Top Shelf Aquatics

Struggling to Aquascape IM 10

nickkohrn

I am having the most difficult time trying to decide on what rock to use in my IM 10. I have tried BRS Reef Saver rock, but I found it to be crumbly at times. Also, since the pieces were too large I had to take a hammer and chisel to them, which made the rock crumble even more. Not only was that discouraging, but the parts that did break off had places that I did not want visible because of the breakage.

I tried BRS Pukani, but I did not like the look of the pieces that look like fans/pyramids.

I tried Walt Smith's Project Reef Rock, which I decided not to use because it is not very porous.

I am really struggling because I see so many beautiful aquascapes that have negative space, which is what I am after. It's really difficult for me in such a small tank. I want corals on the bottom of the tank, and I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look like just a pile of rocks. I love Tonga Branch rock mixed with other types, but it's really getting the best of me when trying to come up with a solution.

- How are you deciding on aquascapes for your nanos when space is a limiting factor?

- What rock did you use?

- What was your inspiration?

Elizabeth94

I just used live rock from my fish store and went outside and broke it with a sledge hammer. I prefer rocks that are large, but light. This means they have more surface area for bacteria to live on. I am surprised your rock was crumbling- it must be that type of dry rock. My old tank was started with dry rock but it was very hard, and broke in nice pieces.

I was inspired by a few tanks on this site and by the types of corals I was hoping to keep. It is amazing how everything transforms when you really start to fill it in..

When it was first put up.

20151107_130548_zps9eazu7t5.jpg

Now

20160617_143034_zps9lfsb5nn.jpg

This little tank fills up fast. But it doesn't help that I purchased a really large torch. I haven't really been able to find frags I could place in there anymore without shading them. So I am not upgrading to the IM 20..

- How are you deciding on aquascapes for your nanos when space is a limiting factor?

- What rock did you use?

- What was your inspiration?

My IM10 is new but people seem to be digging the scape (sorry for crappy phone pix). I used reef cleaners cuz its the best and you can request sizes/shapes and tell him the dimensions of your tank and he will do his best to fill the order.

I wanted negative space (sand) so I made a little arch/cave type thing in the back corner. My tank is also in a corner so I can only see it from two angles so this made the best sense to me.

27526449583_bd7e25283d_z.jpg

28141898775_b9e8cb5642_z.jpg

27860511320_9380e34464_z.jpg

I just googled "reef cube aquascapes" for inspiration and checked out the IM10 threads on here.

Here are some I liked, guess I wanted an arch/cave thing people had, I think these are bigger tanks but I applied a similar idea, just smaller and thicker arch for more coral placement. I didn't want my rock too tall either because I plan on having some SPS.

I would just google and check out the IM10 thread and TOTM photos to get ideas on what it is YOU like.

007.jpg

nano-tank-negative-aquascape.jpg

f2ed40802255b5bcb9e81b2c18127bca.jpg

Those are some nice pics Tamberav!

When I did mine I had one rock well actually 3 I think from my 20 that I had epoxied together. Reefcleaner rock is what it was also. Fits great and all I wanted was a home for the RFAs.

IMG_2167.jpg

Thanks for your responses and inspiration everyone! I checked out Reef Cleaners and I think that's the route I will go!

My IM10 is new but people seem to be digging the scape (sorry for crappy phone pix). I used reef cleaners cuz its the best and you can request sizes/shapes and tell him the dimensions of your tank and he will do his best to fill the order.

I wanted negative space (sand) so I made a little arch/cave type thing in the back corner. My tank is also in a corner so I can only see it from two angles so this made the best sense to me.

27526449583_bd7e25283d_z.jpg

28141898775_b9e8cb5642_z.jpg

27860511320_9380e34464_z.jpg

I just googled "reef cube aquascapes" for inspiration and checked out the IM10 threads on here.

Here are some I liked, guess I wanted an arch/cave thing people had, I think these are bigger tanks but I applied a similar idea, just smaller and thicker arch for more coral placement. I didn't want my rock too tall either because I plan on having some SPS.

I would just google and check out the IM10 thread and TOTM photos to get ideas on what it is YOU like.

007.jpg

nano-tank-negative-aquascape.jpg

f2ed40802255b5bcb9e81b2c18127bca.jpg

This is exactly what I am after! Your wants for your aquascape match mine. I want some negative space for a fish that is a swimmer and for some corals to be placed on the bottom of the tank. I also really want some open space at the top of the structure for some SPS to be able to grow out. Thanks a lot for your detailed post! It's exactly what I was after!

I ended up going with rock from John Maloney at Reef Cleaners. I can't wait to receive it! I sent him links to photos of aquascapes that inspire me, and asked him whether I should order the 15-pound or 30-pound package for best chances of finding rocks that will help me achieve what I'm after. He said to order the 15-pound box and that he believes that I will get exactly what I need.

What a great guy and great customer service. I haven't read a single negative review about John, Reef Cleaners, or his rock. I'm super excited to get it!

Thanks everyone for your input!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived