Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 20 Nuvo Fusion

mcameron2479

mcameron2479

I just starting to plan out my return reefing. I previously had a 14g biocube, very basic, as my entry into reef keeping. I loved it and learned a lot about the hobby. Back then the plan was to get started with the biocube and at some point grow up. Life got in the way, and that little reef rode off into the sunset. I have since got married, had a baby, and just bought a house in the burbs. Part of the wonderful house is the oddly placed "cubby," in the dinning area, that no one seems to have any idea what to do with.

FTqQGOIm.jpg

That was until I started to get a strange itch a work one day. I hopped on the web and realized that the little "cubby" was there to house a piece of reef. And thank god the wife agreed, as long as she didn't need to do anything. So I promised I would get a controller that would allow me to attach auto feeders, and that I could control from my phone, in the event that I must travel without her for some reason.

So here I planning my re-entry into the hobby. I have decided a few thing for sure. First, I am using a 20 Nuvo Fusion, love the size and look and it will fit perfectly in the existing opening. Second, I need to rip out he existing box an rebuild a shelf and support structure as well as add some extra support to my stairs. There is no way this will be adequate.

kE7aSqxm.jpg

And third, I want to take a couple steps up from what I did with the biocube. I plan to be extremely picky about everything. This will most likely become a winter project for me, since the new house already has a pretty good list of projects built up. This is actually fine with me as I enjoy the planning and learning process just as much as the rest. I figure step one will be to put together an equipment list and bounce it off everyone who has already been down this road for some advice and insight. So thanks in advance for any help you can provide and I will keep everyone updated as I go even though it might be a slow road to start.

Equipment List

- IM 20 Nuvo Fusion

- IM Custom Caddy 20

I have seen some newer posts of people saying the tank now ships with the filter socks. How

people feel about the socks vs the media baskets and the CC vs the inTank?

- Cobalt MJ1200

To replace the return pump.

- IM Skimmate Desktop Ghost

I have read mixed reviews on this. Seems to be a love/hate item. How do people feel about it and

and do you have any alternate suggestions?

- IM Minimax Desktop Reactor

I am new to reactors so I will be doing some learning here. Any advice is very welcome.

- AquaIllumination Prime HD

- Neptune Apex Jr.

I am also new to controllers so I will be doing a lot of learning here. Again any advice is very

welcome here. I am also thinking that this will be a last minute purchase. If I can scrounge up a

few extra $$ I may bump this up from the jr.

- EcoTech Vortech MP10QD

Is it worth the extra $$ to go with the wireless model on this one? Suggestions for alternatives?

- AutoAqua Smart ATO

- Cobalt NeoTherm 75w

I have seen a lot about these guys burning up but people still seem to use them a lot. Any

reservations about NeoTherms?

I still have my RODI setup from the my previous go around in storage plus lots of media, food, and testing stuff that I decide to hold onto just in case. I will have to pull the bin out of storage at some point and see what is still good. Again thanks for any and all advise. I'm really excited to be getting back in.

Welcome back to the hobby! I have a fusion 20 running also despite my nametag that I need to change. I currently use the filter socks and change them every two days. Haven't tried the baskets but I don't mind the extra maintenance. I added a ghost desktop skimmer recently and I am really happy with it. I got mine used at a great deal so that outweighed everything else to me. It works ok, nice tea colored skimmate that I empty every two days. I am still messing around and trying to tune it in. I use the neotherm 75 also. I read a ton about them failing but it seems to be mostly the 200 watt ones. I also have a 100 watt heater I use in mixing. That thing has been bullet proof. I dont have an Apex but they seem really useful and seems like a good safeguard against a heater fail. I have upgraded my return to two Sicce Micraplus pumps. The biggest issue I had with that was turning the output down so the skimmer would have more dwell time with the water. Perhaps someone can chime in but I think I would attempt to put a valve on the mj1200 incase you need to dial it down.

mcameron2479

Thanks, can't wait to really get rolling on it, . Appreciate the insight. I have been doing looking into the apex lately and the techie side of me is getting excited about everything thing you can do with it. That being said all the bits and pieces add up really fast. I feel like that is priority #1 to find used. At this point I am thinking if the tank arrives with the socks, as I have recently read they are, I will roll with that for a while and see how I like it. If not I will upgrade the baskets. What are you using for light? I am still leaning toward the Prime but have been giving the Kessil A160 a look.

I hear ya. That Apex is cool but man that price is something else. Right now I am using a current USA LED ramp. Its LEDS are really not strong enough. I was thinking of the Prime, a lot of people seem to use it with good results. The A160 seems ok but personally I prefer the Prime because it has the UV leds. Not sure if UV matters but the Prime is only like 20 bucks more and seems more capable. Just my two cents.

mcameron2479

Agreed. That is my thinking as well. The only down side to the Prime, for me at least, is it isn't compatible with the apex. So I will need to control the lighting separately. That being said the prime is has an iPhone app so it isn't really a big deal.

- EcoTech Vortech MP10QD

Is it worth the extra $$ to go with the wireless model on this one? Suggestions for alternatives?

Wireless is only worth it if you buy 2 and want to link them.

- IM 20 Nuvo Fusion

- IM Custom Caddy 20

I have seen some newer posts of people saying the tank now ships with the filter socks. How

I have had both the IM baskets, the IM socks and now fully InTank baskets (actually basket & floss holder). IM ones are a distinct downgrade, but can also be a lot cheaper depending on your location. If doing it from scratch again I would go one intank media basket + floss holder.

- Cobalt MJ1200

I have a MJ900 in mine and feel it’s enough flow with dual spinstreams for the return. I do have an MP10wQD though, else I would have gone with the 1200.

I have read mixed reviews on this. Seems to be a love/hate item. How do people feel about it and

Currently running the desktop ghost skimmer, and aside from some first time problems (I bought mine lightly used), it’s been working fine with minimal bubble issues.

I am new to reactors so I will be doing some learning here. Any advice is very welcome.

I think the reactor is kind of pointless for a tank this size, I use chemipure blue in the intank basket bottom ‘chamber’.

No comment, I’m running Kessils. Beware of shadowing issues with a single point fixture on this tank.

-Neptune Apex Jr.

I am also new to controllers so I will be doing a lot of learning here. Again any advice is very

welcome here. I am also thinking that this will be a last minute purchase. If I can scrounge up a

It all depends what you want to do with the apex. Our tanks are small, so the end options are not as vast as someone running the whole shebang. I have the apex ‘lab’ grade which came with base unit, EB8, PH and temp probes. I’ve expanded that to a WXM module for my MP10 and an extra EB8/PM1 for my Fusion 10 that sits beside this tank. You I believe could do all of that with the junior and save some money, it’s mostly just limited by total modules allowed (EB8, PM2, WXM etc).

- EcoTech Vortech MP10QD

I initially went non-wireless with my MP10 as I didn’t have an apex, when I got one it was a no-brainer control wise. It is a rather large investment though just for apex control (Ecotech RF module upgrade + WXM together isn’t cheap). I enjoy the ability to put things at low constant at night, pulse / reefcresting at various parts of the day and also blasting things in nutrient mode pre- water changes with a flick of a profile.

- AutoAqua Smart ATO

Using a Tunze Osmolator, it’s overkill. I would probably do the nano version if I was doing it all over again, but no comment for the Smart ATO

- Cobalt NeoTherm 75w

I have seen a lot about these guys burning up but people still seem to use them a lot. Any

I had my first 75w stop turning on, but the second has been solid. Perfect profile for these tanks, and no worry of breaking glass. Older threads with issues are like two years old at this point, no reservations on getting it again if I was just starting now. My fusion 10 also has a 50w neotherm. It can be overkill given the apex temp monitoring, but I’ll take two safeguards vs one for heater. If you use an EB8 be mindful to use sockets 4/8, the heater won’t function properly on 1-3, 5-7. Not sure about the JR if the outlets are all triac or mechanical relay.

I still have my RODI setup from the my previous go around in storage plus lots of media, food, and testing stuff that I decide to hold onto just in case. I will have to pull the bin out of storage at some point and see what is still good. Again thanks for any and all advise. I'm really excited to be getting back in.

