Cultivated Reef

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

Ninja are you noticing any dead spots with the flow? I'm struggling to figure out the best placement for my two return nozzles...

yup, dead spot at the back of the tank

If you are to part out the pump how much would it be? It would be perfect for the AIO i got

which pump? the 606 for the Spec or the stock pump for the Evo?

I know! and my parents love them, that's pretty much all they buy when I'm not at home. I'll have to warn them again to be wary.

palys are evil, zoas are pretty

Tank has recovered nicely so I added a frogspawn from the reefer and yellow gorgonian from LFS. The new yellow gorgonian is a lot more vibrant than the one in the reefer now. This must mean I am blasting the old one with too much light but not much I can do about that since it's right under the light. This one will probably loose some of its vibrant color too since it's right under the Nanobox. Oh well.

Really love this peninsula look

29406579671_450289ce1a_c.jpg

Almost looks like a cube with this angle

28861980994_b713de05d3_c.jpg

Normal FTS

29378043152_2f77972f71_c.jpg

keeping the Spec as a QT tank for now. But not sure if that's long term. Will let you know if I part it out.

• Like 11

Read your ordeal with the Protopalys :o. I bought some 'Captain America' protpalys recently and when I accidentally smushed one polyp a little all my Rhodactis shriveled and exuded their mesenterial filaments, but surprisingly nothing else showed any adverse reaction.

A quick trip to the LFS and they are happiliy no longer in my tank.. IMO, true Palthoa and Protopalythoa are just too much of a risk, especially in a Pico/Nano tank.

Tank looks 'the bees-knees'! :)

• Like 1

Tank looks so good! I wish I could keep my glass this clean! I still haven't got my nanobox back :( We had a lot of problems with shipping so i'm hoping that helps with the algae.

• Like 1

Read your ordeal with the Protopalys :o. I bought some 'Captain America' protpalys recently and when I accidentally smushed one polyp a little all my Rhodactis shriveled and exuded their mesenterial filaments, but surprisingly nothing else showed any adverse reaction.

A quick trip to the LFS and they are happiliy no longer in my tank.. IMO, true Palthoa and Protopalythoa are just too much of a risk, especially in a Pico/Nano tank.

Tank looks 'the bees-knees'! :)

your post just reminded me that I have sunny d PALYs and I have dipped them in H202 before and they dont slime up. I guess not all palys are bad? Makes it even more dangerous since you dont know if you have bad ones or not....

Tank looks so good! I wish I could keep my glass this clean! I still haven't got my nanobox back :( We had a lot of problems with shipping so i'm hoping that helps with the algae.

Thanks! Hope you get your nanobox back soon. It's perfect for this tank.

Are your other gorgonians photosynthetic? Do you have to feed the yellow one? Beautiful tank. That splash of yellow makes it pop.

Yes, all the other gorgonians are photosynthetic. I actually dont feed corals in this tank with anything....i probably should now that I have the nonphotosynthetic gorgonian. I feed my big tank with PhytoPlan twice a week.

• Like 1

your post just reminded me that I have sunny d PALYs and I have dipped them in H202 before and they dont slime up. I guess not all palys are bad? Makes it even more dangerous since you dont know if you have bad ones or not....

What many call 'Palys' in this hobby are actually Zoanthids (such as 'Sunny D's', Petroglyphs, etc.). Perhaps the best method to help identify a protopaly for us hobbyists is whether it has many sand particles imbedded in its stalk which gives it a rough texture. True palythoas have the polyp semi-imbedded in the base tissue, so no real visible stalk to speak of. Zoanthids typically have a very smooth stalk, but occasionally pick up just a few sand grains,

I have a boatload of Sunny D's that I routine annoy when I clean and they have been totaly harmless to the tank (and me) :)

• Like 2

Tank has recovered nicely so I added a frogspawn from the reefer and yellow gorgonian from LFS. The new yellow gorgonian is a lot more vibrant than the one in the reefer now. This must mean I am blasting the old one with too much light but not much I can do about that since it's right under the light. This one will probably loose some of its vibrant color too since it's right under the Nanobox. Oh well.

