inTank Media Baskets

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

Hows the fishies? I just had some bad luck with my order, both Diver's Den fish came in with disease/damage. Had to stick them in QT. Usually they are great but guess something snuck through.

• Sad 1
  • 2 months later...
jedimasterben
On 6/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

I love that big toadstool!

Unfortunately I've got some very nice (and very expensive) palys under it that are being completely shaded. 😕

• Sad 1

Well look who's back in town. Glad to see the tank still running -  three months without scraping the glass...were you doing water changes?

jedimasterben
On 6/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Justind823 said:

Well look who's back in town. Glad to see the tank still running -  three months without scraping the glass...were you doing water changes?

Lol, water changes, that's funny 😄

Also was using my well water for topoff...

• Haha 3
jedimasterben
On 6/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, jbb_00 said:

We all thought you got kidnapped.  Glad to see you back. 

Yeah, if someone kidnapped me, they'd bring me back in a hurry and would offer money  to ensure I wouldn't have to go back with them!

5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Seriously! The tank is looking good @jedimasterben! Has that giant toadstool been dropping babies around the tank all on its own?

The big white-polyped one on the left doesn't seem to reproduce by budding, but the big green one on the right sure does. It was about the same size as the white one but then dropped most of its capitulum (the cap on top) in pieces which are now scattered around the tank, one of which is quickly growing and is just as tall as the original! I lost a couple of gorgonians, but they were the REALLY finicky ones, anyway, so I wasn't that surprised.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after moving the tank and whatnot, I still haven't managed to get the Apex controller hooked back up. It needs new pH, ORP, and salinity probes, and to be honest I don't give enough of a shit about all those anymore lol, so I haven't been in a hurry to get it put back together.

Well, my heater failed yesterday, closed. I happened to come home around 2PM to get some insulin, I peeked at the tank and it just looked off, corals closed up, etc. I got close to it, and could feel the heat coming off of it. Tank was sitting at 94F. Damnit. Lost most of nassarius snails (aren't those bitches from here in FL, how could they not handle 94?), one of the two chromis, and my coral beauty kicked the bucket today after I had gotten home with a new lemonpeel best friend for it. Oh well.

• Sad 4

Meh, shit happens. Maybe it will save me some hassle and cause some tissue death in the larger corals so I don't have to get in there and cut them myself 😄

And the heater issue DID cause some tissue death. the stem of the giant leather on the left side that is shading everything has basically completely decayed in the middle, so it could no longer hold up the cap. I pulled the stem basically completely off the rock by hand and stuck it on the back right of the tank. Maybe the palys that were under it will come back, they're almost totally bleached.

44802674392_3d7618cbec_h.jpg

30980225058_96828f7552_h.jpg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, spectra said:

Another neotherm issue.........I used to like them but have seen to many go bad........

Hopefully everything comes back!

Well, what you don't see are the tens of thousands that don't fail. The reality of it is that all heaters fail, and basically fail in the same way, so it's not really something specific to one brand or model.

O wow Ben, I am sorry about the heater failure.  You are right though, heater are doomed to fail eventually.  That is a good thing about keeping ponies is there is no heater necessary.  At least in your case the tank fared better than what could have happened.  That last pic still looks pretty nice.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:41 AM, vlangel said:

O wow Ben, I am sorry about the heater failure.  You are right though, heater are doomed to fail eventually.  That is a good thing about keeping ponies is there is no heater necessary.  At least in your case the tank fared better than what could have happened.  That last pic still looks pretty nice.

Thanks dawn, yes, it could have been quite a bit worse. The tank is mostly back to normal now, I need to get some more little fish in there because there just isn't enough going on to keep my attention 🙂

• Like 1