Good luck, and the only regret will be you’ll want a larger tank after the 20 is running!

mcameron2479

Thanks for the thorough response. I am fully aware of my impending "need more reef" dilemma. But, the fact that tank is is size for an existing space helps surpress the urges. Also, I believe that the 4 outlet bar has all 4 as triac.

mcameron2479

Does anyone have any thoughts on seneye? I like the idea that I can quickly know if there is an ammonia issue brewing, even though it is one of those things that aren't an issue if you stay on top of maintenance, small tanks don't take much to have big failures. Beyond that the ph and temp are redundant, and the PAR meter is great for setup but really one time use thing. I feel like at $450, unless you are really interested in the PAR meter it doesn't provide enough unique info. That being said many would say my interest in using an apex on this system is overkill too.

mcameron2479

I agree, to a certain extent, but, budgets are budgets, a lot if not most of us have them. So, I guess my question pertains more to how people feel about the value. I have never used one, but I feel like this is relatively speaking, new tech and being such I don't know that it provides unique value yet. I feel like seneye ultimately transforms or merges into a piece of a greater control system.

mcameron2479

I am going to wire a dedicated breaker for all tank related parts & pieces. Does anyone know how much power the Apex will draw? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I only see that the power bars max out at 15amps but that doesn't have anything to do with requirements of the unit its self. I was thinking of running a dedicated line with a 20amp gfci breaker. I am finding that I was thinking the power needs would be way higher that they actually are. I added a second Prime HD, just in case I want 2 someday, and a 1/15hp chiller, just in case to my calcs to cover anything I may ever want. Still I'm only at 5amps, so I am going to go with a 15 amp gfci breaker.

mcameron2479

Thanks danno. Your tank sets a pretty high bar. I am resisting the urges to move to fast, have a busy fall ahead so I have hold off on the tank for a little while. Hoping to have everything ready for water early to mid Nov. I am going be doing a lot of new stuff on this tank, from my prior BioCube so I have a lot of learning and planning to do. Lots of great ideas swirling already. My wife is a big Panda fan so I want to plan out a way to surprise her with a little Panda Goby. I know they are reclusive so I want to try to grow out a nice piece of Pocillopora for him before I add him. My vision is to have several smaller rock Islands to grow out a zoa garden on one, and acan on another, that type of stuff. Then do a taller island right under the light and drill out a ledge and cave behind the Poci so the little guy has a cave and coral hide out in. Thats my early vison in my head, I'm sure things will evolve. I'm trying to get a better sense of what kind of par I can expect from the Prime HD. A lot of the info I have been able to finds seem to mostly be from the non-HD model.

RIP Sebastian

I just starting to plan out my return reefing. I previously had a 14g biocube, very basic, as my entry into reef keeping. I loved it and learned a lot about the hobby. Back then the plan was to get started with the biocube and at some point grow up. Life got in the way, and that little reef rode off into the sunset. I have since got married, had a baby, and just bought a house in the burbs. Part of the wonderful house is the oddly placed "cubby," in the dinning area, that no one seems to have any idea what to do with.

FTqQGOIm.jpg

That was until I started to get a strange itch a work one day. I hopped on the web and realized that the little "cubby" was there to house a piece of reef. And thank god the wife agreed, as long as she didn't need to do anything. So I promised I would get a controller that would allow me to attach auto feeders, and that I could control from my phone, in the event that I must travel without her for some reason.

So here I planning my re-entry into the hobby. I have decided a few thing for sure. First, I am using a 20 Nuvo Fusion, love the size and look and it will fit perfectly in the existing opening. Second, I need to rip out he existing box an rebuild a shelf and support structure as well as add some extra support to my stairs. There is no way this will be adequate.

kE7aSqxm.jpg

And third, I want to take a couple steps up from what I did with the biocube. I plan to be extremely picky about everything. This will most likely become a winter project for me, since the new house already has a pretty good list of projects built up. This is actually fine with me as I enjoy the planning and learning process just as much as the rest. I figure step one will be to put together an equipment list and bounce it off everyone who has already been down this road for some advice and insight. So thanks in advance for any help you can provide and I will keep everyone updated as I go even though it might be a slow road to start.

Equipment List

- IM 20 Nuvo Fusion

- IM Custom Caddy 20

- Cobalt MJ1200

- Neptune Apex Jr.

- EcoTech Vortech MP10QD

- AutoAqua Smart ATO

- Cobalt NeoTherm 75w

:welcome:

Here are some answers to your questions.

My 30L came with the filter socks. IMO, filter socks are a pain. I recommend getting the inTanks. They work really well.

I, personally, see no need to replace the stock return pump. Mine moves water around my entire tank- even with my Vortech turned off. It's really more of a preference thing here. I've heard some complaints about it being noisy, but mine is next to silent.

I have the IM Minimax and it gets the job done.

I heard bad things about the IM skimmers, so I opted for the Hydor SlimSkim Nano. Silent, efficient, unseen, and wallet-friendly.