Really love this peninsula look

29406579671_450289ce1a_c.jpg

Almost looks like a cube with this angle

28861980994_b713de05d3_c.jpg

Normal FTS

29378043152_2f77972f71_c.jpg

keeping the Spec as a QT tank for now. But not sure if that's long term. Will let you know if I part it out.

That yellow Gorg :wub: . It just shines under the NanoBox. Wow. Not sure if you mentioned this yet, but is it similar to the one in the Reefer?

• Like 1

What many call 'Palys' in this hobby are actually Zoanthids (such as 'Sunny D's', Petroglyphs, etc.). Perhaps the best method to help identify a protopaly for us hobbyists is whether it has many sand particles imbedded in its stalk which gives it a rough texture. True palythoas have the polyp semi-imbedded in the base tissue, so no real visible stalk to speak of. Zoanthids typically have a very smooth stalk, but occasionally pick up just a few sand grains,

I have a boatload of Sunny D's that I routine annoy when I clean and they have been totaly harmless to the tank (and me) :)

Thanks for the ID tips. I will make sure to not pick up palys anymore.

That yellow Gorg :wub: . It just shines under the NanoBox. Wow. Not sure if you mentioned this yet, but is it similar to the one in the Reefer?

Yup, same type as far as I can tell. I may have to frag this one soon cuz it's so wide.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, this tank is really something. It's always so clean and the pictures are amazing.

I'm in the process of converting my freshwater Fluval Spec V into a saltwater tank and I'm so glad that you consistently updated your transition from the Spec V to this Evo. Now I have a successful tank to model after and I really like how you made upgrades over the stock items. I don't have access to a 606 so I'm planning on being a bit more clever about placement for my Koralia 240.

Apologies in advance if you've already answered this but can you go into more detail about your maintenance and which maintenance aspects have changed since you transitioned from the Spec V?

1. How frequent/large are your water changes?

2. What is your feeding frequency for the clown/bangaii?

3. Was the sandbed risky in the Spec V?

I am debating between barebottom and going with 1" coarse substrate (never had a sandbed before) but all this talk about nutrient sinks makes me nervous.

• Like 1

Boy, this tank is really something. It's always so clean and the pictures are amazing.

I'm in the process of converting my freshwater Fluval Spec V into a saltwater tank and I'm so glad that you consistently updated your transition from the Spec V to this Evo. Now I have a successful tank to model after and I really like how you made upgrades over the stock items. I don't have access to a 606 so I'm planning on being a bit more clever about placement for my Koralia 240.

Apologies in advance if you've already answered this but can you go into more detail about your maintenance and which maintenance aspects have changed since you transitioned from the Spec V?

1. How frequent/large are your water changes?

2. What is your feeding frequency for the clown/bangaii?

3. Was the sandbed risky in the Spec V?

I am debating between barebottom and going with 1" coarse substrate (never had a sandbed before) but all this talk about nutrient sinks makes me nervous.

Thanks!

1. I change 2-3 gallons a week in this tank. For the Spec V, I did 2 gallons change just cuz I am mixing water already for my big tank.

2. I feed frozen every day

3. I did sandbed, then bare bottom, then back to sandbed. I like the look of sandbed much better. When coraline started to grow on the bottom glass, it just looked bad. I keep the sandbed in the Spec pretty shallow and just vacuum it during water change.

• Like 2

Thanks!

1. I change 2-3 gallons a week in this tank. For the Spec V, I did 2 gallons change just cuz I am mixing water already for my big tank.

2. I feed frozen every day

3. I did sandbed, then bare bottom, then back to sandbed. I like the look of sandbed much better. When coraline started to grow on the bottom glass, it just looked bad. I keep the sandbed in the Spec pretty shallow and just vacuum it during water change.

Awesome! It seems like that maintenance has not changed much from the Spec V to this Evo 12 and that you keep the bioload low through vigorous and consistent water changes.

• Like 1