Top Shelf Aquatics

Australia's Spiciest 34 Litre Nano: DIY frag rank (bottom of pg 6)

pappadumplingz

pappadumplingz

Great little tank!

Thanks Stella. Means a lot coming from you.

What's your plan for catching the crab? Inverted bottle with bait?

I'm gonna use a glass jar with some mysis in it, and place it so the crab can get in, but not out.

• Like 4
pappadumplingz

Here I thought you were catching crabs :o was going to say look out who you............................oh crap forgot your a youngster :lol:

Hahaha. That reminds me of a vid I watched where scientists were catching crabs at Yorkeys knob in Cairns for a mantis shrimp

• Like 2

Thanks Stella. Means a lot coming from you.

I'm gonna use a glass jar with some mysis in it, and place it so the crab can get in, but not out.

In my first tank, I had two hitchhiker crabs that decimated my snail population twice! I caught one using a water bottle with the top inverted with a piece of frozen raw cocktail shrimp. The other was too smart! I used a shot glasswoth a piece of shrimp glued to the bottom, leaned it up against his cave and when he fell in, I had him! Took a few days though

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Update:

So the crab catching didn't work, but I'm not sure if the crab is still alive. So I will try again in the future. On another note, I got some new stuff today, and did the second water change of the week. Lucked out and got myself a kryptonite candy cane frag for only $6. I also got a money cowrie and a mini trochus snail for algae control. Decided to mount some corals too, which is why I did the water change, to rid of the nasty stuff on the coral putty.

Pics:

O8MWgAD.jpg

The money cowrie is the little white shell

ggeH78t.jpg

• Like 4
pappadumplingz

I love kryptonite candy canes! I have yet too find one at a decent price. How's the trachy healing?

I guess the trachy is healing okay. Only time will tell though. I'll probably try to feed it, but this particular one doesn't extend its feeder tentacles out very far.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
pappadumplingz

Been a while nano reef. Been super lazy with the tank, since firefish died over the holidays. Planning to get it back into shape, and grab a new light. Also depressed since everyones tanks look better than mine.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Been a while nano reef. Been super lazy with the tank, since firefish died over the holidays. Planning to get it back into shape, and grab a new light. Also depressed since everyones tanks look better than mine.

We're happy to cheer you on from the sidelines as you revive it!!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Nah....mine looks worse.  Doing a revamp sooner or later.

fishfreak0114

Aww sorry to hear your fish died :(. I'm sure in no time your tank is gonna look awesome (if it doesn't already). What kind of light?

pappadumplingz

Aight, so after my long nano reef absence, I'm back. I have been neglecting the tank, and I went on to see all these other tanks progressing so much, so I decided to clean it up. I accidentally broke the lid while cleaning, and since my light, which I was planning on replacing anyway doesn't have working mounting legs, I need a new light. I'm planning on getting an sbox 16 inch basic, which is $171 aud, which is pretty good.

It turns out the light comes with the power supply of the country it's being shipped to, so that's a bonus. Since my firefish died over the holidays due to the heat I presume, I am planning on restocking with a regular firefish, and a coral croucher. Also lost a goniastrea, a hammer, which was my first coral, and my WA scoly due to the heat. One of my frogspawn's is also badly bleached, and my $45 dollar chalice has been slowly melting away (any advice on what to do). I started a freshwater tank, so I thought I'd throw a photo of that in too. 

Here is the FTS (Image looks drab because I'm using fuge light to light the tank atm)

Here is the froggy

Is that lump of algae bryopsis? And in the foreground is the melting chalice.

• Like 2

Nice to see you back!!

Can you put the Chalice in a shaded spot? 

It may be getting too much light. 

If possible, it would be good to do a simple lugol's dip on it as well. 1 cup tankwater, 2 drops lugol's iodine, 3-5 minutes. 

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Coral crouchers are neat!  The tanks looking good :) Can't wait to see it with the new light. That's too bad about the heat, summer months can certainly be difficult. 