I've only heard good things about the Primes, but, as always, I recommend Nanobox.

My Neotherm works like a champ.

Good luck,

Nick

Bouncing around the idea of upgrading the MP10 to the wireless model so I can control it via the apex. In doing so the mp10 upgrade will add $50 and the wxm module willt be $125 so the upgrade will add $175. As I'm researching the apex a bit I could switch to the Tunze 6105 for the same price as the MP and add the vdm module which is only $100. So the tunze method would save $25. Anybody have any experience with both and a preference for either the Tunze and the MP. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Finally getting the ball rolling. Hoping get some time to start reinforcing my basement stairs in the next couple weekends. Took advantage of some sales yesterday, mostly at BRS, and the tank is currently in transit along with the ato, new return pump, and the neotherm. Also, found that Marine Depot had a package with the desktop skimmer, reactor, custom caddy, spin stream, and a drip acclimator for $250. Wasn't planning on getting an acclimator, I have one, or a spin stream but at 250, the skimmer and reactor cost that on their own, it was a great deal. Exciting times, can't wait, gonna be a fun winter project. Thanks for all the advice to this point, greatly appreciated.

Now I really have to get moving on the reinforcing of my stairs and re-building the "box." The toys have started to arrived, at this point the only hardware that hasn't been ordered are the mp10 and Prime HD. They were the only things I wasn't able to get on sale. I wound up getting the Apex jr from BRS. They had it on sale this weekend so I figured I would give it a try.

J97pCMTm.jpg

YouLzDNm.jpg

iO1odNhm.jpg

• Like 1
do not smoke the reef(er)

Love when the toys all start showing up. Stoked to see what this is going to look like. Just got my nuvo 20 up and running

Now I really have to get moving on the reinforcing of my stairs and re-building the "box." The toys have started to arrived, at this point the only hardware that hasn't been ordered are the mp10 and Prime HD. They were the only things I wasn't able to get on sale. I wound up getting the Apex jr from BRS. They had it on sale this weekend so I figured I would give it a try.

J97pCMTm.jpg

YouLzDNm.jpg

iO1odNhm.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. Lots of Fusion 20s and Lagoon 25s have been setup and documented over the past year. Makes for a lot of inspiration and information. Like you I have been out of the game for a while so I've been spending a bunch of time refreshing the stuff i previously learned and learning about all the new stuff that has arrived while I have been gone. I'm very happy there are so many people, like yourself, just a bit ahead of me in the process. Lots of successes and mistakes to learn from.

do not smoke the reef(er)

Thanks. Lots of Fusion 20s and Lagoon 25s have been setup and documented over the past year. Makes for a lot of inspiration and information. Like you I have been out of the game for a while so I've been spending a bunch of time refreshing the stuff i previously learned and learning about all the new stuff that has arrived while I have been gone. I'm very happy there are so many people, like yourself, just a bit ahead of me in the process. Lots of successes and mistakes to learn from.

Most definitely. So much more is out there since my last tank, in almost every aspect. It's fun refreshing the memory and learning. Not to mention all this new equipment =) This set up is going to be legit once it is up and running.

Any ideas yet to what you plan on putting in as far as livestock?

Most definitely. So much more is out there since my last tank, in almost every aspect. It's fun refreshing the memory and learning. Not to mention all this new equipment =) This set up is going to be legit once it is up and running.

Any ideas yet to what you plan on putting in as far as livestock?

To many ideas. My last tank was a 14g BioCube. I mostly used it as a means to learn, I didn't do much to in terms of upgrades. As a result I was very limited. I had a true perc, a green clown goby(awsome fish, loved that little guy), and had a diamond goby until he jumped, then I got a hi-fin goby. Corals I had mostly zoas and basic softies.

This go around I'm make a big jump in hardware so I should be pretty much only be restricted by the tank size. I really want to be very picky about what i put in the tank. I would like to do a zoa garden on one side of tank with some rare zoas. On the other side of the tank I would like to do a mutli-level island with a cave not sure how I want to populate this side. Probably go with more branch types. There are some great coral people in my area so I should be able to find some great pieces.

Fish wise I definitely will have a clown, my wife loves pandas so once the foliage grows out I will add a Panda Goby, I want a Green Mandrian but I need to see if I can build up the pod population first and also look for some that are known frozen eaters, I would love to have a Flame Angel. In the end it is all subject to change and mainly I want to have interesting things in there. My daughter is 6 months old so I want lots of color and movement.