Top Shelf Aquatics

Australia's Spiciest 34 Litre Nano: DIY frag rank (bottom of pg 6)

pappadumplingz

It might outcompete the marine pure though, making it inert,

It'll compete with the bacteria, but it won't outright decimate the bacterial population. Maybe once you remove the purigen the biological filter has to restrengthen/rebuild, but it's not going to be absolutely sterile if you continue to feed the tank :P

• Like 1
jedimasterben

It might outcompete the marine pure though, making it inert, so if the filtration in the quarantine tank is sufficient, I'd just leave it.

Purigen is nowhere near that efficient :) It's good stuff but it can't replace seeded biomedia in a QT tank. Do you have Seachem Ammonia Alert badges available down there? They're one of the best things ever for quarantine, gives you a live reading of free ammonia in the water.

• Like 3
pappadumplingz

Purigen is nowhere near that efficient :) It's good stuff but it can't replace seeded biomedia in a QT tank. Do you have Seachem Ammonia Alert badges available down there? They're one of the best things ever for quarantine, gives you a live reading of free ammonia in the water.

I'll see if I can pick one up. The tank isn't so much a quarantine, since the ich seems to be gone, I'm just giving it more space to move around. I will probably pick up an ammonia checker when I got pick up aquarium supplies. How long should I cycle the media for?

pappadumplingz

Time for some photos. Just cleaned out the tank. It was covered in hair algae, due to a refugium change, which got rid of a bit of macro. I decided to let the trochus snail out, since it had been in the breeder box for a week without food, and it went to town. Also moved the marine pure block over to the clownfish tank.

Photos:

Before water change:

Ww5Lxu7.jpg

t8ufVZe.jpg

There was heaps of hair algae at the back of the tankpOfaU0Q.jpg

After the water change:

1vAg3x8.jpg

gvpIGmw.jpg

Moved the platy here so the snail wouldn't knock it over. The firefish has taken up residence under it. Kinda reminds me of Finding Dory.

cyLrDfW.jpg

The trochus going ham on the hair algae

rMjkUjR.jpg

And here is the clownfish tank

zNmMkYV.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good after a water change. Its amazing how much difference it makes. I always find that I don't notice the mess as it builds up gradually and when I get around to doing the maintenance I'm surprised at how much better it looks lol.

pappadumplingz

Looking good after a water change. Its amazing how much difference it makes. I always find that I don't notice the mess as it builds up gradually and when I get around to doing the maintenance I'm surprised at how much better it looks lol.

True. In about a week the sand gets a green tinge, and when I syphon through it with a turkey baster, it turns white. Everything does look better with a bit of tlc.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
pappadumplingz

Came back from camp a week ago and said I was gonna do an update, and it didn't happen, so here it is now.

Before camp I checked the water in the quarantine and it was way off, so I dumped the clown back into the cube. I was worried it was gonna kill the firefish but much to my surprise, when I came back from camp, they seemed to be getting along fine.

Recently the clown has been looking quite skinny on its flanks, and I'm not sure why. I will wait to see what happens, and if he will regain weight.

Also, yesterday, when I was cleaning the tank, some sand got stuck on the pavona, which I thought was a lepto, so I blew the sand off it with my turkey baster, and some of the coral bleached. Idk whats going on at this point.

Photos:

uvWPiEI.jpg

BGSyQd3.jpg

cTEdkWB.jpg

zhxUpIL.jpg

• Like 7
pappadumplingz

So I went to one of the fish stores I normally go yesterday, aiming to walk out with a clown goby, but ended up walking out with this thing

GG6yYkI.jpg

The guys at the store said it was a bar goby, which it turned out not to be (still don't know what it is) and they said would be a good eater like most gobies, which it is. It burrowed really fast into the sand yesterday and stayed there until it came out this morning, and has stayed out since. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Also saw a wobbegong at the store which was sick.

• Like 3

One of the good LFS's in Adelaide have a huge octagon shaped tank with a few little sharks in it, really cool thing to see. I'm not sure on that fish though, definitely doesn't looks like a goby, I'd almost say wrasse based on its shape and the fact that it dove straight into the sand.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

One of the good LFS's in Adelaide have a huge octagon shaped tank with a few little sharks in it, really cool thing to see. I'm not sure on that fish though, definitely doesn't looks like a goby, I'd almost say wrasse based on its shape and the fact that it dove straight into the sand.

Well I have found out it is a Pastel Ring Wrasse, which will grow to a foot when it is an adult. It also likes to eat smaller fish as an adult. So yea.

• Like 2

Well I have found out it is a Pastel Ring Wrasse, which will grow to a foot when it is an adult. It also likes to eat smaller fish as an adult. So yea.

After taking a look I think you are right. My advice would be to take it back to the LFS, it will just cause you headaches as it grows. It may be timid now but as it establishes its territory it will probably bully that firefish to death in such a small tank.

pappadumplingz

After taking a look I think you are right. My advice would be to take it back to the LFS, it will just cause you headaches as it grows. It may be timid now but as it establishes its territory it will probably bully that firefish to death in such a small tank.

