inTank Media Baskets

56 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Tank is coming on Tuesday!!!!!

omgomgomg

On 12/29/2019 at 8:46 PM, TheKleinReef said:

Question:

if I have the sump in the same room as my furnace, will it eventually ruin the furnace?

how close are we talking here?  saltwater sprays/splashes/spills will no doubt cause some issues with the metal furnace casing and ductwork. also, you should try to keep around a 2-foot perimeter around the furnace in case you need it service or repair (look up owner's manual for minimum recommended perimeters). 

The possible high humidity in the room also comes to mind, but not sure whether or not it'd get to a concerning level.   

TheKleinReef
29 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

omgomgomg

how close are we talking here?  saltwater sprays/splashes/spills will no doubt cause some issues with the metal furnace casing and ductwork. also, you should try to keep around a 2-foot perimeter around the furnace in case you need it service or repair (look up owner's manual for minimum recommended perimeters). 

The possible high humidity in the room also comes to mind, but not sure whether or not it'd get to a concerning level.   

Well, where I was thinking about putting an oversized sump there is a 40" gap between the wall and the furnace. Which means it would be a tight fit. I could get a smaller sump and run it a bit further away which wouldn't impede any furnace maintenance, but if I'm going to do a small sump, I might as well just put it under the stand.

5 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Well, where I was thinking about putting an oversized sump there is a 40" gap between the wall and the furnace. Which means it would be a tight fit. I could get a smaller sump and run it a bit further away which wouldn't impede any furnace maintenance, but if I'm going to do a small sump, I might as well just put it under the stand.

look up the furnace manual for minimum clearance recommended - I’m sure you could get a lot closer than 2 feet.
I just threw a generic number out there, that I’d be comfortable with walking around and doing things around the unit. 

TheKleinReef
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

look up the furnace manual for minimum clearance recommended - I’m sure you could get a lot closer than 2 feet.
I just threw a generic number out there, that I’d be comfortable with walking around and doing things around the unit. 

From what it looks like the two sides that are needed for maintenance are exposed, the other two are against a wall or the water heater.

I have commitment issues, I need to put all my sump options in a hat and just pull from it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

You will get rust over time......you may need a vent to get the heat and moisture out of the room......

• Like 2
TheKleinReef
15 minutes ago, spectra said:

You will get rust over time......you may need a vent to get the heat and moisture out of the room......

I'll probably have the sump in the stand then, and just have the RODI and SW mixing station in there with sealed containers.

• Like 3
TheKleinReef

Need help deciding on a sump. 
im between the the synergy 34” with no fuge and the trigger systems 34” with a fuge. 
34” seems awfully small to cram a skimmer and fuge section in there, but maybe I’m wrong. 

Ordered my sump. Synergy reef standard sump CL34 with their silencers. I don’t think I’ll end up running triton so a skimmer and a algae scrubber might be the route I take. 

After measuring the ABS stand I found out a 34 sump can fit in there but I’ll have to boost it up about 2”.  It’s unlikely I’ll be able to fit it through the front door so the top panel might be coming off to lower the sump down into it. 

it’ll make moving the sump out impossible but in my 5 years of feeding I’ve moved a sump out of the stand one time so I’m. It to worried about it.

The sumps are in stock so I’m excited to get it in. It looks gorgeous on the site.  

• Like 1

planning out plumbing is stressful.

I need some opinions, do I plumb my manifold from my vectra M2 return pump and use one pump, or have the M2 isolated to the display and run an S2 for the manifold. My gut wants to do everything from the M2 and just have a backup pump if it should fail.

Thoughts?

Also since my stand is aluminum, what would be the best way to secure the PVC to the stand to avoid stress on the bulkheads/glass.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, TheKleinReef said:

I need some opinions, do I plumb my manifold from my vectra M2 return pump and use one pump, or have the M2 isolated to the display and run an S2 for the manifold. My gut wants to do everything from the M2 and just have a backup pump if it should fail.

Thoughts?

Also since my stand is aluminum, what would be the best way to secure the PVC to the stand to avoid stress on the bulkheads/glass.

bump.

also, varios or vectra for the return pump? I keep reading great things about both.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, TheKleinReef said:

Thoughts?

Whats going to be run off the manifold ? Will the Vectra have enough pressure to run everything ? 

2 hours ago, spectra said:

Whats going to be run off the manifold ? Will the Vectra have enough pressure to run everything ? 

I’m thinking a carbon and gfo reactor at first. But I want options for others I may need. Like Kalkwasser, ca, and algae reactors. 
The m2 is rated for 2000gph but I don’t plan on running anymore than 1200 through the overflow. 
I’m also debating on having them separate rather than plumbed together. 

1 minute ago, TheKleinReef said:

I’m thinking a carbon and gfo reactor at first. But I want options for others I may need. Like Kalkwasser, ca, and algae reactors. 
The m2 is rated for 2000gph but I don’t plan on running anymore than 1200 through the overflow. 
I’m also debating on having them separate rather than plumbed together. 

But remember that 2000 is probably not much head height...……

I have a Vectra not sure what one on my 750 and running at 3/4 or so and it doesn't seem like a lot of flow to me. 

18 minutes ago, spectra said:

But remember that 2000 is probably not much head height...……

I have a Vectra not sure what one on my 750 and running at 3/4 or so and it doesn't seem like a lot of flow to me. 

It's only going up 3 feet. I'm also going to rely on the vortech's for flow in the display. I'm going to shoot for maybe 5-10x turnover.

I'm more concerned about the pump dying, and my... everything goes offline (if i tie the return and manifold together). rather than having  them split and being able to use the manifold pump as a buffer until the main pump is operational or replaced.

11 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

It's only going up 3 feet. I'm also going to rely on the vortech's for flow in the display. I'm going to shoot for maybe 5-10x turnover.

I'm more concerned about the pump dying, and my... everything goes offline (if i tie the return and manifold together). rather than having  them split and being able to use the manifold pump as a buffer until the main pump is operational or replaced.

I worried I would go 2 pumps then. 

I know in mine I also run a UV and went with a dedicated pump for it rather than a manifold. 

• Like 1

I ordered my return pump and some plumbing for the manifold to tinker with some designs. I'm missing a few fittings right now but I ordered them today and they should be here next week. I also order my lights and my vortech mp40qd's. My wallet hurts.

49410721862_732d5bf350_b.jpg

will likely use another m2 down the line for my SW mixing station.

I'm planning on hitting a button on the apex, which has the SW mixing station run on a timer for 24H then turn it off, notify me so I can place a heater in for a few hours before a WC.

I'm going to use two of these:

49410069808_66cbbe5f82_b.jpg

but I haven't found a SW mixing station design that I like that could also fit the space constraints and such. 

I also ordered my lights, vortechs, and some misc. plumbing so I can get it planned out before the sump comes.

I'd like some updates from synergyreef, but the only one I got was saying the sump is "in production."

29 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I got my lights! but i stupidly ordered one RMS mount. oops.

49429477518_b43ee2cd00_c.jpgUntitled by roger klein, on Flickr

49429958966_ce3445bd78_c.jpgUntitled by roger klein, on Flickr

sponsored by ecotech???  Don't forget the versa dosing pumps. 😄 It's their first equipment to be app-controllable.    

Also would you try to have the lights perpendicular to the tank width for better front-to-back coverage?

• TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36