Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

28880720810_092d7c4f43_z.jpg

Background:

This is an upgrade from my Fluval Spec V. I have always struggled with the rock being too big in the Fluval Spec V. It makes it very hard to clean the glass on each side so lots of algae build up. I also wanted to get a bigger tnak for the clown fish. This clown fish has been with me for over 2 years now and survived through 2 leaks, 1 move, and other mishaps. It is also a total bully so I can't put it into my Red Sea Reefer 350.

When I first saw ReefBuilder feature the Fluval Evo 12, I knew it will be my next tank. The dimension fits perfectly wherethe Spec V is now and the rock will look great with more space on each side. There are some questionable design choices with the tank such as the black honeycomb at the top of the tank (which I razored off) and the AIO chamber allows a lot of detritus to build up in the first and second chamber. The stock lighting and pump are good only for softies and low light LPS. But overall, the tank itself is pretty decent for the price. I do like it comes with surface skimmer and the return nozzle is already split into two. In additional, the raised design is very modern.

My vision for this tank is a very natural tank with gorgonians, LPS, zoas, acans, and ricordeas. I will get another fish or two, something that can put up with the clown.

• Like 23

The tank got wet last night. Used old sand from my last build. Seeded the tank with biomedia from the Fluval Spec V and a small live rock from Red Sea Reefer 350. Should cycle quickly. Will transfer everything over next week probably.

Also built a media rack from eggcrate for filter floss. This should reduce the amount of stuff getting into the 2nd chamber.

28949013436_952d40acec_z.jpg

And got a little something in the mail today =)

28949005316_4360dfe469_z.jpg

• Like 9

Oooh upgraded light - super fun! I just got a the exact same thing too and am loving it as usual with these lights :)

Looking forward to see where this build goes, your tanks are always beautiful!

Looks great! Whatcha gonna do with the Spec V after it's transferred?

Nick

trying to sell it locally. Not much interest though.

Wow, you're moving quick! This is going to be awesome omgomgomg

go go go! hahaha

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

Can you post a picture of your media basket? I'm really confused because if you look at your chambers, between 1 and 2 it's slotted; therefore, I feel like water doesn't have to go all the way through the first chamber. Also you know I'm gonna ask for your settings on your light ?

Can you post a picture of your media basket? I'm really confused because if you look at your chambers, between 1 and 2 it's slotted; therefore, I feel like water doesn't have to go all the way through the first chamber. Also you know I'm gonna ask for your settings on your light

I just made an |_| and inverted it and put the filter floss on top. I also plugged the hole in the middle of the backwall. This way, water is forced through the filter floss in the first chamber before going to the second chamber. The slots are such a dumb design. For the light, I am just using hte default settings.

OOoooh, definitely can't wait to see more as I've been contemplating this tank as well!

It's a nice tank if you want a peninsula tank and if the dimension fits what you want. Otherwise, I recommend the IM Lagoon 25 more since the light and pump on the Evo has to be replaced anyways.

• Like 2
FlamingPrawn

I agree the slots are a DUMB design but whatever. Are you planning on upgrading your return pump? Tried to fit the old Sicce I had lying around.. think it was the 2.0? Didn't fit >:(

• Like 1

It's a nice tank if you want a peninsula tank and if the dimension fits what you want. Otherwise, I recommend the IM Lagoon 25 more since the light and pump on the Evo has to be replaced anyways.

Hmmm, definitely good to know. Guess it's back to the Lagoon 50 vs Reefer 170/250 in my head then *laughs nervously*

• Like 1

I agree the slots are a DUMB design but whatever. Are you planning on upgrading your return pump? Tried to fit the old Sicce I had lying around.. think it was the 2.0? Didn't fit > :(

I am using a Rio 800 from my old build. Not sure if it's strong enough though. It is rated for 200 GPH. I have a spare MJ1200 that I may use too.

Hmmm, definitely good to know. Guess it's back to the Lagoon 50 vs Reefer 170/250 in my head then *laughs nervously*

Lagoon 50 is a great choice for AIO. And I love my Reefer if you want to go sump. For anything bigger than 30g, I will always go sump now. So much more space for equipments.

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

I am using a Rio 800 from my old build. Not sure if it's strong enough though. It is rated for 200 GPH. I have a spare MJ1200 that I may use too.

Lagoon 50 is a great choice for AIO. And I love my Reefer if you want to go sump. For anything bigger than 30g, I will always go sump now. So much more space for equipments.

I can't find dimensions on the MJ1200. Does it fit?

Yey!!! your clown will be so happy! And we'll all be excited watching another build!

The first few months are always the most exciting!

Hello new thread!!!

=)

awesssoooommmmeeee! Whatcha doing with the old tide? ;)

Selling it after the transfer

I can't find dimensions on the MJ1200. Does it fit?

I will have to check tonight but I thought it fitted
FlamingPrawn

The first few months are always the most exciting!

=)

Selling it after the transfer

I will have to check tonight but I thought it fitted

You'll have to let me know how it is... I agree the stock pump just isn't gonna cut it

What is the difference in the tide M and tide?

Nevermind. I figured it out. Woot!!! But will it really cover the new tank properly? It seems like a duo would be better?

• Like 1