inTank Media Baskets

Nutrient uptake of Gracilaria Parvispora

Subsea

When I operated my 10K gallon macro growout system, I grew Red Ogo for human consumption. To enhance quality control standards, I sent it to a scientific lab to be analyzed for dry weight percentages.

Nitrogen @ 2.59%

Phosphorus @ 0.082%

Potassium @ 13.54%

Calcium @ 0.555%

Magnesium @ 1.163%

Sulfur @ 4.81%

Zinc @ 139ppm

Iron @ 107ppm

Manganese @ 20ppm

Cooper @ 7.0ppm

The 30:1 ratio of nitrogen to phosphorous was expected. The 5 fold concentration of potassium over nitrogen was not expected. While I dose ammonia to grow macro, dosing with potassium nitrate may make more sense.

• Like 2

I was wondering if it is Gracilaria Parvispora sp. that your growing for human consumption?

By the way, I took a look at your www.aquacultureranch.com site and your rock and macro algae looked great. I am in the process of setting up a brand new tank and will certainly consider your store when I'm ready. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 8/6/2016 at 11:07 PM, thoms_here said:

I was wondering if it is Gracilaria Parvispora sp. that your growing for human consumption?

By the way, I took a look at your www.aquacultureranch.com site and your rock and macro algae looked great. I am in the process of setting up a brand new tank and will certainly consider your store when I'm ready. :)

Yes, I grew both  Gracilaria Parvispora and Tikvahiae.  My initial contact with Gracilaria Parvispora was through IndoPacific SeaFarm on the Big Island of Hawaii.  I meet the owner, Gerald Hesslinger at a conference in which he was one of the guest speakers.  IPSP used the term “Tang Heaven Red”.  Gerald informed me that G. Tikvahiae was preferred by many native Hawaiians.  In researching G. Tikvahiae, it grows from Maine down to the Caribbean.  It also can stand major fluctuations in salinity.  This is important as I intend to co-culture green mollies and sheepshead minnows during th3 winter here.