Top Shelf Aquatics

How would you light a Mr Aqua 12 gallon long with these preferences?

stash98

I currently have a Mr. Aqua 11.4 and it's really cool, but I have been wanting the 12 long for a while.

Main reason is I think I could have a much better aquascape, and I also love the dimnsions.

That said, I am not sure how I would light it.

I know about the fixture that run lengthwise and rest on the left and right edges. The only issue I have there is that I want to run an AC70 on the left side of the tank like I do now. It just works and I'm not interested in drilling the tank.

I also do not have the room to hang lights, so that can't happen.

I am guessing I would need to run a gooseneck on the backside glass of the tank like I do now. I have a nanobox reef mini which works perfectly on this one. They are quite pricey though, so im exploring options.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. My tank is situated so it can be viewed from both the front and the back.

• Like 1

I don't know - I think I'd go with T5ho with a 12G long. You wouldn't need a lot of light, so the efficiency losses over LED are negligible. T5 is simpler and more predictable as well. Only reason I'd go with LED is if you're completely committed to the tuneable light. And even then a 2 bulb T5 would allow you to get the white/blue combo on. In such a tight format, a T5ho (or led strip light) will give you more dense / full growth without the shadowing issues of a spotlight.

• Like 1

I (and a lot of other 12L owners) use the Orbit Marine LED 36"-48" fixture. Fits the tank perfectly, and provides plenty of light (since the tank isn't too deep light penetrates all the way down. You could also put the light on some riser from Oceanbox Designs (https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/lightmaxx-stands-current-orbit-marinepro-led/)

There is also a Place on back SUMP you could use (https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/nano-revo-pob-sump/), but would eliminate the ability to see from both sides. This might work for you as well (https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/oceanbox-designs-aquamaxx-aio-reef-conversion/)

• Like 1

I currently am running a Mr. Aqua 12 long frag tank I've had set up for about 9 months and I have a dimable BuildMyLED on it that is awesome. I'm actually looking to sell it because I'm getting upgrading to a wifi enable light. Below are a couple pictures, let me know if you would want to buy it!

Thanks!

28445610374_a7fad4e84a_k.jpgIMG_0685 by Kegan McDaniel, on Flickr

29033820966_bb7f9bce96_k.jpgIMG_1582 by Kegan McDaniel, on Flickr

Just go with a current orbit marine non pro old model if u can find it. Than just rest the one side on the lid of the ac70. Done and done. Lol.

Just go with a current orbit marine non pro old model if u can find it. Than just rest the one side on the lid of the ac70. Done and done. Lol.

Hang on, you can do that and it's not crooked? That would be freaking awesome.

Cencalfishguy56

Hang on, you can do that and it's not crooked? That would be freaking awesome.

its definitely doable, get the current orbit marine, a shallow tank like this would be easy to light
  • Like 1

U would need a rise of u want it level. I personally wouldn't care if it wa level. If anything on the side closer to the ac70 where it was raised some would naturally create a slightly lower light zone.

Def get the older model and the non pro version. Pro version is waste. Also, in the newest model(not sure if released yet) they use less leds but each one has more power so it equals the output within three watts or so of the old model, but the more LEDs in the old model will give a much more even spread of light and coverage.

• Like 1
Oceanbox Designs

That is killer! My dumb question of the day - Based on my dimensions of 35.4 wide, do I need the 36-48 or the 25-36?

Thank you! It's still work in progress after 2yrs believe it or not.

You need the 36-48", the deal I found is for that length.

• Like 1

Thank you! It's still work in progress after 2yrs believe it or not.

You need the 36-48", the deal I found is for that length.

Thank you. Ordered it. I couldn't pass that deal up.

• Like 1
Oceanbox Designs

Thank you. Ordered it. I couldn't pass that deal up.

Glad to help! It's a great light, plenty enough even for SPS in such a shallow tank

Yes it's a great light and u definitely just saved 70-80 bucks. Most online vendors still sell the old model. On a shallow tank it can grow pretty much everything. I have a nanobox now but I honestly used to love the blue from this light more. It has two diodes in 440-465 range where as nanobox only has one in that range.

• Like 1

I got the light and the tank today and set it up. The AC70 was too wide to fit on the side of the tank, it was essentially just too big in general, so I guess I can sell somebody an AC70 Intank media basket now. :(

Got lucky and found the last Fluval U2 filter in my area, I immediately grabbed it and it's in the back left of the tank, along with 2 Hydro Karolia powerheads on each. Great flow in the tank, and the tank runs incredibly quiet, which I like. Was curious if anyonse used the Fluval filter. I was thinking about putting some chemi pure pouches in one of the slots but wasn't sure if that was a great idea or not.

I'm setting up the light now. It works great, now I need to get the timer all dialed in. Looks like I won't need to lift it since I got the submersible filter. It fits perfectly on top.

Really glad I got this thing. It is such a cool shape for a fish tank. Pretty amazing! Ill make a tank thread once the water clears up and im all finished with everything.

I woild use chemipure blue once the cycle is done.

Try using filter floss instead of sponges and replace it 2x a week. Sponges trap detritus and nutrient levels will increase.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I have this tank and the current orbit but the lights seem to be bleaching my Zoas and maybe even slowly melting them. Just curious if anyone has suggestions on what levels to set the blue and white levels at?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mattis said:

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I have this tank and the current orbit but the lights seem to be bleaching my Zoas and maybe even slowly melting them. Just curious if anyone has suggestions on what levels to set the blue and white levels at?

I turn the whites almost all the way down on mine. I’ll have to check but I think mine are 30% or maybe lower. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 12:11 AM, Mattis said:

You should open a thread for your issue rather than making a zombie thread.

The problem is not your light...just make sure it looks abut "20,000K".  Mostly blue, just enough white to look good to you.   

Please run a complete set of water tests including no3 and po4 and include them in your new thread.  (feel free to link your thread here afterward)