Cultivated Reef

The Coral Cavern - 25G Shallow Reef

Jruberti

Your tank is looking awesome feeling the custom build.

Thanks! I'm finally letting myself get excited about it.

Glad to see no leaks now!

Me too :happy:

I'm going to place my live rock order today with KPA. Approximately how much rock will I need to accomplish a scape like this? I'm thinking around 25 lbs.

930d599385.png

• Like 1

Stoked to see this tank filled up! As for the rock Im not sure, Im placing an order with KPA here soon so I would love to see what some others say

Stoked to see this tank filled up! As for the rock Im not sure, Im placing an order with KPA here soon so I would love to see what some others say

I emailed KPA twice about how much LR I would need and asking about shipping prices but they haven't responded yet.

My new heater came today and I rinsed all of my sand! We're getting closer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you using any type of GFO?

No :/ idk what it was

Nice build man. How are you liking the nano box light?

Thanks! I love it. I've never had a light with this many color options.

The rock still had a lot of die-off so my ammonia was stupid high like 6 ppm so I did a water change and got it down to 4 ppm.The rock in my display doesn't smell but the rock I had in my sump...smelled terrible. I rinsed the rock in my sump during the water change. Hopefully we'll get cycling soon.

Wow, scape and light looks great. Can't wait to see this fill in!

I'm excited to get stocking. Thanks!

I really like the scape, its cool that you used a real reef as inspiration!

I'm hoping the depth of the tank will make it look neat when corals start growing.

loving the tank dimensions (I'm a sucker for shallow tanks :D), and the rockscape!

My first shallow tank, and I love it! Thanks!

Looks awesome!

Thanks!

The rock is still curing and my ammonia is like 3-4 ppm. Is this level too high to start cycling with? I also noticed some bubble algae popping up on the rock...I hope that doesn't become an issue.

Great tank!

Also, if I were you,I would have started a fishless cycle with the tropic eden sand, Dr. Tims amonium cloride, and some MB7 before the rock came. I did this with my KP rock and barely had an ammonia spike

Selfishly a fan of this kinda scape :)

Thanks!

Great tank!

Also, if I were you,I would have started a fishless cycle with the tropic eden sand, Dr. Tims amonium cloride, and some MB7 before the rock came. I did this with my KP rock and barely had an ammonia spike

I didn't overnight the rock but I guess I'll just ride this out.

Bubble algae already... I would start over. That stuff is a PAIN IN THE ASS to get rid of. Retry with ReefCleanets rock or Tampa bay saltwater if you want live IMO.

Yeah, I saw 1 bubble but I removed it :( I won't start over, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it for now.

• Like 1