Sounds like a plan. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to give me at least credit for the fish. I don't know how they could mix up a goby and a wrasse.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to give me at least credit for the fish. I don't know how they could mix up a goby and a wrasse.

I'd push it back on them, explain the situation. They provided you something that was not what they said it was. Under Aus consumer law you are entitled to a full refund or credit.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I'd push it back on them, explain the situation. They provided you something that was not what they said it was. Under Aus consumer law you are entitled to a full refund or credit.

You're reminding me about my commerce class hehe. If the situation goes south then I'll play that card.

• Like 1

You're reminding me about my commerce class hehe. If the situation goes south then I'll play that card.

I went through a huge ordeal earlier this year trying to buy a set of wheels for my car. They took my money for a stocked item, told me they no longer sell it (while their website still said 'in stock'), blamed their web developer, tried to upsell me to a more expensive product and then said if I cancelled the order they were keeping 20% of what I paid as a re-stocking fee for an item they no longer stock and have no stock of. I read up on a lot of consumer law over the course of that month lol. You should be fine :), if it is reputable LFS they should be accommodating, just stick to your guns and don't go in aggressive straight out of the gate.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

I went through a huge ordeal earlier this year trying to buy a set of wheels for my car. They took my money for a stocked item, told me they no longer sell it (while their website still said 'in stock'), blamed their web developer, tried to upsell me to a more expensive product and then said if I cancelled the order they were keeping 20% of what I paid as a re-stocking fee for an item they no longer stock and have no stock of. I read up on a lot of consumer law over the course of that month lol. You should be fine :), if it is reputable LFS they should be accommodating, just stick to your guns and don't go in aggressive straight out of the gate.

What a scummy business. You must have paid a fair bit for those wheels for them to want 20%.

• Like 1

What a scummy business. You must have paid a fair bit for those wheels for them to want 20%.

When you are spending $1000 on a set of wheels, 20% is a lot to loose for their stuff up lol.

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

So I was essentially shutdown and backed into a corner when I tried to explain my predicament, with the man on the phone saying because he had been in the aquarium game for twice as long as I have been alive, that I was wrong and that it was a Chinese zebra goby or bar goby, both of which are dart fish. So I will send photos via their Facebook, and see if I get a more reasonable response.

So I was essentially shutdown and backed into a corner when I tried to explain my predicament, with the man on the phone saying because he had been in the aquarium game for twice as long as I have been alive, that I was wrong and that it was a Chinese zebra goby or bar goby, both of which are dart fish. So I will send photos via their Facebook, and see if I get a more reasonable respond

Wow that's ridiculous! If you can't get your money back, do you think they'd at least take the fish back? Or would they force you to keep a fish that can't be happy in your tank? Thankfully I haven't had any issues like this (yet). The store I go to the most is owned by a really nice guy who accepts endless frags of GSP from me and I get free mysis in return :)

• Like 1
pappadumplingz

Wow that's ridiculous! If you can't get your money back, do you think they'd at least take the fish back? Or would they force you to keep a fish that can't be happy in your tank? Thankfully I haven't had any issues like this (yet). The store I go to the most is owned by a really nice guy who accepts endless frags of GSP from me and I get free mysis in return :)

I have sent the pm on Facebook and I'm awaiting a response. It seems that stores in the U.S and Canada are more lax on returns and trade ins, and understand that it is in the best interest of the fish more than anything.

Just got the reasonable response, and I will be able to return the fish.

• Like 2

So I was essentially shutdown and backed into a corner when I tried to explain my predicament, with the man on the phone saying because he had been in the aquarium game for twice as long as I have been alive, that I was wrong and that it was a Chinese zebra goby or bar goby, both of which are dart fish. So I will send photos via their Facebook, and see if I get a more reasonable response.

That sucks dude! Definitely send them a picture. They must be on drugs because just looking at this fish its easy to see that it's not a goby or dart fish. The head is completely different.

pappadumplingz

That sucks dude! Definitely send them a picture. They must be on drugs because just looking at this fish its easy to see that it's not a goby or dart fish. The head is completely different.

He thought that it was a dart goby because there were bar gobies in the tank, which I didn't see. I was under the impression that the wrasse was a dart goby, so i asked for it. It isn't entirely the stores fault, but I am happy that we have come to a solution.

• Like 2

He thought that it was a dart goby because there were bar gobies in the tank, which I didn't see. I was under the impression that the wrasse was a dart goby, so i asked for it. It isn't entirely the stores fault, but I am happy that we have come to a solution.

Ah got ya. That's why I always google anything on my phone while at the LFS before I buy. Live Aquaria is great for for giving you a picture based on the name on the glass. It's usually the first hit on Google also. Glad you managed to sort it out though.

• Like 1