Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rebuilding the Shallow Reef Tank Pt.2

tanacharison

Corals and fish still doing well.  Losing battle to red slime so i'm tapping out to chemiclean.. I've used it in the past with good results but never with this much coral.  I also feel like downsizing the return pump caused a lot of my issues.  The cube has 4x the turnover and looks amazing... Guess that's why i'm only buying new corals for it.  Anyone looking to sell a cheep controllable return pump. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well to reward myself we are trying acros again.. hopefully they do well this time around fingers crossed.  Zero plans to change anything, except add an additional pump right now.  Tank is the cleanest I've see it in a long time.  Did a coral feeding and water change tonight.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Hey there! Nice setup.

Random question about red sea blue bucket salt, do you use a scale or other method of measuring? 

Nothing special.. I normally mix about 25 gallons at a time in a brute trash can.  It takes around 7 cups, normally put 5-6 in then test and add more as needed.

9 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Nothing special.. I normally mix about 25 gallons at a time in a brute trash can.  It takes around 7 cups, normally put 5-6 in then test and add more as needed.

25 gallons must last you forever!

On 12/6/2017 at 5:15 PM, tanacharison said:

Did my first water change in over a month.. just got to busy leading up to thanksgiving. Gotta love working in retail.  I decided to dig into my sump and give it a deep clean for this water change. I pulled out a lot of gunk and gave the skimmer a good vinegar bath.

38164751654_e11dceef5b_z.jpg

Mangroves are racing!

38164751844_2d6cab76b6_z.jpg

Baby RFA? Hydroid? Random Sea Creature? :lol:

38164749894_bf56e00562_z.jpg

I have no idea who is winning.  The recorda looks to split again...right on top of the chalice.  The chalice it starting a bright green in the center of the eyes.

37993567885_c6463c26d9_z.jpg

The entire tank is fighting for space.

38164750484_96e6168bd2_z.jpg

Blue chalice showing growth still.  The LC superman split :wub:

37993568155_a248647165_z.jpg

December FTS!

38164751104_098d3d3025_z.jpg

37993568375_1253d4150e_z.jpg

Looking really nice:wub:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a small 5g water change today and I’ve been cleaning the acrylic daily trying to keep up.  I’ve doubled my coral feedings in attempt at making my flowerpot happy.  Not really sure if it’s going to work but it’s honestly the only coral suffering except for my neon green chalice.  It’s losing hard to the recorda and I guess I need to do something about it?  The Miami hurricane hidden in the center of the tank just started to show good growth.  Marks week 8 using aquaforest zeo.  I picked up two rainbow monti frags but I’m leaving them in the cube to

grow out until I get the new tank.

The basement temperature swings are crazy. I don't think I can put anything in the frag tanks until after winter even then I would need to empty them again by next year or find another solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Return of my montis...my sunset is glowing and showing pe again.  My hot pink is starting to glow and show new tabling growth.  Back of the tank is looking worse...new one should be ready any day.

Great pics of the setup.  Love that Blennie.  I am interested in the use of the Apex Mounting arms for your light.  I wanted to do a led/t5 but did not want to hang from the ceiling or atop my rimless.  Are you happy with the Apex arms?  Did you have to do any alterations to them to accommodate your light?

• Like 1
tanacharison
2 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Ah! Everyone's worst nightmare. At least you were home though! 

Was it an old tank or did you buy it new?

Yeah so crazy story... This tank had a tiny hairline gap between the seams at the very top that I noticed maybe 2 months after it was running.  I thought nothing of it until mid summer when the tank started bowing and the gap widened. I drained the tank and added silicone thinking i'm a tank building pro.  After a month I gave in for fear of a disaster and pulled the trigger ordering a new tank. Tuesday after cleaning my overflow the sweet spot for the siphon was not working right.  Last  night I was feeding reef roids and decided to play with the overflow again. This morning I woke up and I hear a crack that sounded like wood breaking.. this is a old building so I ignored it at first.  Continuing on with my day I went to add the morning bacteria and the noise happened again except it was really loud. After looking around the tank I noticed a tiny leak coming out of the silicone about 2 inches down. At that point I was all in on taking it down asap. I told my boss I would only be a hour late... 3 hours later I called off hoping to find a overflow and get that tank running to my sump.   It was a 20g breeder from petco I use for a QT.  I had to run and get a HOB overflow because its not drilled and I wanted to keep it even if I payed $20 for it. haha This eshopps PF-800 scares the shit out of me. I can't believe the U-tube just sits inside not attached to anything. I tested the power outage a few times and it started right back up again. 

15 minutes ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

Great pics of the setup.  Love that Blennie.  I am interested in the use of the Apex Mounting arms for your light.  I wanted to do a led/t5 but did not want to hang from the ceiling or atop my rimless.  Are you happy with the Apex arms?  Did you have to do any alterations to them to accommodate your light?

They are Kessil mounting arms and extensions. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a-series-mounting-arm-kessil.html

They worked really well and I will continue to use them on all my set ups even if i'm not using Kessil lights haha.  They have 2 holes drilled right on the arm that overhangs the tank. Any wire LED hanging kit will work with it. 

38798715564_2e23208ea3_c.jpg

25636686928_89b70e2a47_c.jpg