

Oh you think it's a sand thing? I use caribsea and still have it. At least it's easy to scoop up with a net. Maybe we need more cuc.

12 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Oh you think it's a sand thing? I use caribsea and still have it. At least it's easy to scoop up with a net. Maybe we need more cuc.

maybe, I don't have a lot of sand dwelling CUC. I've been tempted to get some hermits but I don't wanna deal with the snail murder.  I'll take some

pics of the algae later to post, maybe I need the right snails to knock it out.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, spectra said:

Get some conches and maybe a sand sifting star. They will turn your sand over and not kill snails. They will move corals if on the sand bed though. 

What kind of conch, don’t some of them get rather big?

3 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

What kind of conch, don’t some of them get rather big?

Not sure what they were that I used to get from my local store. Maybe fighting conch. Some were about 2" long but never any issues.......... nassarius snails are good also....... I used to have at least 20 or more in my tank. They come out at night and clean really well.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Here’s this stupid algae I can’t shake. Even with 0.06 phosphate 😩

CC9CF70A-86C9-47FF-A845-E380FBC6F8BA.jpeg

Looks exactly like mine. But yeah, scoop it if you can. My ceriths won't touch it, probably too long. I don't have hermits either but I think cuc is the key, or a fish that eats algae and fits inside a nano.

19 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Looks exactly like mine. But yeah, scoop it if you can. My ceriths won't touch it, probably too long. I don't have hermits either but I think cuc is the key, or a fish that eats algae and fits inside a nano.

I have a yellow eye kole that pics it up and carries it around the tank lol. Since it grows on the sand though it’s always hanging out of his mouth 😂

• Haha 2
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36