Cultivated Reef

Let Me See Your Clams

mystersyster

15 hours ago, Big E reef said:

Baby maxima. Been in the tank for 3 weeks now. Sorry for the potato quality photo. I know the tank is still a little fresh for the guy but for 35 bucks had to try, it's about 2.5 in.

20180209_142200.jpg

Nice score! Maxima's are beautiful, yours is no exception, i just had no luck with them. I decided to try my Dersea since they have a better survival reputation. Don't regret it. That said I would have jumped at a opportunity at a 2.5" Maxima for $35.00. Good luck!

• Like 1
On 2/9/2018 at 5:38 AM, OMGSIIK said:

PEA pick and a WYSIWYG... they were doing well until the move.  I'm waiting for them to get more.  These were the best deal on clams hands down.  They were all 4-6." The small clam on the right was from LA and it cost just as much. This was under natural sunlight in this shot.  

20130518_080834.jpg

Sorry about the loss. Maxima's :wub:

55 minutes ago, Deano said:

LA has this in their clam bio's. I am not saying I know more than LA about keeping clams, to each his own. It's JMO no feeding required. "Tridacna clams are also filter feeders and constantly filter the water for small particulates. Derasa Clams larger than 2" do not require supplemental feedings, but smaller T. derasa that are less than 2" should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week if maintained in a nutrient poor reef aquarium.I think this last part should be a key take away. A nutrient poor reef aquarium. I think the unknown question is, how do you determine your system has all the required nutrients present to support a clam?

That is the question! I actually joined the clam bandwagon today, we’re on our way home now lol I’ll post pics when she opens!

Well there were three ORA clams left at the LFS they all sold in a single day, one was $70 and two were $50. This one was closed but had a white shell and the other one had a black shell but was open and pretty nice. I took the gamble on this one even though it was closed because it’s foot was healthier and lost.. the other one had a nicer mantle. Oh well, she was “only” $50. This ones nice though too, purple with a blue outline and blue spots in the middle. I didn’t want to risk the $70, $50 is bad enough.

It opened up immediately in my tank and so far so good, I put some phyto in just to help it. It’s very healthy, snaps closed at the slightest disturbance. 

A3F72DDD-2E45-44A3-830C-40D4B6130C5E.jpeg

60A9B9E9-419C-4966-B991-2C7DE477E392.jpeg

3074BD34-22A8-4A5A-B785-E772B5E24A21.jpeg

Pictures as always do it no justice, just sayin :)

45 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Well there were three ORA clams left at the LFS they all sold in a single day, one was $70 and two were $50. This one was closed but had a white shell and the other one had a black shell but was open and pretty nice. I took the gamble on this one even though it was closed because it’s foot was healthier and lost.. the other one had a nicer mantle. Oh well, she was “only” $50. This ones nice though too, purple with a blue outline and blue spots in the middle. I didn’t want to risk the $70, $50 is bad enough.

It opened up immediately in my tank and so far so good, I put some phyto in just to help it. It’s very healthy, snaps closed at the slightest disturbance. 

A3F72DDD-2E45-44A3-830C-40D4B6130C5E.jpeg

60A9B9E9-419C-4966-B991-2C7DE477E392.jpeg

3074BD34-22A8-4A5A-B785-E772B5E24A21.jpeg

Pictures as always do it no justice, just sayin :)

Very healthy and beautiful looking!! If you decide to feed phyto, I would just indirectly feed the tank. Do you know how much par you are getting on the sandbed? She'll appreciate the brightest spot possible. :)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mystersyster said:

Very healthy and beautiful looking!! If you decide to feed phyto, I would just indirectly feed the tank. Do you know how much par you are getting on the sandbed? She'll appreciate the brightest spot possible. :)

Yeah that’s what I did, indirect feed. Why is that best anyway?

I have no idea what the Par is. My brother may have a meter so I could find out though. Right now it’s not in the brightest spot because I wanted to get it acclimated first, and it also needs to attach to the rock buried under it too since I want to be able to move it in the future. Did I say it’s a first grade maxima?

15 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Do I need to move it to the brightest spot already? There’s no risk in doing so?

Mine moved itself around till it found it's happy spot

• Like 1
On 2/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, JoeR said:

Do I need to move it to the brightest spot already? There’s no risk in doing so?

Think of them as a high light SPS. I like to acclimate them by putting them in the spot I want them, and putting some sandwhich bags above it. Remove one a day for about 7 days and you should be golden. 

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, mystersyster said:

Think of them as a high light SPS. I like to acclimate them by putting them in the spot I want them, and putting some sandwhich bags above it. Remove one a day for about 7 days and you should be golden. 

That’s a great idea. Unfortunately I don’t have a lid on this now that I have a new ATO, and so I can’t really do that. It’s in a slightly dimmer part of the tank, and has been there since Saturday. I think today I’ll move it to a brighter spot.

How long will it take to attach its foot to a rock? I have one buried under it atm but I’m just curious, I don’t want to damage it’s foot moving it around.

3 hours ago, JoeR said:

That’s a great idea. Unfortunately I don’t have a lid on this now that I have a new ATO, and so I can’t really do that. It’s in a slightly dimmer part of the tank, and has been there since Saturday. I think today I’ll move it to a brighter spot.

How long will it take to attach its foot to a rock? I have one buried under it atm but I’m just curious, I don’t want to damage it’s foot moving it around.

All depends honestly. I have a derasa that's never attached it's foot while my larger derasa has multiple times. My squamosa has never attached his either.  Just move the rock with the clam to its permanent spot. :)

5 hours ago, Big E reef said:

Wow, the color on that derasa is amazing!

Thanks. Yeah, its a beauty. Didn't expect to pick up so much of the red/pink in the photo. These are just iPhone photos though. My tank lights being so high on the blue spectrum messes with the photos a bit. I'll turn up the whites later today to see if I can capture a little "truer" color. 

3 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Mine tucked back in the SPS

CE4CB357-7CEC-46F7-8354-700922CA1A79.jpeg

Wow! That’s a beaut! Wish I had one that nice, I got the worst of the batch :blush:

I bought this maxima last Friday, and it’s already attached to the rock I had below it... I’m worried I may have damaged it moving the clam to a brighter spot but hopefully it’s not a big deal. It was stuck to it but loosely if that makes sense.

This little asterina was crawling all over it during the WC, kinda funny 

FE179EB1-05F6-4D14-8F36-A391C5551345.jpeg

20E91C81-2ADC-4B28-9340-7BFFF26295A6.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...