kylekruko85

Foam covers for powerhead

I am toying around with getting a RTBA and am reading that its a smart idea to cover your powerheads until they find a home. I have a couple RW-4s in my tank and they dont make a specific cover for them. Is there a certain type of foam I should be using or does anyone have some makeshift ideas? Thanks.

I don't think there are specific covers. Most ppl diy using various methods to cover the powerheads.

I am toying around with getting a RTBA and am reading that its a smart idea to cover your powerheads until they find a home. I have a couple RW-4s in my tank and they dont make a specific cover for them. Is there a certain type of foam I should be using or does anyone have some makeshift ideas? Thanks.

how far away is your rock work from the powerhead, I don't cover mine because my rock work is dead center so they never touch my powerhead

how far away is your rock work from the powerhead, I don't cover mine because my rock work is dead center so they never touch my powerhead

The one up top is far away but I have one pointed up wards towards the bottom of the tank that sits fairly close.

A happy RBTA won't let go of the rocks. I dunno. I have three in my tank and they've all behaved quite nicely, staying low in the tank (I have a ton of light) and not moving at all.

Keep them welcome and enough flow that they don't go out to seek more and you should be good. Anyway, I think you could sew together some mosquito net to make a good cover.

They can definitely move even if the rocks aren't close to the glass or your powerhead. Until I got some foam to cover the intake of my filter and maxi jet, I used a media bag (like the kind you would put loose carbon in) to cover the intake, or in this case you could maybe wrap it around the outside of the powerhead. Not the most beautiful option, but works until you get something better!

A happy RBTA won't let go of the rocks. I dunno. I have three in my tank and they've all behaved quite nicely, staying low in the tank (I have a ton of light) and not moving at all.

Keep them welcome and enough flow that they don't go out to seek more and you should be good. Anyway, I think you could sew together some mosquito net to make a good cover.

idk mines pretty happy and stayed out for 4 months but today I noticed it moved?! Crazy little bastard messing up my placements lol

idk mines pretty happy and stayed out for 4 months but today I noticed it moved?! Crazy little bastard messing up my placements lol

That's exactly why I don't have any in my reef tanks, but in a separate tank with just the anemone and some palys I don't really care about... :)

That's exactly why I don't have any in my reef tanks, but in a separate tank with just the anemone and some palys I don't really care about... :)

actually I like its new spot and I think it moved because my other BTA kinda shadowed it lol but I know I almost went BTA dominated tank but everything coral wise is thriving immensely so I can't complain! Lol

actually I like its new spot and I think it moved because my other BTA kinda shadowed it lol but I know I almost went BTA dominated tank but everything coral wise is thriving immensely so I can't complain! Lol

Haha awesome! Bta dominated tank is just an excuse to have another tank ?

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions