Cultivated Reef

if I buy a LED Biocube 16, what parts should I replace/upgrade?

Friendly

first comment: I find it frustrating that a company doesn't actually come out with an AIO that is truly usable out of box because they go low end on most of the hardware. that to use it to it's true capacity, you need to upgrade several bits. just make one already and charge the higher price. word will get out it's the 'best' available on the market and people will buy!

so, onto the thread's purpose. from all the reading I have done, the pump will need to be upgraded immediately and that the light will be 'just' sufficient for basic softie coral keeping (so necessary upgrade likely) and you should get the upgraded filter media tray.

what else should I keep in mind for the BC16?

or, just to put it out there, is there actually an AIO out there that is good right out of box and I've must missed it?

Full featured AIO's have fallen out of style as people always end up replacing the stuff it comes with. People now buy tanks like innovative marine and supply their own hardware. For example the IM lagoon 25 only comes with return pumps, you supply everything else.

Red Sea does this still, and the price reflects what you get. And then you'll see said price and be all like WTF bastards are gouging me no way I'm all liking my wallet and stuff BioCube here I come!

Which is why most give you the tank to start, and allow you to upgrade on your own. Coralife wants to sell tanks in the low hundreds range. Not over a grad or even two, they move much better in the LFS and larger online/pet stores.

I would say the pump that comes with these is decent and doesn't "have" to be upgraded right away. It's a good idea to get the Cobalt MJ900, use the stock pump for your water mixing bucket and backup.

Add more flow to the tank.

Media Basket to fit will be out soon enough.

All the rest is how much you want to spend and how not a slave to the tank do you want to be. ATO would be on my to do list.

See how you like the lights, they are pretty bright. The color mixing is so, so lots of white. You can always retrofit in the future or take off the hood and go rear mounted LED. Sell the hood to a Coralife 14 owner and get some cash back.

yes, an ATO would be required as well as this would be at my work office and we're closed on the weekends, so it would have 2 days evaporation without top up. that would obviously be a cause of issues... :P

well, reading on the Nano, the lights aren't the most desirable.

that said, it's still more complex that I'm looking for as I'm not interested in a sump and all that.

I like the AIO's with the built in filtration compartments. easy to upgrade with the better inTank media boxes. it's just damned annoying at how much the proper lighting costs!

ReefSafeSolutions

hello RSS, I don't have anything decided yet. fishing for recommendations. :)

I just put an AquaIllumination Prime HD over my Lagoon 25 and love it...highly recommend it!

I think an AI Prime HD is probably overkill for a 16 gallon tank. I've heard others say they're too bright for the smaller nano tanks.

is the JM900 to be used in conjunction with the stock pump or does it replace it?

ReefSafeSolutions

I think an AI Prime HD is probably overkill for a 16 gallon tank. I've heard others say they're too bright for the smaller nano tanks.

is the JM900 to be used in conjunction with the stock pump or does it replace it?

You can turn each channel down to 1% so if people are saying the light is too bright for their small nano tank, I think they don't have it set up correctly. The Prime was developed specifically for nano tanks.

I wouldn't buy a BioCube unless you like the enclosed look. My first tank was a BioCube 29 and I put led's, a new pump, extra fans, etc into it. In the end what I really wanted was a beautiful modern rimless tank and the BioCube couldn't magically turn into one like a pumpkin.

So this time I got a IM Nuvo Fusion 20 and love it. I'm planning on moving in the next year or two and when I do I might move up to a 30L or a Lagoon 25

I wouldn't buy a BioCube unless you like the enclosed look. My first tank was a BioCube 29 and I put led's, a new pump, extra fans, etc into it. In the end what I really wanted was a beautiful modern rimless tank and the BioCube couldn't magically turn into one like a pumpkin.

So this time I got a IM Nuvo Fusion 20 and love it. I'm planning on moving in the next year or two and when I do I might move up to a 30L or a Lagoon 25

I second on getting an Innovative Marine. Back in the day (2008) tried a BioCube 8, then a few years later a BioCube 29, and now an Innovative Marine (IM) 40. The back chambers in the IM are much better laid out, allows for more customization, and the glass quality is much better. IM of any size is a good choice since you'll be able to fit more in/on them - dosing pumps, media bags, better lighting, etc. In addition, the option of having more IM branded options specifically designed for the tanks (skimmers, reactors, etc.). Tunze nano skimmers work well.

IM also has LED lighting fixtures made for smaller tanks... good quality, output, and price.

• 7 months later...

Archived