Cultivated Reef

White mucus strings?

dandelion

I am having a lot of strings in my reef tank since last night. They look like secretions from vermetid snails. They seem to aggregate on my GHA and shells of my collonista snails. My RBTA didn't seem to be bothered. Is it something I need to worry about or will it pass? Thanks!

VhotoGIF-2_zpsry8x71fz.gif

VhotoGIF_zpsagzhygpe.gif

VhotoGIF-1_zpsppc9uheb.gif

This usually happens when there is stuff in the water (like after doing some tank cleaning). It tends to clear as things settle back down.

I noticed my GHA seems to be dying off. I'm wondering if those things are feeding off the dead GHA.

This usually happens when there is stuff in the water (like after doing some tank cleaning). It tends to clear as things settle back down.

• 2 years later...

Bringing up an old thread so I can avoid posting a new one. 

Last night my tank looked great. Water was crystal clear and everything was awesome. I woke up this morning to find my feather duster had shed it’s crown and feathers and there was a large amount of a white mucus floating around. Some of the mucus was attached to the rocks but majority was floating around. I couldn’t locate the source and this is the first time this has happened.  I got rid of as much of the mucus as I could but I’m sure there will be more when I get home from work today. Any idea what I’m dealing with and should I be concerned?

33B0C040-F646-4093-AB65-89A7FEB06BF6.jpeg

You can scrape them off, or superglue them shut.  However, if your rock is porous, it's often difficult to get them all.

• Like 1