ReefCleaners.org

Nanocube on Day 106

djtodd

Yes, it's been over 3 months and I figured it was time for a new thread. Considering the last one was "Day 24."

nanocube.jpg

Removed from the stock cube:

All filter Media

Added to Cube:

32W CSL Retro (56W Total)

2 60mm PC Fans for cooling

A 50GPH powerhead with diffuser

I think I'm going to attempt the surface skimmer mod next. I'm getting tired of the oil slick on top.

You know, if you take the on and off switch you might not need those fans to keep the heat under 81 degrees.I have the same light setup you have and I keep my water at around 80 degree anyway but even after 12 hours of light the temop doesn't go over 80.7 degrees. I did replace the stock power head as it was both loud and was adding three degrees of heat to the water. I replaced it with a mini jet and it add no heat and I can't even hear it close up! On, you can break the "oil slick" with adding something to where the water comes out. I just cut it a little and it breaks the film without any trouble but other put a little attachment to it and works fine. The skimmer mod has brought problems as both snails and fish have been known to slip though the slots of the mod and die....

Good Luck...

Steve

Originally posted by reverai

You know, if you take the on and off switch you might not need those fans to keep the heat under 81 degrees.I have the same light setup you have and I keep my water at around 80 degree anyway but even after 12 hours of light the temop doesn't go over 80.7 degrees. I did replace the stock power head as it was both loud and was adding three degrees of heat to the water. I replaced it with a mini jet and it add no heat and I can't even hear it close up! On, you can break the "oil slick" with adding something to where the water comes out. I just cut it a little and it breaks the film without any trouble but other put a little attachment to it and works fine. The skimmer mod has brought problems as both snails and fish have been known to slip though the slots of the mod and die....

Actually, 90% of the time I only run 1 fan. The 2nd is for really hot days. It's attached to the same timer as the lights and only turns on when the lights do.

I've got no real complaints about the stock PH, it's silent for me. But I may replace it anyhow just for the possible heat factor.

Dunno how I'm going to do it though. Instructions or not I've never been able to get the hood off.

You need to take a look at the two things that keep the hood on and then you be able to take off without trying to muscle it. There are two things on the hood that fit inside the connector on the tank. You can just slowly move a small driver in there to help or just put some pressure on one side and move it at an angle. I can get my hood off and on in 30 seconds.

Steve

Archived