Cultivated Reef

Rebuilding the Shallow Reef Tank Pt.2

tanacharison

tanacharison

Talk about bullet proof this thing is solid. I'm really excited to have the new tank in house even if I take a few more weeks to complete the build.  It will also give me more time to cure the dry rock Ive been working on the past two weeks. The most important thing is to get my prams back to my salt mix prams. Going from 20g to 55g will feel like a 100% water change to everyone in the tank assuming I lose 5-10 during the transfer process. Keeping the same sump, its my original design and has always worked well. Still undecided on the return pump.. I have a set of 3/4" RFGs from vivid aquatics I will be using and a skims quietpro 4.0 I got on black Friday.

Ideally I need between 700-1200 to really use the RFGs however I will know 100% when I kick them on at 1000GPH

I want a feed mode, using my apex would be ideal but not required

I would LOVE to be able to program random flow adjustments during the day. I've never tried it and I always wanted to but i'm not sure how this will impact the noise of the overflow.

Other pump thoughts..

Syncra SDC 7.0 WiFi Controllable Pump (800-1900 GPH)

Reef Octo VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH)

Guess i'm moving back out of the nano world and entering medium size tank status. Should I add a new fish in a few weeks :wub:

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
On 3/3/2018 at 10:30 AM, tanacharison said:

BAMMM

New tank

That tank is a beast, wow!

On your return pump dilemma, what's the price comparison between them? Could the savings on one get you something else in your budget? :) 

• Like 2

Man, way to stick with it after the mishaps.  That new tank is a whole lot of sexiness.  Can't wait to see you moved in.  Looks like perseverance will win out again!  Keep up the great work and updates!

• Like 2
tanacharison
55 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That tank is a beast, wow!

On your return pump dilemma, what's the price comparison between them? Could the savings on one get you something else in your budget? :) 

True. it's a $40 difference. I need to see what this other pump will do in action..I guess it's time start plumbing. 

53 minutes ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Man, way to stick with it after the mishaps.  That new tank is a whole lot of sexiness.  Can't wait to see you moved in.  Looks like perseverance will win out again!  Keep up the great work and updates!

Thanks! I'm really excited to start another build. This hobby is amazing... i'll die before I leave at the point. :lol:

• Like 2
tanacharison

I'm thinking about doing something crazy.. I might slide my new tank next to my old stand and plumb both tanks to the same sump so I can have a frag tank in the same system. Kinda defeats the QT part of keeping a frag tank. I also don't think my sump can handle that much water flow. But I would be able to keep all the corals... hahahah

• Like 2
tanacharison

NO LEAKS! Well except I need to tighten up a gate valve... but that’s a easy fix! It’s always nerve racking when your done and waiting to leak test. Fixing leaking plumbing sections sucks! 

Ran out of blue 3/4 and had to use white for the last 10 inches. I already ordered more if I want to change it over. I’m happy to say this return pump is silent but I think it’s under powered I expected it to be violently push water at 100%. I’m hoping to do the transfer tomorrow if I can get enough saltwater to temp in time. Sometimes it sucks to more than double your display volume.

• Like 4
tanacharison

Well... this sucks. I have 40 gallons of saltwater mixed in my kitchen. The worst is my dumb ass put the union after the valve. So I need a new overflow, two valves and some plumbing. This time I played it smart and got a pair of cepex double union ball valves.  They are expensive but should last forever and I can at least replace them without buying a new overflow. 

:rant:

40009036375_cb183db564_c.jpg

What it should look like..

40902778821_cf6d55f7f4_c.jpg[/url

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Still more to do but I’m calling it a day!

40934338242_2e7d37d8df_b.jpg

40266617594_e067cbc2d3_b.jpg

40082563335_c094c873a6_b.jpg

40082563395_dd86701059_b.jpg

Looks great Alonzo! Nice job.  I love how you can see the workings of the sump and dosers but I'd feel pressure to keep all that as clean as the tank.  That's why my sump is hid in the basement!?

• Like 2
tanacharison
19 hours ago, vlangel said:

Looks great Alonzo! Nice job.  I love how you can see the workings of the sump and dosers but I'd feel pressure to keep all that as clean as the tank.  That's why my sump is hid in the basement!?

Thanks. It is more work but it's the only way I'll keep it looking brand new. The sump under my cube hidden and its a mess under there.

7 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Looks amazing, I am follwing this tank along to see where it goes.

Thank you.  I started a new build page!

5 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Dang looking great!!! 

Thank you sir.  Now if my display ends up looking 1/2 as good as yours I'll be happy.

• Like 2
tanacharison

I decided to pull the trigger on a VarioS-6 return pump. It's a extra 700gph than the Skimz and I'm guessing I need an additional 250gph. The skimz is amazing just not enough power... on a positive when its running at 100% I can't hear a thing from the pump and I absolutely love soft start. Why have I not used DC pumps before! I'm going to move this pump to my cube that could use more flow.

Also forgot to mention that I never needed to switch out the overflow and upgrade the valves.  I was able to unscrew the gate valve and replace the threaded bonnet. I had two attached to my old synergy overflow that only needed cleaned up.

• Like 2