Cultivated Reef

Snow's Bridge of Flowers

Snow_Phoenix

I'm sorry I haven't been able to comment I had my gall bladder surgery, I had some stones larger than a pair of dice. There are more in the muck. The muck looks gross. And to think the last 10 yrs I hadn't had any pain til 12/29, dr was amazed.

20170126_193935_zpsufpbo8ag.jpg

20170126_213756_zpskezzvjmk.jpg

I'd agree with you right now, a lot going on, take a rest, a breather. I've been at my mother's home since last Thurs, I just came home today since I can move around more w/ less pain than before. Finally yesterday I could get into a car by just sitting down in it, not having to sit my behind first, then swing my feet in like an old person.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry I haven't been able to comment I had my gall bladder surgery, I had some stones larger than a pair of dice. There are more in the muck. The muck looks gross. And to think the last 10 yrs I hadn't had any pain til 12/29, dr was amazed.

20170126_193935_zpsufpbo8ag.jpg

20170126_213756_zpskezzvjmk.jpg

I'd agree with you right now, a lot going on, take a rest, a breather. I've been at my mother's home since last Thurs, I just came home today since I can move around more w/ less pain than before. Finally yesterday I could get into a car by just sitting down in it, not having to sit my behind first, then swing my feet in like an old person.

Ouch! So many incisions - I sympathize. I didn't like the feeling of being all stitched up and dependent on others for movement/travel after surgery either. And those stones look big and painful. I can't imagine having them sneakily living in your gallbladder for so long. Shooting more prayers your way that you get better soon. :flower:

Ouch! So many incisions - I sympathize. I didn't like the feeling of being all stitched up and dependent on others for movement/travel after surgery either. And those stones look big and painful. I can't imagine having them sneakily living in your gallbladder for so long. Shooting more prayers your way that you get better soon. :flower:

I feel my best so far today. It's really going to be hard to go to work. My mom took care of everything for a week, now I have to be grown up again. Did a little grocery shopping. Getting my tax information together and that's really it.

I feel my best so far today. It's really going to be hard to go to work. My mom took care of everything for a week, now I have to be grown up again. Did a little grocery shopping. Getting my tax information together and that's really it.

That's good that you're healing up fairly quickly. And yes, it can be hard going back to work when you're still not feeling your best.

I'm still leaving my tank to sit - more Eunicid worms popping out of the LR - it's so creepy to see how many pests these two rocks hold. My flu hasn't abated and has actually worsened, but at least I'm able to swallow today. Yesterday and the day before was horrible.

No doubt, not being able to swallow is bad. Today was the first day I haven't had the constant bloating, gassing burping up & no yawning with pain. So, time to heal and I also believe probiotic 8x juice or Kefir daily has been extremely helpful for me. I don't want to be a grown-up next week, it was nice being waited on by my mom. She felt useful, I mean it in a good way- she wants to help when she can.

No doubt, not being able to swallow is bad. Today was the first day I haven't had the constant bloating, gassing burping up & no yawning with pain. So, time to heal and I also believe probiotic 8x juice or Kefir daily has been extremely helpful for me. I don't want to be a grown-up next week, it was nice being waited on by my mom. She felt useful, I mean it in a good way- she wants to help when she can.

Ouch - bloating/gassing isn't fun. And I understand what you mean. Both my parents were very helpful when I was newly operated on. Even today, my mother did the cooking and whipped up some scrambled eggs for lunch just for me - since I'm having trouble keeping down more solid food. As soon as she resumes work next Sunday however, I'll have to nip out to the restaurant to get my own lunch - hopefully by then I'll feel much more stronger and my legs won't wobble as much.

I'm sending you both good vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be well.

Thank you, WV Reefer.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been 2 weeks, but a quick update - it looks like an upgrade for my discus tank is imminent. I'm actually more than content to maintain my current 30G high, but my eels have grown so much over the past 9 months and my fish are having skirmishes due to territory disputes in the tank because they've grown bigger (the largest discus is bordering 5.5" now). Putting in more plants to break up their line of sight isn't helping as much as I thought it would have. 

I'll most likely either upgrade to a 90G high or 120G high and stop there. Have to move one of my birds out of the pet room though, since we lack the space for a larger tank. I'll keep the 30G as a spare tank in the event of an upgrade. I'm thinking of building a custom two-tier cabinet that can support 2 aquariums - one on each deck. So the larger DT goes on top, smaller one goes below.

