Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

Thanks! What's ur setting on your tide?

Comes off easily with razor or scraper. They are on the outside of the tank. Just a pain to clean them off completely. Definitely do it before you fill the tank.

So 6 channels on the quadw?

Yep, no moonlight, so the fan is on 6.
  • Like 1

I need to figure out what settings are ideal to be honest. I just kind of set it up to what looks good visually and want to see how things do...

Morning is low at (channels in order 1,2,3,4) 20%, 12%, 5%, and 6%

Midday is at 65%, 30%, 30%, 25%

Evening is at 30%, 20%, 15%, and 15%

I'd be curious to know what yours and other peoples are at to have a better reference point...

• Like 1

I need to figure out what settings are ideal to be honest. I just kind of set it up to what looks good visually and want to see how things do...

Morning is low at (channels in order 1,2,3,4) 20%, 12%, 5%, and 6%

Midday is at 65%, 30%, 30%, 25%

Evening is at 30%, 20%, 15%, and 15%

I'd be curious to know what yours and other peoples are at to have a better reference point...

oh wow, i run mine MUCH higher. I have 1 and 3 at like 90% midday...oops...

oh wow, i run mine MUCH higher. I have 1 and 3 at like 90% midday...oops...

You probably also have a much better idea of what you're doing! I don't want it too high too fast, but I'm sure I could increase my settings and be fine....?!

• Like 1

Ninja, I'm contemplating a longer tank for my kitchen island. How are you liking this tank so far? I'm not sure if this is what I'd like to go with or like an Mr Aqua 12 long. You've only had it running for a tiny bit now, thoughts on the back chambers?

Ninja, I'm contemplating a longer tank for my kitchen island. How are you liking this tank so far? I'm not sure if this is what I'd like to go with or like an Mr Aqua 12 long. You've only had it running for a tiny bit now, thoughts on the back chambers?

Back chamber is stupidly designed. But it is big enough for skimmer and good size pump. For the price, the tank is pretty good. But if I wasn't looking for this exact dimension to fit the existing arch rock, I would have gotten a IM 25. Aqua 12 long is great too, especially if you get an AIO insert.

• Like 1

Back chamber is stupidly designed. But it is big enough for skimmer and good size pump. For the price, the tank is pretty good. But if I wasn't looking for this exact dimension to fit the existing arch rock, I would have gotten a IM 25. Aqua 12 long is great too, especially if you get an AIO insert.

Hmm, I thought the back chambers would be an issue. I'm hoping they have a few at MACNA to look at. I also found this tank http://www.truaqua.com/eurostyle-bowfront-aquarium-es-24.htmlI could just put an AC70 on the back and be fine I think.

• Like 1

Hmm, I thought the back chambers would be an issue. I'm hoping they have a few at MACNA to look at. I also found this tank http://www.truaqua.com/eurostyle-bowfront-aquarium-es-24.htmlI could just put an AC70 on the back and be fine I think.

JBJ has a new AIO tank out too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=33146

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=33263

DrsFostersSmith has 20-25% off coupon often too. The dimension isn't quite what I wanted so I didn't do more research on the tank. The AIO part looks kind of small and cheap though.

Hell yes,another upgrade !??!! How are you liking it so far ? Did you happen to like the stock light or no ?

Stock light is very bright but white. I dont think corals will look good under it. Probably only good for softies and low light LPS. I had upgrade the light and pump so you are really buying the tank for its dimension...

• Like 1

JBJ has a new AIO tank out too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=33146

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=33263

DrsFostersSmith has 20-25% off coupon often too. The dimension isn't quite what I wanted so I didn't do more research on the tank. The AIO part looks kind of small and cheap though.

Stock light is very bright but white. I dont think corals will look good under it. Probably only good for softies and low light LPS. I had upgrade the light and pump so you are really buying the tank for its dimension...

That second one is a possibility. I'm not sold on the back chambers though. I'll keep looking! Thanks Ninja :)

• Like 1

I broke down the Spec today and transferred remaining zoa frags over. Two of the zoa frags have some greenish / blueish palys mixed in. I always suspected these palys are bad. I had similar ones in my old PicO 12g that I suspected nuked my tank once. I forgot about it and dipped these in some H202 to get rid of some algae. I put them into the Evo and within 10 mins all my mushrooms are spilling their guts and my hammer and Roger's frogspawns receded. Acans look really bad too. Thinking back to when my Spec had a mini crash, I was also cleaning the rock with some H202 and the rock had a few of the same paly on it. I am now 100% sure these palys are source of death.

I had a situation like that happen with my Purple Deaths,they slimmed up and killed a bunch of stuff. Are they a protopaly like Purple Deaths and Nuke Green's ? Maybe just toss em ?

