SaltCritters.com

HELP: xenia not looking good

The Unit

i just got some xenia and its not looking good, but eveything else in the tank looks nice. I have the xenia rubberbanded around a rock so it will attatch. it was pulsing like crazy when i got it but after a few hours it stoped. now after 3 days it still has not attatched and some parts ofit look yellow in collor. It has never fully opened in my tank...can anyone help...

i have a lot of xenia and just fragged some, i usualy don't rubber band it to things, try soving the stalk into a shell and don't really hold it hard with the rubber band, it can cut through the stalk, and try dosing it with some calcium. but don't worry it's so "hardy" it can make you want to pull out your hair, so it'll be fine.

I've had xenia frag and it has died (or so I thought) 3 times now. It turned yellow, stopped pulsing, and withered away to nothing. 3-4 months later, it always comes back in full force bigger than the orginal frag. Everytime this happened for no reason at all. All other coral were fine and water param perfect. Good luck with yours!

Dosing Calcium? What for? I have heard that iodine can help although I have not seen any improvement. In my experience, oxegenation is key. If you have a low flow tank, get the oxygen exchange going by increasing flow or bubbling the tank. Are you running a skimmer? That may also help increase oxygen.

Archived