ReefCleaners.org

Lazyfish's florida biotope: upgraded to 7g from 4g :Update 3/18/17

LazyFish

That's what I thought. Thanks. ...bad news on the rose....after the shrimp nomed on it a large limpet decided to chow on it too....about 60 percent of the tissue was dammaged or eaten....what's left ate some brine shrimp and it is STILL reActive to light inflated when the lights are on  and deflated when off and withdraws from contact so I guess its still alive. In babying it right now I hope it can recover I can not say how anget I am. That limpet has been in this tank tank with that coral from the start and never touched a thing and has algae to eat aswell ugh!

• Wow 1
RayWhisperer

Limpets are risky. I just learned that the hard way. The stupid orange fleshy limpet decided that my colonial tunicates were far tastier than the algae it had been eating. In 2 days it's completely eliminated my tunicates.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Yea hard lesson learned.... Yikes I have an orange fleshy in my 20g! well I guess that is going in my friends sump with my coral eater too.....I can usually find him so catching it is not a huge problem. Sorry about the tunicates...I can't believe they would eat that aren't some of them toxic? I just found one on the bottom of my new trachyphillia its got purple tips its so cool. I have been really watching the tiny white limpets in my other two tanks but from what I am reading those ones are generally ok.

No improvement on the rose now about 65% of the tissue is gone or just hanging. I just moved the rose to my 10g to try to save it. I may have made a mistake moving it but at this point I'm not sure if it matters it looks like its getting worse. I have had better success reviving things in that tank for some reason even though I try to keep water parameters all the same perhaps it has something to do with flow or lighting idk....we shall see.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 2:12 PM, LazyFish said:

Yea hard lesson learned.... Yikes I have an orange fleshy in my 20g! well I guess that is going in my friends sump with my coral eater too.....I can usually find him so catching it is not a huge problem. Sorry about the tunicates...I can't believe they would eat that aren't some of them toxic? I just found one on the bottom of my new trachyphillia its got purple tips its so cool. I have been really watching the tiny white limpets in my other two tanks but from what I am reading those ones are generally ok.

No improvement on the rose now about 65% of the tissue is gone or just hanging. I just moved the rose to my 10g to try to save it. I may have made a mistake moving it but at this point I'm not sure if it matters it looks like its getting worse. I have had better success reviving things in that tank for some reason even though I try to keep water parameters all the same perhaps it has something to do with flow or lighting idk....we shall see.

I think moving it was the right call,  This way if it dies, it won't mess up the tank it was in.  Also it stands a better chance of recovery if its can be by itself.  Hope it bounces back.

• 4 months later...

The tank is no longer a biotope it has just basically been sitting there after the rose died just did not look right it was honestly my favorite thing in the tank. I moved some of the gorgs to other tanks they are still alive. I still have the starcoral and Boulder corals and the rics. I decided to use this tank as a grow out tank for my rfa babies there are 16 in here now and two adults. Two of my masked hobbies died one left. I've been really depressed looking at the tank lately so I decided to forgo the biotope idea and change it to a mixed reef focused on my baby rfa nems. It is now home to a long polyp green toad stool and a frozen frostbite clown soon to be paired with a black storm male. The mask was moved to the 10 with my other clowns and gets along fine with them. I may re do it as a biotope again someday after I get my 29 back up and running. 

Edited by LazyFish