Did the zoas or palys excreted slimy substance after the H2O2 dip?

yes, it was slimy. I should have known =(.

I had a situation like that happen with my Purple Deaths,they slimmed up and killed a bunch of stuff. Are they a protopaly like Purple Deaths and Nuke Green's ? Maybe just toss em ?

It's this. Not even that pretty and spread like the plague. And yea, I toss them. I still have a few polyps on the main rock though.

th.jpg

I've seen those listed as the "bad" kind of palythoa! I loved my nuc greens and my grandi palys but I got rid of both after I found out they are the most toxic. I realize I could safely manage them, but I was worried about the rest of the family including the pets. I just don't want it in the house period :lol:.

• Like 1

I've seen those listed as the "bad" kind of palythoa! I loved my nuc greens and my grandi palys but I got rid of both after I found out they are the most toxic. I realize I could safely manage them, but I was worried about the rest of the family including the pets. I just don't want it in the house period :lol:.

i just found this old thread of someone with the same paly crashing his tank. I can't believe I had 2 prior tank mini crash because of this and I still haven't learned. I hate throwing out corals, but this time I am glad I finally did it. I relocated Roger's frogspawn to the reefer and dropped in new carbon. Hope things look better tomorrow. Good thing I didn't get any in my eye or mouth or something.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337955-tank-crashing-and-possible-palytoxin-poisoning/

• Like 1

Seafoam palys. Good times, good times. I think when I initially found them in my tank, I disturbed them to see wtf they were and forgot that handwashing was important. Spent the evening/night nauseous, exhausted, etc.

I've been able to smother most of them, but two months later a single head popped out from underneath the epoxy-superglue grave. Lucky for me, I ordered new rocks shortly after. Those rocks are ready to be thrown out now c:

• Like 1

This is the reason I don't mess with any type of zoas or palys anymore as they all have toxins. Some are super sensitive that being out in open air for a few seconds will cause them to expel toxins, which is usually slime covering the entire polyp.

• Like 1

i just found this old thread of someone with the same paly crashing his tank. I can't believe I had 2 prior tank mini crash because of this and I still haven't learned. I hate throwing out corals, but this time I am glad I finally did it. I relocated Roger's frogspawn to the reefer and dropped in new carbon. Hope things look better tomorrow. Good thing I didn't get any in my eye or mouth or something.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337955-tank-crashing-and-possible-palytoxin-poisoning/

How are things looking today?

Yeah, I only have a few zoas but they are a pretty big colony now. I'll probably hang onto them because I do like the way they look. And I haven't seen them listed as the "bad" kind. But I'm still very cautious of them. I'm pretty sensitive to any coral actually. That's why I don't touch any of them bare handed if I can help it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Hope everything's ok! :) I had to toss a whole rock of sea foam Palys last winter because they were over growing my nice Zoas, and in my attempts to eradicate them, I was poisoning my tank! It seemed to effect my hammer and plate coral the most.

• Like 1

Seafoam palys. Good times, good times. I think when I initially found them in my tank, I disturbed them to see wtf they were and forgot that handwashing was important. Spent the evening/night nauseous, exhausted, etc.

I've been able to smother most of them, but two months later a single head popped out from underneath the epoxy-superglue grave. Lucky for me, I ordered new rocks shortly after. Those rocks are ready to be thrown out now c:

yes, seafoam palys! that's what i bought them as like 2 years ago. worst buy ever....blah. i may have to epoxy some that are still on my main rock.

This is the reason I don't mess with any type of zoas or palys anymore as they all have toxins. Some are super sensitive that being out in open air for a few seconds will cause them to expel toxins, which is usually slime covering the entire polyp.

yea, usually i am ok with zoas. i have razored them off rocks before with no issues.

How are things looking today?

Yeah, I only have a few zoas but they are a pretty big colony now. I'll probably hang onto them because I do like the way they look. And I haven't seen them listed as the "bad" kind. But I'm still very cautious of them. I'm pretty sensitive to any coral actually. That's why I don't touch any of them bare handed if I can help it.

Things are looking much better this morning. I think the extra carbon really helped. Hammer still looks a bit pissed off but otherwise, everything is good. Surprisingly I am allergic to a lot of things but I can handle corals just fine. But I should be more careful from now on. Only takes one incident for things to go really bad.

Hope everything's ok! :) I had to toss a whole rock of sea foam Palys last winter because they were over growing my nice Zoas, and in my attempts to eradicate them, I was poisoning my tank! It seemed to effect my hammer and plate coral the most.

yup, LPS seem to suffer the most.

• Like 1