Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

Christopher Marks
On 4/14/2018 at 8:23 PM, ninjamyst said:

Tank still growing strong.  Had to add a frag rack to save some zoas from the big tank.  Sold my Sony A6000 because the photos just never came out as good as my previous Nikon D7000 even though they both have ASPC sensor.  But I didn't want another big DSLR.  So I went and got a new Nikon J5.  It's Nikon's discontinued 1" mirrorless and it never got good reviews.  Despite all the hate, I really like my old Nikon J1 so I figure the J5 can't be worst.  I am surprised how much I enjoy the J5 for tank pictures.  The white balance is spot on, and I didn't have to do a lot of post processing at all.  

27591743428_555870e2cf_z.jpg

40569773635_027127a859_z.jpg

26591295417_f860678c20_z.jpg

How ya been @ninjamyst? What's new in my favorite little EVO 13.5?

I just reread what you posted about your new Nikon J5 camera, and those shots really are great! The Nikon 1 line didn't get enough love at the time, they really have impressive capabilities, and the size is great. No one wants to lug a big DSLR around anymore, they just end up collecting dust in time. What is your lens lineup for it like?

• Like 2
On 5/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How ya been @ninjamyst? What's new in my favorite little EVO 13.5?

I just reread what you posted about your new Nikon J5 camera, and those shots really are great! The Nikon 1 line didn't get enough love at the time, they really have impressive capabilities, and the size is great. No one wants to lug a big DSLR around anymore, they just end up collecting dust in time. What is your lens lineup for it like?

Hey Chris, thanks for dropping by!  Tank is doing great although my zoas been closing up lately.  Maybe things are toooo clean in here.  For the Nikon 1, I have the 18mm f1.8, 32mm f1.2, 10-30mm, and 10-100mm.  I am waiting for the price to drop on the 6.7-13mm and that will complete my collection.  I do wish there's a macro lens for the Nikon 1 as I miss macro tank photography a lot.  I tried doing some top down with the 10-100mm and only managed to get pics of corals near the top of the rockwork.

Single head gold torch has now turned into 4 😃

42443026151_82070f3bec_z.jpgDSC_0684

Frogspawn went from 4 heads to almost 10 now.  Constantly fighting with the torch.

41719874014_4742b8c1e1_z.jpgDSC_0681

Red gonopora doing great

40634937440_39bfba6f99_z.jpgDSC_0682

• Like 11
  • 2 months later...

wow, no time no update.  tank has been doing great!  LPS are outgrowing the tank!!!  My big tank is still in bad shape but this one is chugging along with minimal maintenance.  It's loaded with frags from the big tank right now.  Only thing that don't seem to grow in this tank are surprisingly my zoas.  

• Like 5
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

wow, no time no update.  tank has been doing great!  LPS are outgrowing the tank!!!  My big tank is still in bad shape but this one is chugging along with minimal maintenance.  It's loaded with frags from the big tank right now.  Only thing that don't seem to grow in this tank are surprisingly my zoas.  

Snag a quick iPhone picture! 

• Like 1
On 8/21/2018 at 5:52 PM, ninjamyst said:

Updated pic please, love your set up! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Went to Europe for 9 days and came home to a few casualties from overgrown corals stinging the crap out of each other.  Lost the new red goni and a few acans =(.  Stupid wall hammer coral is too big for this tank. 

Dang, sorry to hear that. I’ve been following your adventures with this tank for a while now so it feels like I know your corals. Sounds weird I know...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Some updates:

• Finally able to move some corals back to main tank
  • Hammer, torch, and frogspawn growing out of control
  • Zoas are doing better
  • Cleaner shrimp disappeared =(

45624780831_1d1931b3a2_c.jpg

45624779241_295f715042_c.jpg

44711126805_51af029677_c.jpg

love this clownfish!  she stays small and swims to the surface when i turn off the pump

44711125245_624a37556b_c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Wow 1

Tank looks great and fish is so cute!  I may try a clown again if I can find a small one.  I got tired of being bitten every time my hands went in the tank and took mine back to the LFS lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank looks great and fish is so cute!  I may try a clown again if I can find a small one.  I got tired of being bitten every time my hands went in the tank and took mine back to the LFS lol.

Did it hurt when it bit you?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Roachant said:

Nah, it never broke skin or anything. I just got tired of the constant assaults anytime I tried to work in the tank. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Roachant said:

16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The female clownfish in the big tank bites me ALL the time.  It's the surprise that gets me every time.  I have broken branches off of SPS when she bites me and i flinch.  It gotten so bad that when I do a lot of work in the tank, my wife has to stand next to me and guard my arm with a long turkey baster.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
skyscraper2290
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

The female clownfish in the big tank bites me ALL the time.  It's the surprise that gets me every time.  I have broken branches off of SPS when she bites me and i flinch.  It gotten so bad that when I do a lot of work in the tank, my wife has to stand next to me and guard my arm with a long turkey baster.

When I had my clown pair a few years ago they would bite my arm anytime my hands were in the tank and even when I though I was prepared for it, it still surprised me every time

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Haha yeah I'd use the left hand to try to chase her with the turkey baster and try to work in the tank with my right. The second I got distracted she'd nip again. And she was a regular old misbar ocellaris. Little punk lol. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha yeah I'd use the left hand to try to chase her with the turkey baster and try to work in the tank with my right. The second I got distracted she'd nip again. And she was a regular old misbar ocellaris. Little punk lol. 

I don't know how true this is but I speculate the key to keeping clownfish smaller is by not pairing them up.  Every time I have a single clown, they remain small.  As soon as I have two, they get BIG.  Could also be because I keep the pair in the 75 gallon tank...hahah

• Like 3
7 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I don't know how true this is but I speculate the key to keeping clownfish smaller is by not pairing them up.  Every time I have a single clown, they remain small.  As soon as I have two, they get BIG.  Could also be because I keep the pair in the 75 gallon tank...hahah

Yah I hadn't even gotten mine a buddy because she started nipping and I decided that increasing the prospect of aggression was not a route I wanted to go lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcs said:

Love your tank. Your previous spec 5 made me get back into reefing and also to buy a nanobox light.

So thanks for running awesome tanks.

Thanks!  The fluval spec 5 is still running as a frag tank right now!  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I agree. I have an unpaired clown and he has stayed pretty tiny.  

• Like 1