Top Shelf Aquatics

Let Me See Your Clams

mystersyster

mystersyster

:naughtydance:

Hey guys. I don't see a lot of love on the clam forum these days. I've recently been OBSESSED with clams. They're pretty awesome, and I'd like to see your clams. Preferably a before and after picture (if they've grown a lot) and name of the species. Looking forward to see your clams! Here are my Derasa clams :wub:

20160723_141641_zpsrhr8nyre.jpg

• Like 3
mystersyster

Oreo when she was a little bitty

20130418_112946.jpg

20130419_140153.jpg

She's not huge but this picture is pretty

28168260793_51c824fd2d_k.jpg

The many colors of Oreo

26921747590_800fdf189e_k.jpg

I love oreo! Great name, gorgeous clam.

28719631586_71d3ffd3c9.jpgclam8316 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Gorgeous colors.

My little baby maxima. A lot of mantle on her 1-1.25" shell.

baby_maxima_080516.jpg

Where did you get your maxima? I want to get one but I'm afraid because they're usually so tiny.

• Like 2

Where did you get your maxima? I want to get one but I'm afraid because they're usually so tiny.

Came from AquaSD during a live sale ($60). I'm considering one of the B&W ones from LiveAquaria as well since I do want one of them in the tank. I don't mind the small size since they do grow.

The many colors of Oreo

26921747590_800fdf189e_k.jpg

I see some green in there, maybe a mint oreo :)

My little baby maxima. A lot of mantle on her 1-1.25" shell.

baby_maxima_080516.jpg

A steal at $60! fantastic colors.

I had a pink/blue one with some green edges, was pretty neat! She was also kind of HUGE. I moved and am now shopping for another clam.

clamtop_zps81a181da.jpg

clam_zps949e7dd8.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure its a clam, but its some type of bivalve. Very tiny--like half the size of a grain of rice. Little hitchhiker from my rock. Very active little bugger, it climbed that rock and has made it to the other side.

aY8bmKt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Depends. Derasa clams can get very big at around 2 feet. Maxima around 12 inches, crocea even smaller.

Maxima clams top out at about 6". Some have been found at 8", but they're likely not Maxima. Squamosa get around 16", hippopus get I think 10", and most of the maxima-esque species that are now split off, such as noae, ningaloo, etc get about 6-8", as well.

Maxima clams top out at about 6". Some have been found at 8", but they're likely not Maxima. Squamosa get around 16", hippopus get I think 10", and most of the maxima-esque species that are now split off, such as noae, ningaloo, etc get about 6-8", as well.

Thanks for the correction.

• 3 weeks later...