Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coral Box S150 initial thoughts.

squamptonbc

squamptonbc

This is just my initial thoughts on this skimmer, and more will be added over time as the skimmer breaks in and more time passes, as its clearly not long enough for an accurate review.

Tank is a Fluval M40, with basically nothing left that came with it, I only got this particular tank because of a going out of business sale which made this tank cheaper/same price then any empty cube tank goes for around here once you buy an empty tank + stand.

I bought this Coral Box skimmer from a US vendor, and all in with shipping came to around 89 dollars CAD$ + a trip to my US PO Box to pick it up.

Build seems of good quality, doesn't feel cheap in anyway, acrylic or plastic its made of is not thin or cheap nor would it be easy to break or crack.

The thing is nearly silent unless right next to the tank with ear near the skimmer, I cannot hear the thing, the pump does run a little on the warm size, but not a major issue and isn't causing any issues with temps.

I did modify the bank section of my fluval and I cannot say if it would fit into the M40 the way Fluval has it set up, but its so easy to modify the back, takes little time to actually do, waiting for the silicone to cure is the longest part of it all.

I placed the skimmer in what is the middle chamber, although as said, its been modified and is a lot larger then what you get stock wise.

I made a stand from egg crate for the skimmer to stand on as it was the only way to get the skimmer at a height it would work, took 10 minutes and some zap straps to make.

Its only been running since 7pm last night so 19 hours or so, and it has skimmed, not much but there also is very little in this tank, but I was surprised it was even skimming so quickly and with so little in the tank.

It does produce some micro bubbles but the sponge they include that goes around the skimmer seems to slow/reduce the bubbles and by the time the water get from the middle chamber, passes through the 3rd and into the display there has been no bubble issue in the display tank, so its of no concern to me at this point .

My first chamber is not modified and it will fit barely into the first chamber, if one isn't using the first chamber for any media baskets, but its a tight fit.

The photos show it in the first section of the M40, but I actually have it running in the 2nd section of the back as I did a DIY media tack to place in the first section.

Will update this over the next few weeks-months.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to remove that stupid light holder attached to back of the tank let me know, its on their hard, and so far seems there is no way of removing it.....

post-91567-0-14347900-1469481466_thumb.jpg

post-91567-0-09633700-1469481479_thumb.jpg

post-91567-0-65650900-1469481491_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
squamptonbc

Starting to skim better each day, I've found what appears to be the sweet spot. Its a very lightly stocked tank, but surprised at how this little skimmer is working.

Micro bubbles were just a small issue at the start, and now are non-issue, very few seem to escape after the first couple of days.

Compared to the 1 week mark for the stock skimmer (Fluval Sea) and the Aquatic Life, this one beats both.

So far so good.

DemonUnleashed

To remove that light bracket I used the same method as debadging a car. You take a piece of fishing line about 18 inches long. Hold on to each end of the line. Get the line between the bracket and glass and use a sawing motion from left to right. Go slow and it will cut through the foam double sided tape. Took a couple pieces of line for me. I used 8lb line. Then you just need to get the remaining tape off. Mine came off pretty easy by picking it off with my fingers and a hair dryer.

squamptonbc

The skimmer is producing darker and darker skimmate by the day, for the price this skimmer really is pretty good, and fits nicely in the back of the M40 with no modification needed if using it in chamber 1, and minimal modification if using it in chamber 2.

The fishing line and some brute force worked perfectly. THanks for the tip.

I got about 1/4 way down then got annoyed and just used a bit of force and off it came, just needed that little 1/4 part weakened.

To remove that light bracket I used the same method as debadging a car. You take a piece of fishing line about 18 inches long. Hold on to each end of the line. Get the line between the bracket and glass and use a sawing motion from left to right. Go slow and it will cut through the foam double sided tape. Took a couple pieces of line for me. I used 8lb line. Then you just need to get the remaining tape off. Mine came off pretty easy by picking it off with my fingers and a hair dryer.

I'm interested in picking up this skimmer sounds like it's doing well so far. Will be following along and awaiting your thoughts and updates as it breaks in more for you.

squamptonbc

Getting better skimmate little by little. Only issue is trying to find the best spot so it doesn't go bonkers and fill up the collect cup in 30 seconds, its been the biggest hurdle, but its becoming less and less.

• 2 weeks later...

3 weeks in roughly, hit or miss, it does skim, just not as reliably as you would want, needs more fine tuning then I care for, will let it run a few more weeks to see how it goes, no longer produces many micro bubbles that escape, the few it does never make it to the display tank.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice skimmer. I'm looking at options for the Fusion 10g. The skimmer section internally measures 70mm x 100mm.

Any chance you could make a box out of cardboard or something 70mm x 100mm (the length doesn't really matter, maybe 200mm long) and see if this skimmer squeezes in?

I have test fitted my Aqua One MiniSkim 80 which actually has larger dimension listed on it's box and it does fit into the Fusion 10's skimmer section (tight fit with the suction cups removed) so I'm hoping the Coral Box 150 might as well, which would be even better.

Cheers

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
RobsNanoLagoon

would this fit a IM 25 gallon , 2nd compartment is 2.8 inches x 4 inches. not sure what the dimensions on this skimmer is. its hard to find good info for it. let me know if you can. :)