Pod Your Reef

New 20 Nuvo Fusion

mcameron2479

I will be making a very similar thread soon! I too am starting an IM Fusion Nuvo 20 in my new apartment, moving in March 1st and want to have everything ready to go to setup by then!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I was thinking of doing a Nuvo fusion 20 as well, do these seem to have the issues as the ones with the curved glass blowing out?

No. Fusions are structurally sound.

do not smoke the reef(er)

To many ideas. My last tank was a 14g BioCube. I mostly used it as a means to learn, I didn't do much to in terms of upgrades. As a result I was very limited. I had a true perc, a green clown goby(awsome fish, loved that little guy), and had a diamond goby until he jumped, then I got a hi-fin goby. Corals I had mostly zoas and basic softies.

This go around I'm make a big jump in hardware so I should be pretty much only be restricted by the tank size. I really want to be very picky about what i put in the tank. I would like to do a zoa garden on one side of tank with some rare zoas. On the other side of the tank I would like to do a mutli-level island with a cave not sure how I want to populate this side. Probably go with more branch types. There are some great coral people in my area so I should be able to find some great pieces.

Fish wise I definitely will have a clown, my wife loves pandas so once the foliage grows out I will add a Panda Goby, I want a Green Mandrian but I need to see if I can build up the pod population first and also look for some that are known frozen eaters, I would love to have a Flame Angel. In the end it is all subject to change and mainly I want to have interesting things in there. My daughter is 6 months old so I want lots of color and movement.

She will love the flame angel and the zoa garden, especial if you are doing the rare designer ones. Love mandarins! But yes keeping that pod population up is always tough.

Thinking about throwing a hammer coral and some zoas into mine this weekend.

The last of the purchased items have arrived. The only outstanding pieces are the light and the mp10, they weren't on sale at all. We are starting some sleep training stuff with my daughter this weekend and I'm on crying baby duty, so I will be temperately nocturnal for a few days, so I might not get much work done in the basement this weekend, but fingers crossed. I will be getting all the lumber to reinforce the stair today at lunch though. Life always manages to find a way to change plans. My goal is to be wet before the new year but still have a lot to before that, so I'm not very optimistic.

Fpdu2yQm.jpg

She will love the flame angel and the zoa garden, especial if you are doing the rare designer ones. Love mandarins! But yes keeping that pod population up is always tough.

Thinking about throwing a hammer coral and some zoas into mine this weekend.

Mandarin is my dream fish at the moment, I know someone on here was having success with a pair until they had a tank crash, I forget who that was now. But, that is my goal, to get this tank thriving so I can make a great home for one.

• Like 1
Vwcrackerjack

Looks good. I have an apex also but I haven't set it up on my nuvo8. I took it off my 50 cube. I loved it on there and I didn't even scratch the surface of what it could do. I basically used it to turn off pumps when doing water changes and turn on fuge light when doing maintenance under tank. The display is nice to be able to just glance at it and see that pH temp and salinity are all good. I didn't need the salinity probe but it was nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

A member in my local reef club was selling 100lbs of cured rock, way more than I need, but, at $1/lb I couldn't pass up the deal. I can sell the leftovers later. I finally ordered the light & mp, as well as some pipe, valves, and 2 10g brutes should arrive Friday. I plan to get a 20g brute for rodi storage, but that is in stock at my Home Depot, so no need to order.

I'm planning to have the 20g brute for rodi storage with a pipe & ball valve to fill ATO container, pipe & ball valve to the 10g brute for salt mixing, pipe & ball valve from 10g brute to fill water change bucket. Hopefully I will have photos to share soon of some scape options.

I have been giving some thought to what I want to use for salt. Previously I have used reef crystal and have nothing negative to say about it. What are people using for salt these days? Any experience with the Aqua Forest product line, any noticeable added value? Thanks

Had a chance to play with some rock while my wife was making cookies and the baby was sleeping. I'm not sure how to link the photo correctly on my phone so the links should work. I'm thinking zoa garden on top of the flat cave to the right. Some acans on the small rocks in the front. Thinking a larger hammer or frogspawn colony in the middle of the tank. And various other corals scattered around the island on the left. I have an unused flat piece the I might try breaking up to see if I super glue to glass for some shelfs.

https://i.imgur.com/O1zbKSy.png

https://i.imgur.com/bT3luZS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aV0TVuY.jpg

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of rock, but I do like it. My only advise is to be sure you have enough room on every side to clean the glass and back wall. When I set up tanks now, I always place the rock in the aquarium when dry. Then I take an algae scraper and simulate "cleaning".

