Coral Vue Hydros

Dpolt's Dream Reef -Rimless 75 Triton Method

dpoltsdsu

• 1 month later...

Sunday Update- November 27th 2016

Life has been absolutely crazy for the last couple of months, but it is time to get back to some regular updates.

The Fish- The fish made it through their 6 weeks of quarantine and were put back in the reef a couple of days ago. I got nervous with the Copperband potentially going after coral and I traded it for a healthy Yellow Tang and 20 dollars. Pretty good trade in my opinion.

Since I no longer have the Butterfly, I wanted another fish that is not super common in reef tanks and I was fortunate to find a healthy Leopard Wrasse. I put the Wrasse in yesterday and it ate the first time I fed the tank which was a huge relief. We will see if it continues to do well! I hope to get a good picture soon.

The Coral- Nothing much has changed with the coral in the tank. Everything is still doing well and growing. The one addition I made is a beautiful frag of Green and Pink Frogspawn. This is one of my favorite varieties of coral and I hope the frag grows into a colony one day.

I will post some pictures soon and I hope everyone's reefs are doing well!

• Like 4

The Leopard Wrasse is eating really well. It only ate a couple pieces of food when I first got it, but now it's eating absolutely everything in sight. I hope that the fish doesn't have any parasite issues like many other individuals of the species but all is well so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking a couple of updated pictures of the reef! I think I was able to get a couple of decent shots. Here is the reef!

Really love this one of Half-Stripe, the Clownfish

p0yIQe1.jpg

FTS

tU60xWa.jpg

pVOXx0O.jpg

Best shot I could get of the Leopard Wrasse

6SUBQx4.jpg

• Like 12

I will post some more pictures soon!

I am happy to report that the Wrasse is still doing really well! Over the last couple of days it has been eating a ridiculous amount of food. I mean this fish is absolutely voracious. It actually eats more than the Yellow Tang and Clownfish combined. At this point, I am very hopeful that this fish is going to be a long term addition to the reef!

• Like 2

I will post some more pictures soon!

I am happy to report that the Wrasse is still doing really well! Over the last couple of days it has been eating a ridiculous amount of food. I mean this fish is absolutely voracious. It actually eats more than the Yellow Tang and Clownfish combined. At this point, I am very hopeful that this fish is going to be a long term addition to the reef!

my leopard wrasse had been doing similarly well. Following along on fellow leopard wrasse owner. :D

Glad it's doing well! How long have you had it?

I have her for just over a week now. She eats all the frozen mysis and brine shrimp right the way. It's nice that my LFS has a 3-week quarantine/eating acclimation.

Your tank looks very nice by the way!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update- February 1st, 2017

Well it has been an extremely hectic couple of months as I got the opportunity to move in with my girlfriend and a couple of my other friends. Since I moved out of my parent's house, I had to take the reef with me, and as we all know, moving a large reef tank is not a fun en-devour.

For the move, I rented a couple of tanks and moved all the rock, corals, inverts, and fish into a couple of different tank. I only moved about 15 minutes away so it wasn't too difficult. Unfortunately, a heater malfunctioned in the tank that was holding my prized Leopard Wrasse, my Acro, and a couple of other Zoas. It was already too late when I noticed the temperature of that tank had hit over 90 degrees. What a frustarting experience... Fortunately, I had split almost everything up and everything else is thriving again now that it has been about a week.

I rearranged the rock work a bit and I like it a lot better this time around. There should be a lot more room for SPS in the near future!

I'll get some pictures up soon!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the reef has settled in and all seems to be doing well at this point.  I added some more rock, but I'm not too happy with the current scape, however it should look better once the SPS grow out a little more!

I'm going to start updating this thread a lot more as I have some interesting reef related projects I am working on.

One of these projects is to culture my own phytoplankton in order to cultivate Copepods so I can keep a healthy Mandarin.  I'm making a cultivation setup in the garage since there is ample space down there.  I ordered F/2 Micro Algae fertilizer from Florida Aqua Farms as well as Phytoplankton of the species Nanochlropsis. I also bought some rigid airline tubing, flexible airline tubing, a couple of air pumps, and some 2 liter bottles to complete the setup.  Hopefully I will have some healthy Phytoplankton soon!

• Like 4
On 2/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, Christopher Marks said:

The tank is coming along very nicely @dpoltsdsu! What new fish do you have? Are they still in quarantine?

I was browsing your journal for your 34 gallon tank earlier today, is that one still going?

Thanks!

I currently have a Yellow Tang, Royal Gramma, Green Clown Goby, Tailspot Blenny, a Clownfish pair, and a Yellow Watchman Goby in quarantine!

The 34 gallon reef was taken down a couple of months ago and everything was transferred to this current setup!

The reef is still running well while the fish are in quarantine!

Unfortunately, I did lose my first phyto culture. I had the culture in my garage and I believe it got too hot in there and thr culture crashed. It was the day after the hottest day of the year in Southern California so far so I have to assume it is heat related. I will be setting up another cultire in my stand once the fish are done with quarantine

Over the weekend, one of my new roommates who has been very interested in coral and reef aquariums asked me if we could setup another tank in the apartment.  I have a spare 25 gallon Mr. Aqua laying around so we have decided to turn this tank into a frag system.  It will be a pretty easy to maintain system and I plan on running an AquaClear filter on it with some carbon for filtration and an SB reef 16' LED for light.  I have heard a lot of good things about this light so I will be giving it a go for this tank.  

Pictures to come!

• Like 3