Cultivated Reef

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

Tank looks great! I love the new additions.

I read somewhere it you have disease in a tank that a Molly would explode in a break out if they have never been exposed to it and therefore have no immunity? I am not sure how true that is but saw people doing a 'molly test' on reef2reef.

jedimasterben
37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Tank looks great! I love the new additions.

I read somewhere it you have disease in a tank that a Molly would explode in a break out if they have never been exposed to it and therefore have no immunity? I am not sure how true that is but saw people doing a 'molly test' on reef2reef.

While things like that are certainly true for humans, I doubt that fish immunity and disease contraction, while still complex, would be quite that severe. My experience is quite the opposite, once one is found to survive the transition, they are quite hardy against disease.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
jedimasterben

About six weeks to go from white to tan and healthy. Now if it would just get away from the damned back of the tank it would better.

IMG_20190202_203819990.jpg

• Like 5
jedimasterben
9 hours ago, pgrVII said:

That a ruby red dragonet i see in there Ben? Tank looks good man! Like the nem selection.

It is, yes! The anemone is one I have a soft spot for. I wanted a magnifica, but they're really uncommon and hard to get a healthy one. A sebae nem is the first one I bought when i started the hobby, and it actually survived a long time in a brand new tank, and through a tank upgrade, too. This one colored up much faster though, I'll chalk that up to being more experienced now haha

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

It is, yes! The anemone is one I have a soft spot for. I wanted a magnifica, but they're really uncommon and hard to get a healthy one. A sebae nem is the first one I bought when i started the hobby, and it actually survived a long time in a brand new tank, and through a tank upgrade, too. This one colored up much faster though, I'll chalk that up to being more experienced now haha

Thats awesome man,yea I have a soft spot for em too,Bubbletips of course but all the same,I gotcha. I had a ruby red a few years ago,Petco had it labled a regular blenny for 10 and I had a $5 off coupon 😆

jedimasterben
30 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Thats awesome man,yea I have a soft spot for em too,Bubbletips of course but all the same,I gotcha. I had a ruby red a few years ago,Petco had it labled a regular blenny for 10 and I had a $5 off coupon 😆

That's awesome. Now they're wholesaling for $5 and you can buy them for $10-15 normal price!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Did a 100% water change today (last change was when I moved the tank, September 2nd), and while the tank was drained I caught the half black angel and will trade it in. He got a little too carried away with nipping and literally nothing in my tank was opening up. Only about an hour and a half post change and already everything is opening up.

• Like 4
jedimasterben

I was going to order a Starcki damsel from LA the other day (I got an in-stock email for them, I think I signed up for that like three years ago) and unfortunately they were gone before I convinced myself I needed one. They are not in stock ANYWHERE, except for one place that appears to be in FL, since they charged me sales tax. So fishies incoming probably tomorrow.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Well, the fish that were shipped for the most part arrived alive and healthy. Unfortunately the starcki damsel did not, it was laying on the bottom of the bag (though still alive and would swim around if I moved the bag any) and only lived a few hours after getting it in the tank 😞

IMG_20190326_184129002.jpg

IMG_20190326_183251176.jpg

jedimasterben

After being told that TFP didn't have another Starcki in stock, LiveAquaria came through with one in Diver's Den 🙂

Also got a  Chrysiptera tricincta, which is like a striped black/white damsel except not a complete asshole.

lg-0327191-220.jpg

lg-80352-tuxedo-damsel.jpg

• Like 2
jedimasterben
9 hours ago, vlangel said:

These will be great additions to your tank!  Which btw is looking wonderful.

Thank you Dawn, I'm hoping they arrive in as good of condition as the remaining fish from the other day, they're all looking so good. I could fill a tank with talbot's damsels and be happy!

22 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Tank looks great and I love the choice of damsels. Never seen those two new ones before.

Thanks! They're both pretty uncommon - the starcki due to its high cost and lower survival rate, and the tricincta because people think it's a Dascyllus species, which are significantly more aggressive.

jedimasterben

Fish came in today. The tuxedo is gorgeous, super bright, and was already checking out the tank a few seconds after getting it in. The starcki had muted colors and hid, but it should be fine, wasn't laying on its side like the last one, so should be fine.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

IMG_20190329_185434088.jpg

Fishies arrived, looking pretty great this time. Both already interested in food.

That is such good news Ben.  I see them both out front so they aren't cowering behind rockwork either which is so encouraging!

• Like 1
jedimasterben
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

That is such good news Ben.  I see them both out front so they aren't cowering behind rockwork either which is so encouraging!

None of them seems scared of me when I walk up to the tank, either. Even if I mush my dopey face against the glass they don't all scatter, which is way better than the betta that is always watching me, and as soon as I look back at it it swims to the back behind the rocks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
jedimasterben

All new fishies doing well so far!

Today I decided it was time to trim the massive creeping Grube's gorgonian in the back left of the tank. It had some dead branch tips that had some algae on them, so figured I might as well trim it all off. I then decided to also go ahead and pull up my anemone and put it onto the side where it will get a bit more light. Its previous home was in the very back being shaded by the big gorgonian and the huge leather and was slowly losing color. I dug a bit in the sand next to the rock on the left side and hopefully it will decide to stay there. It's still super painful to touch, btw, in case anyone was wondering. 🙄

I also love how even my Botryocladia macroalgae is making a comeback after removing the half black angel!

IMG_20190404_200637389.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Not sure what's up with her, but my betta is not only coming out and staying in the open, even when had my dopey fat face pressed up against the glass in awe at this gorgeous fish she just hovered right there, didn't dart off like always. Hopefully she stays like this!

IMG_20190417_202918546.jpg

• Like 3