I'm looking forward to seeing your tank up and running!

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of rock, but I do like it. My only advise is to be sure you have enough room on every side to clean the glass and back wall. When I set up tanks now, I always place the rock in the aquarium when dry. Then I take an algae scraper and simulate "cleaning".

I'm looking forward to seeing your tank up and running!

I agree. The right is placed tight to the glass but there should be plenty of room to slide everything left to make room at the right side. I am also going to play with a layout that will center the cave on the right and do some stepping on each side. If I can push that center back enough I have a nice flat piece that should fit in the center front for a nice long sand bed garden. This also is just using the rock as is, I can take a chisle to a few of the other peices I have to create so stepping for the sides. I also have to keep in mind that this tank is only viewed from the front, I will update as I get new ideas. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have had a chance to make some construction progress. On the house construction over past couple of weeks, 6month olds really put a dent fish tank time. I got the stairs reinforced a couple weeks ago and my parents came up to visit this past weekend so I got my dad to give me a hand adding a 20amp gfci breaker put in my panel and ran some wire to the approx area of where my control panel will be. I have all parts and pieces in house for the tank and mixing station. I decide I need to frame out a small section of wall behind the stair for outlets and controls. Then I can start construction on the tank support framing.

https://imgur.com/a/AQqK1

Tonight had a chance to play with some rock again. I'm really happy with this layout. Now just need epoxy it together and I'm good to go.

https://i.imgur.com/nV1xjPZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cHd2X7T.jpg

coming along! In my experience (limited) it helps to make sure when you epoxy to not make the structures too large. It has been extremely helpful for my tank to be able to remove pieces of live rock to scrub off algae or whatever as needed. Too large of pieces and it becomes really difficult.

coming along! In my experience (limited) it helps to make sure when you epoxy to not make the structures too large. It has been extremely helpful for my tank to be able to remove pieces of live rock to scrub off algae or whatever as needed. Too large of pieces and it becomes really difficult.

Agreed. I ended up getting the extra thick glue and accelerator from BRS instead of the epoxy. I glued up everything into 4 main pieces. The rock on the left is one piece, the middle "V" is now one piece, the cave rock and support rocks are one piece, and the arch above the cave is now one piece. I am thinking that I will end up gluing the arch down to the cave rock. My mp10 will likely end up right behind it so the flow will be highest right there, so I think the arch will need the the extra support.

• 2 months later...
mcameron2479

Finally have been able to put some hours in on this project.  It's amazing how life and a 10 month old can derail plans.  So this has rapidly expanded from a simply stair reinforcing and tank stand build to a starter fish room project.  In order to install the tank I will need to open up a hole between my dining room and the stair to my basement.  My basement is not super warm in the winter and I didn't want to leave it open for to long so I decided to focus on everything else and leave that for the very last thing.  After reinforcing my stair I framed a small section of wall just behind the stair and blocked out where I will hang the panel for the tank controls as well as the blocking to hang a work surface.  I then added a new 20amp gfci breaker to my panel(aka my dad added a new 20amp gfci breaker to my panel), I then wired in a quad box below the panel blocking and a duplex above the work surface.  I knew I needed more light, so I wired a new 4' T5 shop light on a switch near the work area.  I built the mixing station stand and plumbed my brutes.  Next step to wire a quad box over to the mixing station area and mount me RODI filters to the wall above, hopefully I will be able scrounge up a couple hours this weekend for that.  So I can be making water next week.  I also learned that the LFS i was planning to get all my fish from is closing its doors soon.  They were an amazing shop and the only place I would risk putting fish directly into my display from.  So, thankfully the timing coordinates with the Petco $1 per gallon sale so I grabbed a 20 long to use for a QT.  I managed to piece together the parts and pieces from my "fish stuff" bin and ordered a stand that will be here next week.  So, productive last couple of weeks for me, and I am shooting to have fish in QT in the next 2-3 weeks.IMG_8039.thumb.JPG.efceaacd301b55b52fa1149515b5822a.JPGIMG_8040.thumb.JPG.8d0ff0423db45e79c15bd3e2543378a9.JPG 

