Jump to content

Stupid Question but wanna be 100% sure


zoothefreak

Recommended Posts

If i use Distilled or RO water for my tank water top ups, do i still add dechlorinator to it??? Also there's quite a number of worms coming out from the live rock and exploring the tank, a long pinkish one, a flat whitish one and a short hairy one.... my question is are they good stuff to keep or bad ones which should be removed before i put in any livestock...?

Link to comment

distilled and RO water already has the chlorine removed, so no, do not use de chlorinator on it.

 

 

almost all worms are a good thing.

 

 

nalbar

Link to comment

hmm, I'd watch out for the long pinkish one? How long is it? It could be a fire worm. Also, no need for a dechlorinater on ro or distilled water. The best type of water to get is RO/DI water though.

Link to comment

I heard bristle worms are bad rite? i dunno how to identify em though... maybe i'll take a pic and post it up... so i guess i should just keep em in there for now rite?

Link to comment

there are so many worms in the ocean... are bristleworms bad... depends on who ya ask, i say no they are great scavengers... others say they eat corals and live stuff... if it were me id keep it

Link to comment

I got stung quite a few times whilst adding 2 new pieces of live rock with some macroalgae on em.... i dunno what stung me but when i checked my fingers out i found out tiny almost transparent little spines speared onto my flesh... 5 of them in total actually and they were a hell trying to dig out.. one actually got so deep i had to make a small incision to get it out... any ideas as to what speared me like that???

Link to comment

The worms should be fine... Bristle worms are great scavengers to have.

 

I don't know what stung you... But I would were gloves if I was you. Those spines are probably injecting poison into you!! Good thing you were not allergic.

Link to comment

you got stung by a fireworm my man! those spines are called chaeta (as in Polychaeta aka "Bristle worms") and are more or less CaCO3 hypodermic needles full of bacteria, not poison. now you know where the fire in fireworm comes from. just keep your hand clean and you will be ok.

Link to comment

Bristle worms are great for sifting your sand. As far as them being good or bad is totally up to you. Simpley put do you want them or not. Some people don't care if they are there or not, and some people get creeped out by the way they look.

Link to comment

I don't use dechlorinators for my planted aquarium, because some of them contain poly phosphates or something... I just run an airstone overnight in the water (I use tap water for my planted tank) and the chlorine just kinda... gets out.... You can smell it. It smells like a swimming pool. But if distilled and RO water don't have chlorine, then I guess this is sort of off topic...

Link to comment

Distilled water is pure H20, nothing but water, no minerals, no clorine.

 

Bristle worms are mostly good, but IMO if it can sting you it can sting whatever you place in the tank. I had a 50 gallon tank set up for a few years, at one point I was losing corals and small fish after adding some live rock, I set out a bristle worm trap and caught 2 worms, after that I didn't loose any more corals. We moved about 2 years later and I had to break down the tank... We found a bristle worm that was just over 3-feet long. It didn't sting though, because my wife had picked it up thinking it was an odd shaped tubing that had fallen in the tank.

Link to comment

oh man bacterial poison!!! ohhhhh think i'm getting dizzy........47198hnjaklsdcjkzaxcbjk... heh heh kidding... thanks for the info guys... darn now i'm spooked into ever siphoning debris from the tank... it really hurt coz the spines went really deep but i wasnt allergic thank god... if they destroy corals then i really want em out... any suggestions on getting rid of them and not getting stung again???

Link to comment

I bought one from my lfs, it really only works with smaller worms (less than 2 inches), some of the larger worms will snails and hermits. Arrow crabs will eat worms but they can be more trouble than they're worth.

 

If you happen to know what piece of rock(s) the worm(s) is in you can lure them out pretty easily. Get a clean bucket fill it with either the saltwater from your tank or freshly made salt water, suspend the rock in the water 6+ inches from the bottom and place some food in the bottom of the bucket. It's best to put something at the bottom of the tank for the worms to hide in (any clean common rock will do). I've caught a few larger worms this way.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...