Pod Your Reef

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

sponsored by ecotech???  Don't forget the versa dosing pumps. 😄 It's their first equipment to be app-controllable.    

Also would you try to have the lights perpendicular to the tank width for better front-to-back coverage?

I'll have to see what it's like when the other RMS comes, I forgot how big the radion was.

I wish they'd sponsor me, would have saved me a fortune 😛

13 minutes ago, Jmevox said:

Wow i'm jealous.  This is going to be an awesome build

Took me forever to get this tank going, might as well go all in, right?

my poor wallet 😧

• Like 2

Your poor wallet is right.  I was trying to add up the costs in my head and gave up lol.  But if you're going to do something you might as well do it right.  This will be epic once it's up and running.  Then all that's left to do is spend more money on corals and fish 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Jmevox said:

Your poor wallet is right.  I was trying to add up the costs in my head and gave up lol.  But if you're going to do something you might as well do it right.  This will be epic once it's up and running.  Then all that's left to do is spend more money on corals and fish 😃

After my 65 crashed I just saved and saved until I was ready to come back. This tank's equipment list would look much different equipment wise if I started 2 years ago that's for sure.

Well you definitely made some good equipment choices i'll give you that.  I may do the same thing as you or buy a used full set up. 

I've seen some insane used deals but it does always feel great having all new stuff lol.  Some guy by me recently sold a Red Sea Reefer 450 with all coral, fish, rocks, an Apex, GHL Doser, 3 radion xr15s w/diffusers, skimmer, pumps, ro/di system.  Top of the line everything for $1,500.  I just had nowhere to store it at the moment since i'm in the process of buying a house.

2 hours ago, Jmevox said:

Well you definitely made some good equipment choices i'll give you that.  I may do the same thing as you or buy a used full set up. 

I've seen some insane used deals but it does always feel great having all new stuff lol.  Some guy by me recently sold a Red Sea Reefer 450 with all coral, fish, rocks, an Apex, GHL Doser, 3 radion xr15s w/diffusers, skimmer, pumps, ro/di system.  Top of the line everything for $1,500.  I just had nowhere to store it at the moment since i'm in the process of buying a house.

I debated on looking for used stuff but in the end, I just wanted stuff under warranty and stuff i know will work. It is crazy how quickly gear can depreciate though another reason why I waited so long, I wanted to make exactly one purchase so I don't have to sell it for less than I bought it for, just to spend more money.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I debated on looking for used stuff but in the end, I just wanted stuff under warranty and stuff i know will work. It is crazy how quickly gear can depreciate though another reason why I waited so long, I wanted to make exactly one purchase so I don't have to sell it for less than I bought it for, just to spend more money.

Definitely makes sense.  You bought quality equipment and this set up is going to last you a long time.  Can't wait to see what it looks like all set up

• Like 1

I ordered my skimmer and the other RMS. Most of the big purchases have been made. I think the only stuff left to buy is apex and the little things. 

Rock, sand, glue/epoxy

test kits

reactors

heaters

SW mixing station plumbing. 

Question. My CL34 from synergy reef is going to come with 1.5” bulkheads but the drain lines are 1”. What’s better: swapping out the bulkheads (since their just place holders for the pipe), or using 1” to 1.5” reducers at the bulkhead? 

Like the apex is a small purchase...………...:lol: you going with the lower end version or all the bells and whistles one ? 

As for the 1.5 to 1 you can just reduce right at the bulkhead...…….also the mixing station wont be cheap if you go all colored pvc and fittings...……….that fancy pvc is not cheap...…...

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 9:10 AM, spectra said:

Like the apex is a small purchase...………...:lol: you going with the lower end version or all the bells and whistles one ? 

As for the 1.5 to 1 you can just reduce right at the bulkhead...…….also the mixing station wont be cheap if you go all colored pvc and fittings...……….that fancy pvc is not cheap...…...

that's why i said apex AND the little stuff.  😛

I don't see myself needing the salinity or orp probe, so probably not that one. 

Update: tank is filling, pics after work.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
TheKleinReef

Trying all for reef this go around. 
ordered that, some dosing tubing, a magnetic stirrer, and some misc  plumbing pieces. 

reacher out to TSA to put together a hardy sps test pack for me which should be here Wednesday. 

- green slimer 

- garf bonsai 

- red planet

- setosa 

- pc rainbow 

-tsa harold Ramos 

overall first impressions of the GHL is it is initially quite annoying to set up but once you learn how it works and the difference in terminology it’s an amazing machine. Super excited to have one. 

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

Got the skimmer delay set up after the return pump comes back on, but I need to set it up for the ATO as well.

SPS came, and @Top Shelf Aquatics did an amazing job packaging everything up, labeling it and keeping it cool in the heat of July. Water temp was 74.5 degrees which is pretty dang good for it being 94 degrees today.

I acclimated them and set them low in the rock work. I'll have to go get some superglue and mount them in their spots before I get some pics.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Struggling with a really gross film bacteria right now. Most of my reef cleaners order showed up DOA since it took about 7 days to get here. I tossed in what was moving but that ended up being like 5 snails. 

Is there another place to get a cuc that doesn’t ship USPS? USPS has been really bad for my location in Wyoming. My friend tried to send me some coral usps and it took 4 days from Chicago to Sheridan. 

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

I’m not super pleased with the lack of PE on the SPS. I’m dosing acropower 2x a day, but I’m wondering if I should start dosing KZ stuff more to promote the PE and start feeding the corals. I just don’t have many to justify broadcast feeding the tank... 

TLDR: I need more corals so I can feed and get PE.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Took a gamble and ordered from fish of hex. The frag sizes were insanely good for the price I can admit. What totally sucks is that the water in the packaging was 88 degrees. I tried to cool the corals downs slowly to avoid shocking them, but when the temp swing from the tank to the bags is 10 degrees, even floating was too fast. The frags went in looking good. The next morning all the acros and stylo RTN'd. 2/6 survived: forest fire digitata and spongodes. Kinda disappointed ngl.

• Sad 3
32 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Took a gamble and ordered from fish of hex. The frag sizes were insanely good for the price I can admit. What totally sucks is that the water in the packaging was 88 degrees. I tried to cool the corals downs slowly to avoid shocking them, but when the temp swing from the tank to the bags is 10 degrees, even floating was too fast. The frags went in looking good. The next morning all the acros and stylo RTN'd. 2/6 survived: forest fire digitata and spongodes. Kinda disappointed ngl.

Whenever this happens to me - I let it come to room temp first by just leaving it in the living room first. Then I float afterwards. 

Sorry about the corals. 

• TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36