• Like 1
mcameron2479

Still the same as the post on Jan 17.  I'm going to keep it somewhat low to start.  Because the tank will be a through wall my light will need to be offset to the back of the tank. Which means I am going to need to angle the light into the tank a bit.  So I'm trying to keep to low profile to limit shadowing.  I'm also considering adhering a stripe of leds to the underside of the wall.  Those strips aren't very expensive and should eliminate a lot of the shadowing caused by angling the main light.IMG_7638.thumb.JPG.20ffc91b5c284045bef4887f9bd08c73.JPGIMG_7639.thumb.JPG.768864763c899720f46f992507ef1bb9.JPG

mcameron2479

QT stand arrived today.  Put it together and of course had to dry fit all the parts and pieces.  Have to get power to it and make water then I can get this thing cycling.  Big step forward.  Can't wait.IMG_8166.thumb.JPG.39d5df0517ead10a79e2940fd8bf8d8b.JPGIMG_8167.thumb.JPG.2629bd23ba459c5c892b516913c98549.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
mcameron2479

Very happy with the final product for my mixing station, came out very nice.  Unfortunately one of the elbows coming out of the first canister was cracked, must have broke in storage at some point.  I'm glad I noticed it before turning the water on.  I didn't had an extra in my pile of parts so I had to order and new one from BRS.  Another week of waiting, it should arrive tomorrow.  Maybe water will be flowing sometime Sunday.IMG_8231.thumb.JPG.228aaec3e34e192950a2e7c23ce9a0ee.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
mcameron2479

Nitrogen cycle has been slow to get started.  I started by using Dr. Tim's, that was bought via amazon.  I knew getting through amazon was a risk, and it turns out that product likely was not maintained properly.  It did not preform as it should have.  After a week I should have started to notice some changes in the tank but saw no signs of cycling what so ever.  So I took a ride to my lfs and grabbed a chunk of live rock and a bottle of microbacter7.  I added the piece of rock and started the microbactor dosing as labeled.  Over night the cloudiness disappeared, and after 3 nights the cycle has begun.  Ammonia dropped from 2ppm to .25ppm, the nitrite, oddly, was still 0ppm, and the Nitrates were up to 10ppm.  I added more ammonia last night to push it back up to 2.25ppm.  Hopefully I'll see more drop today, maybe even enough to add a little buddy this weekend to start quarantine while i finish the display tank work over the next month or so.IMG_8397.thumb.JPG.68bdd25f4aa399bcfd4df28c6b5684a4.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
mcameron2479

Life has gotten very busy.  11 month old is starting to walk, trying to get a permit to put an addition on my house, talking to place closer to home about getting a new job.  Needless to say the actual display tank has taken a back seat for a few weeks.  But, the "QT" has been moving forward none the less.  I put QT in parenthesis because I don't think it will ever be a true Quarantine Tank.  I am think it will be more of an Observation Tank/Frag Tank.  I have pulled the old Cicclid Stones out and rescaped the rock work.  I have added to mesh bags of Pond Matrix to build the Bacteria I will eventually seed the display with, today two sponge filters and air pump should arrive.  The plan is that I will set up the sponges in this tank to help with filtration and to build bacteria.  I will get either (2) 2.5 or 5 gallon tank that I will keep on the bottom of the stand.  They will be designated as hospital tanks, one for coral and one for fish.  If at any point I need them I can fill with water transfer the sponge filter from above and treat the fish or coral as needed.  Once I am done the sponge can be tossed and replaced with a new one and back into the Observation tank to rebuild bacteria.  Everything will go through a month of observation before moving up to the display.  Now for the fun part.  The "OT" is doing great so far.  I have added a very small cleanup crew to help with the post cycle ugly about 1 week ago.  In that time I have snails laying eggs and one of the hermits molted.  I also have a more high profile resident.  I picked up little Lightning Clown.  It took him a few days to get use to things but he out and about now and eating like a clown fish should.  All and all I couldn't happier that I chose to set up this tank first.  It has been a while since I had a tank and was nervous that I had forgot some things.  This early success has really boasted my confidence in my own abilities and this step will really help me get the main display off to the best start possible.  I am a firm believer in taking time in the beginning to set yourself up for success long term.  I feel like my patients agonizingly slow pace has gotten me started int he right direction.IMG_8558.thumb.JPG.baebe659103c625cbaad23df4ff9a3fa.JPGIMG_8635.thumb.JPG.4e6ceb6c128816e3fae00bcaeba01195.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...