Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY replacement pump for Fluval V Sea with Aqueon Quietflow 600

RobSpeed13

Good Morning gentlemen and women of Nano-Reef! So i purchased a Fluval V Sea almost two months ago. One of the things i had been wanted to do was replace the stock pump. I've read about the Mini Jet 606 i believe that was discontinued so i figured, what else might work? I did some reading and saw one post that the Aqueon Quiteflow 600 will with some modification. Although i didn't find a topic about it and sometimes people need help finding these things so i did it for the community. If there is a other topic sorry.

Tools used during the process.

Small flat head

pliers

knife(lol)

So first thing first i purchased the Aqueon Quiteflow Submersible 600 pump from Amazon for $26+SH

• Adjustable flow rate of 84-159-gallon per hour-fits 1/2-inch flex tube
  • High performance utility pump is silent, versatile and low maintenance
  • Ideal for a variety of uses from househould fountains to aquarium sumps or poweering extra filtration
  • Fully submersible

***Please note that once you do these modifications to the pump it is no longer adjustable and will push MAX POWAAAAAA!!! well the little bit it can of course.***

This is what the cute little fella looks like.

20160727_104729_zpscb9kv16y.jpg

Step 1. Remove the back cover, it simply pops off. If it doesnt use a flat head to pry it off.

20160727_104757_zpsinje31w9.jpg

Step 2. Remove the adjustable knob in the front, had to use a my small flat head.

20160727_104818_zpsxmwsvxd6.jpg

Step 3. Now this part things get fun. when you pull the knob off this little piece of plastic prevents the pump from sliding down into the return pump chamber.

20160727_104837_zpsqj5izw3m.jpg

Step 4. BREAK IT OFF!!!! as you can see i simply grabbed it with wire cutters(to lazy to find my real pliers or use something else lol) and rotate it in the direction of the plastic for a clean break off.

20160727_104906_zpsmqbw9gcf.jpg

20160727_104919_zpsfmulytnh.jpg

As you can see now that little bracket is out of the way and you wont be able to place the knob for adjustment anymore.

20160727_104938_zps1gqfxzps.jpg

Step 5. Test fitting, oh it almost fits.

20160727_105116_zpsxlnwmenm.jpg

On the back it has a little nipple that doesnt sit flush with the back of the pump once the cover is removed.

20160727_105126_zpsyglelr9c.jpg

Step 6. Cut it flush with a knife, doesn't hurt the pump.

20160727_105406_zpstizzcwbb.jpg

20160727_105414_zpstatxtuzg.jpg

Step 7. Throw on the little bitty suction cups.

20160727_105733_zpsioosh8j2.jpg

Lets compare the two fellos. obviously one pump is bigger then the other.

20160727_110303_zpsugucrf06.jpg

Step 8. The stock hose fits perfectly over the new pump. only thing is since its taller you have to cut it. i did about 1" and could have probably cut more as it has a slight bend when installed. Other then that after this just drop the pump in and call it a day.

20160727_110551_zpsrlrlw4nq.jpg

As for flow comparisons i should have taken better photos as this first photo is of the old pump(80GPH) with the nozzle slightly out for water agitation. 20160727_110107_zpsrnmrpcgn.jpg

New pump(159GPH) with nozzle submerged pushing the water obviously stronger then the one that was above the water level.

20160727_110726_zps4yqyzsyh.jpg

I do have a Korlia Nano(240GPH) but with that i felt the current was too strong with the rock work and organisms in the tank so i just use it to mix my fresh water with now of days. Nice thing about it is with the old pump the water overflowed about 1/8" over the overflow into the back chambers, now with the new pump its slightly over 1/4" and actually skims and sucks away the nasty stuff. Also great amount of in tank circulation and flows very nicely reaching even the sand towards the bottom.

Well I hope this helps some future Fluval V Spec tank owners, future owners, or anyone in general lol.

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...

I had to post a reply to this. Thank you very much i did exactly as you did and this method and pumps works like a champ. 

Thank you for the great tutorial ! 

3 minutes ago, money88 said:

How is the noise comparison for other people? I tried the mod but the tank being bedside the new Aqueon ran way too loud. 

Mine is as quiet as the stock. I cant hear anything at all.

Did you put the suctions on the bottom? 

Just now, Johnin714 said:

Mine is as quiet as the stock. I cant hear anything at all.

Did you put the suctions on the bottom? 

Yep suctions are on the bottom and everything. I was going to try and "break" the pump in a bit to see if that helped with noise. Are any parts of your pump touching the sides of the pump area?

I think mine was touching the false wall where the return is pumped out so maybe I will give it another shot. Any other suggestions though would be awesome! I am looking to increase flow so for now I just have another 80 gph pump suctioned across the tank.