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Nice to see you back!!

Can you put the Chalice in a shaded spot? 

It may be getting too much light. 

If possible, it would be good to do a simple lugol's dip on it as well. 1 cup tankwater, 2 drops lugol's iodine, 3-5 minutes. 

Thanks. I was thinking of putting the chalice in a shadier spot. Its probably the reason its going so fast, but I see chalices under really intense light, and they do fine. I'll look into the dip, and I guess it would be good to get it anyway, because I have never dipped my corals (silly me).

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
3 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Coral crouchers are neat!  The tanks looking good :) Can't wait to see it with the new light. That's too bad about the heat, summer months can certainly be difficult. 

Crouchers are surprisingly cheap too ($25), but rare so it may be a while until I can get one. Summer here is so messed up , and climate change is making it worse. Now it hits 40 degrees celcius (104 Fahrenheit).

fishfreak0114

Wow that's hot, we only get temps that high once in a while here. Iodine dips work great for coral, when my Duncan was brown jellying I did a couple dips and it recovered.  

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:21 AM, pappadumplingz said:

Oh cmon we all heard about the kangaroo :lol: 

Have to give you crap as you disappeared........

• Like 1
3 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Aight, so after my long nano reef absence, I'm back. I have been neglecting the tank, and I went on to see all these other tanks progressing so much, so I decided to clean it up. I accidentally broke the lid while cleaning, and since my light, which I was planning on replacing anyway doesn't have working mounting legs, I need a new light. I'm planning on getting an sbox 16 inch basic, which is $171 aud, which is pretty good.

It turns out the light comes with the power supply of the country it's being shipped to, so that's a bonus. Since my firefish died over the holidays due to the heat I presume, I am planning on restocking with a regular firefish, and a coral croucher. Also lost a goniastrea, a hammer, which was my first coral, and my WA scoly due to the heat. One of my frogspawn's is also badly bleached, and my $45 dollar chalice has been slowly melting away (any advice on what to do). I started a freshwater tank, so I thought I'd throw a photo of that in too. 

Here is the FTS (Image looks drab because I'm using fuge light to light the tank atm)

Here is the froggy

Is that lump of algae bryopsis? And in the foreground is the melting chalice.

Everyone gets busy. Good to see you back though! 

• Like 1

+1 on putting the chalice in the shade. But I've found that chalices are one of those corals that let me know early that the tank isn't in great shape, so hopefully it's not too late.

It's hard to tell about the bryopsis from the picture, but it kind of looks like it.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

+1 on putting the chalice in the shade. But I've found that chalices are one of those corals that let me know early that the tank isn't in great shape, so hopefully it's not too late.

It's hard to tell about the bryopsis from the picture, but it kind of looks like it.

So I went to my fish store to get my cal, alk and mag lvls check, and they are all out of wack. mag is 1140, alk is 4 and Ca is 375. This is probably the cause of the no water changes in forever. So I'm going to do a bunch of 50% percent water changes tomorrow and on Tuesday to try fix this issue.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, pappadumplingz said:

So I went to my fish store to get my cal, alk and mag lvls check, and they are all out of wack. mag is 1140, alk is 4 and Ca is 375. This is probably the cause of the no water changes in forever. So I'm going to do a bunch of 50% percent water changes tomorrow and on Tuesday to try fix this issue.

Maybe do 25% .....you don't want to correct it too fast either....although I would probably just do 50% as well....

• Like 3
pappadumplingz
7 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Maybe do 25% .....you don't want to correct it too fast either....although I would probably just do 50% as well....

I just did a water change yesterday, so I guess 25% would be fine.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Aight so I  finally have seen part of the gorilla crab. It's bloody huge and it probably killed my firefish. Not sure how to rid of it. Any ideas?

pappadumplingz

Have been doing a bunch of water changes over the past week. Probably gonna order the SB reefs spritebox gen 2, seems like a good light.