I still haven't given away my clownfish and crab. I've grown hopelessly attached to them. I got a small clump of halimeda free from the LFS and the clown loves weaving between the fan-shaped blades. 10G nano is still empty and not cleared out yet. My dad came up with an interesting suggestion - he told me to treat the 10G as a larger QT itself and move both the clown and crab in there with the Chaeto and halimeda - but don't add any rock or sand to the tank. That way it's an empty tank, but very low-maintenance and manageable. I told him I was planning on quitting until I get better, but both my parents told me not to quit (weirdly). Turns out they like the sea critters I keep too. 

I do have smaller pieces of LR (about 1kg in total) in the sump, still sitting there, but am debating to KISS with this next...venture. Not sure if it's advisable, but what do you silent lurkers think? I know LR is integral to maintaining a growing bacteria population, but remember, I do have LR, just in the sump. And even now, 2/3 of the 5G QT I have is taken up by Chaeto and Halimeda. 

On 2/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, Snow_Phoenix said:

I know it's been 2 weeks, but a quick update - it looks like an upgrade for my discus tank is imminent. I'm actually more than content to maintain my current 30G high, but my eels have grown so much over the past 9 months and my fish are having skirmishes due to territory disputes in the tank because they've grown bigger (the largest discus is bordering 5.5" now). Putting in more plants to break up their line of sight isn't helping as much as I thought it would have. 

I'll most likely either upgrade to a 90G high or 120G high and stop there. Have to move one of my birds out of the pet room though, since we lack the space for a larger tank. I'll keep the 30G as a spare tank in the event of an upgrade. I'm thinking of building a custom two-tier cabinet that can support 2 aquariums - one on each deck. So the larger DT goes on top, smaller one goes below.

I still haven't given away my clownfish and crab. I've grown hopelessly attached to them. I got a small clump of halimeda free from the LFS and the clown loves weaving between the fan-shaped blades. 10G nano is still empty and not cleared out yet. My dad came up with an interesting suggestion - he told me to treat the 10G as a larger QT itself and move both the clown and crab in there with the Chaeto and halimeda - but don't add any rock or sand to the tank. That way it's an empty tank, but very low-maintenance and manageable. I told him I was planning on quitting until I get better, but both my parents told me not to quit (weirdly). Turns out they like the sea critters I keep too. 

I do have smaller pieces of LR (about 1kg in total) in the sump, still sitting there, but am debating to KISS with this next...venture. Not sure if it's advisable, but what do you silent lurkers think? I know LR is integral to maintaining a growing bacteria population, but remember, I do have LR, just in the sump. And even now, 2/3 of the 5G QT I have is taken up by Chaeto and Halimeda. 

Hope you are continuing to heal up!

ive always wanted discus.  They are so beautiful but seem like too much of a pain.  I am trying to get myself re-interested in my Planted Tank but now I think my 75 Gallon will eventually transition to saltwater.  

I dont see see why you would have any problems with just the rubble in there.  I am big on keeping it simple. :)

On 2/24/2017 at 10:54 PM, WV Reefer said:

Hope you are continuing to heal up!

ive always wanted discus.  They are so beautiful but seem like too much of a pain.  I am trying to get myself re-interested in my Planted Tank but now I think my 75 Gallon will eventually transition to saltwater.  

I dont see see why you would have any problems with just the rubble in there.  I am big on keeping it simple. :)

Thank you, Christy. I'll definitely work on keeping it simple. :happy:

I had a fungal outbreak hit the discus tank 3 days ago - only 1 discus affected so far, but it's a pain regardless. I'm still trying to shuffle everyone around to make more room - but the house is due for a major overhaul in the upcoming month, and we might be temporarily shifting out until the new flooring is done and the renovation is complete. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately - the previous developers did a piss poor job in the tiling, and now we have heated air pockets trapped under the tiles that expand during hot days and cause the whole flooring to arch upwards and explode (literally). And after the last mini-explosion that took out a chunk of the dining room floor last week, I think it really hit my parents on how serious the situation is and how unsafe the house has become. Honestly, it looks like we've endured an earthquake. Thank goodness the pillars didn't crack...or worse.

So I'm putting the transfer on hold since we will take all the animals with us when/if we temporarily move out. When we return, I'll get started on upgrading the discus tank and transferring my clownfish to the KISS-nano.

18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Thank you, Christy. I'll definitely work on keeping it simple. :happy:

I had a fungal outbreak hit the discus tank 3 days ago - only 1 discus affected so far, but it's a pain regardless. I'm still trying to shuffle everyone around to make more room - but the house is due for a major overhaul in the upcoming month, and we might be temporarily shifting out until the new flooring is done and the renovation is complete. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately - the previous developers did a piss poor job in the tiling, and now we have heated air pockets trapped under the tiles that expand during hot days and cause the whole flooring to arch upwards and explode (literally). And after the last mini-explosion that took out a chunk of the dining room floor last week, I think it really hit my parents on how serious the situation is and how unsafe the house has become. Honestly, it looks like we've endured an earthquake. Thank goodness the pillars didn't crack...or worse.

So I'm putting the transfer on hold since we will take all the animals with us when/if we temporarily move out. When we return, I'll get started on upgrading the discus tank and transferring my clownfish to the KISS-nano.

Exploding floors! Holy sh*t! lol

a few years ago we moved out for two months while our whole house was renovated inside.......it was so stressful. I had two freshwater tanks at that time.  We actually moved into the house next door, so it was like, "so close, yet so far away".

We also have three dogs and two cats, so it was kinda of like a F'd up version of camping.  I think I've actually blocked most of it out! :lol:

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Exploding floors! Holy sh*t! lol

a few years ago we moved out for two months while our whole house was renovated inside.......it was so stressful. I had two freshwater tanks at that time.  We actually moved into the house next door, so it was like, "so close, yet so far away".

We also have three dogs and two cats, so it was kinda of like a F'd up version of camping.  I think I've actually blocked most of it out! :lol:

Haha, I can imagine! Only problem is there's only one empty house available two blocks away - but the agent is adamant on selling it out and not renting the property. We're still hunting high-and-low for a suitable place to stay. It's not going to be easy moving everything out for two months, and then moving everything back in, as you've said and experienced. My parents are worried sick - I don't blame them. The cost of re-flooring the whole house is five figures - but if we don't do it now, we risk more 'explosions'. If someone is caught directly in the line of fire when the floor cracks and breaks upward during one of the many erratic explosions, whoever it is will end up in the hospital with either major lacerations on their foot - or in my folks case, a possible broken hip if they fall. It's too risky and dangerous. 

Might as well get it fixed now than wait for someone to get seriously hurt. 

4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Haha, I can imagine! Only problem is there's only one empty house available two blocks away - but the agent is adamant on selling it out and not renting the property. We're still hunting high-and-low for a suitable place to stay. It's not going to be easy moving everything out for two months, and then moving everything back in, as you've said and experienced. My parents are worried sick - I don't blame them. The cost of re-flooring the whole house is five figures - but if we don't do it now, we risk more 'explosions'. If someone is caught directly in the line of fire when the floor cracks and breaks upward during one of the many erratic explosions, whoever it is will end up in the hospital with either major lacerations on their foot - or in my folks case, a possible broken hip if they fall. It's too risky and dangerous. 

Might as well get it fixed now than wait for someone to get seriously hurt. 

I agree, much better to get it over with. 

• 1 month later...
Snow_Phoenix

Hey everyone. I know it's been slightly more than a month, but a lot has happened within these past 4.5 weeks.

For starters, we were supposed to move to get the house fixed. We found a nice 1.5-storey house, but right after viewing it, one of the next-door neighbors marched out of the house and hurled a racial slur. Her son also kept flipping off my mother and the real estate agent. My mom was quite traumatized after the whole incident - she's not used to having abuse thrown at her (verbal or otherwise), so we stopped looking for another place to stay. This meant I could keep all my current tanks, animals with no issue.

This is my ugly, not-so-pretty makeshift marine tank atm. The most recent addition is a sixline wrasse which was added 3 weeks ago:

17457660_10154512040106342_6785142625960

Also, something really terrible happened about 2.5 weeks ago. The HA fogged the neighborhood again, and this time, it killed half my fish load in the discus tank and one of my parrots. I rushed my bird to emergency vet care but I couldn't save him - he died after 1 day of treatment due to respiratory complications. :tears:

14520355_10153994193916342_2314924398097

R.I.P. Julian. :(

He used to sing very well, and he loved my mom. Both of us cried a lot when he passed - it was horrible. I couldn't stand to see his cage empty, so I disinfected it thoroughly, sunned it, and got two new cockatiel chicks two weeks later. 

17629996_10154509888951342_6143364610391

Also, here's the fate of the 10G nano. It's been converted into a planted Betta paradise using ADA Africana soil, live plants, Malayan driftwood, one lucky betta and four tiny catfish.

17499124_10154499267706342_4581403811746

So there it goes. I think once the house is truly fixed up, I will try to shift some furniture around in the pet room and move all my tanks in there. I will most likely keep the KISS marine tank, since I've grown fond of my clownfish and newly acquired wrasse. She's active and really vibrant. 

Archived