4 minutes ago, money88 said:

Yep suctions are on the bottom and everything. I was going to try and "break" the pump in a bit to see if that helped with noise. Are any parts of your pump touching the sides of the pump area?

I think mine was touching the false wall where the return is pumped out so maybe I will give it another shot. Any other suggestions though would be awesome! I am looking to increase flow so for now I just have another 80 gph pump suctioned across the tank.

I just trimmed the sides as the pics suggested and kept checking how easy it would fit down the pump side. I'm assuming you cut the hose to fit just right. I noticed the first cut I did on the return hose was to long and it did make some noise as it seemed to vibrate the false wall. After I shorten it to the right size it seemed to becomes whisper quiet. I would maybe try to re adjust your pump until you don't hear it perhaps? It works extremely well great flow not to much and not slow like the stock pump it's just right for reef etc

• 2 months later...
thespinningsadhu
On 7/27/2016 at 0:21 PM, RobSpeed13 said:

Good Morning gentlemen and women of Nano-Reef! So i purchased a Fluval V Sea almost two months ago. One of the things i had been wanted to do was replace the stock pump. I've read about the Mini Jet 606 i believe that was discontinued so i figured, what else might work? I did some reading and saw one post that the Aqueon Quiteflow 600 will with some modification. Although i didn't find a topic about it and sometimes people need help finding these things so i did it for the community. If there is a other topic sorry.

Tools used during the process.

Small flat head

pliers

knife(lol)

So first thing first i purchased the Aqueon Quiteflow Submersible 600 pump from Amazon for $26+SH

• Adjustable flow rate of 84-159-gallon per hour-fits 1/2-inch flex tube
  • High performance utility pump is silent, versatile and low maintenance
  • Ideal for a variety of uses from househould fountains to aquarium sumps or poweering extra filtration
  • Fully submersible

***Please note that once you do these modifications to the pump it is no longer adjustable and will push MAX POWAAAAAA!!! well the little bit it can of course.***

This is what the cute little fella looks like.

20160727_104729_zpscb9kv16y.jpg

Step 1. Remove the back cover, it simply pops off. If it doesnt use a flat head to pry it off.

20160727_104757_zpsinje31w9.jpg

Step 2. Remove the adjustable knob in the front, had to use a my small flat head.

20160727_104818_zpsxmwsvxd6.jpg

Step 3. Now this part things get fun. when you pull the knob off this little piece of plastic prevents the pump from sliding down into the return pump chamber.

20160727_104837_zpsqj5izw3m.jpg

Step 4. BREAK IT OFF!!!! as you can see i simply grabbed it with wire cutters(to lazy to find my real pliers or use something else lol) and rotate it in the direction of the plastic for a clean break off.

20160727_104906_zpsmqbw9gcf.jpg

20160727_104919_zpsfmulytnh.jpg

As you can see now that little bracket is out of the way and you wont be able to place the knob for adjustment anymore.

20160727_104938_zps1gqfxzps.jpg

Step 5. Test fitting, oh it almost fits.

20160727_105116_zpsxlnwmenm.jpg

On the back it has a little nipple that doesnt sit flush with the back of the pump once the cover is removed.

20160727_105126_zpsyglelr9c.jpg

Step 6. Cut it flush with a knife, doesn't hurt the pump.

20160727_105406_zpstizzcwbb.jpg

20160727_105414_zpstatxtuzg.jpg

Step 7. Throw on the little bitty suction cups.

20160727_105733_zpsioosh8j2.jpg

Lets compare the two fellos. obviously one pump is bigger then the other.

20160727_110303_zpsugucrf06.jpg

Step 8. The stock hose fits perfectly over the new pump. only thing is since its taller you have to cut it. i did about 1" and could have probably cut more as it has a slight bend when installed. Other then that after this just drop the pump in and call it a day.

20160727_110551_zpsrlrlw4nq.jpg

As for flow comparisons i should have taken better photos as this first photo is of the old pump(80GPH) with the nozzle slightly out for water agitation. 20160727_110107_zpsrnmrpcgn.jpg

New pump(159GPH) with nozzle submerged pushing the water obviously stronger then the one that was above the water level.

20160727_110726_zps4yqyzsyh.jpg

I do have a Korlia Nano(240GPH) but with that i felt the current was too strong with the rock work and organisms in the tank so i just use it to mix my fresh water with now of days. Nice thing about it is with the old pump the water overflowed about 1/8" over the overflow into the back chambers, now with the new pump its slightly over 1/4" and actually skims and sucks away the nasty stuff. Also great amount of in tank circulation and flows very nicely reaching even the sand towards the bottom.

Well I hope this helps some future Fluval V Spec tank owners, future owners, or anyone in general lol.

Thanks. Just modded one and it's working beautifully.