Top Shelf Aquatics

My fish got a new home!

Tigahboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

show pics of tank with MH"S. I am going to buy the 40 gallon breeder clear for life. Wondering if I should buy to 150W DE or one 250W DE. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

Hey Tigahboy, I was thinking of getting myself a bigger tank and transfering everything from my 20 gallon into a possible 40 Gallon. My question is, did you have any casualties in the transfer? How long did the transfer take? How much was that refug.. from Petco? What I've seen they can be a bit pricy!

Wow..haven't logged into nano-reef in awhile...law school just started up again and now i'm busy as hell...but don't worry, haven't slacked on my tank yet (at the expense of my studying however).

show pics of tank with MH"S. I am going to buy the 40 gallon breeder clear for life. Wondering if I should buy to 150W DE or one 250W DE. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

Anyways. Marinedepot originally told me MH on backorder and won't come in until end of September...but LUCKILY, they came in already and mine should be coming in today! Yay for me!

I'll post pics this weekend when I figure a way to set it up w/o looking funky...

I think surfing the web for corals is a huge distraction and don't recommend it to grad students...but I ended up purchasing 2 zoo frags from Roesmarineworld.com via Ebay; 1 zoo frag and 2 ricordea from roes directly; 1 teal blue zoo frag and 1 bright yellow center zoo frag from anthony at aquadesignz.com (have to go pick them up sometime...just don't have time to do it now); 3 zoo (well some palythoa) frags from aquaprop.com (and Brian was so nice and since he was going to LAX anyways, he just dropped them off at my apt free of charge!!!); and just placed order last night w/ the new vender fragpacks.com w/ Jim. Nice guy and he posted his AIM so we chatted for awhile and I FINALLY got the metallic green frogspawn w/ pink tips I've been looking for (over a month now) and a nice big colony of crazy zoo's!

Check out fragpacks.com! He has a lot more than what's pictured and he'll show you via IM or email...and he has 1 more of this crazy frogspawn left! Just ask him about it (you'll see a "SOLD" sign on his sit for it, but he said he has another).

frog.jpg

yes, this is the actual piece I will be getting on friday...*sigh of content*

Okay, I should really be studying right now since I have Evidence class in a few hours...but I can't....seem.......to........resist.....nano-reef!

Hey Tigahboy, I was thinking of getting myself a bigger tank and transfering everything from my 20 gallon into a possible 40 Gallon. My question is, did you have any casualties in the transfer?

I did not have any casualties other than 1 tiny ricordea polyp...and that was simply b/c I was being careless and banged him around while moving the live rock.

I just bough those 32 gallon storage bins (like Rubbermaid, but not same brand) from Target...was like $5 each...

Moved as much water as I could thru siphon tube into storage bin, then moved LR and corals, then carefully the sand, then fish and inverts...transferred the rest of the water....sold the old tank...realized the new stand wasn't ready and had to wait a whole week!

So for an entire week all my livestock was in the storage bin...I had 2 more bins w/ powerheads going to mix my synthetic salt and RO water...and I guess the week long wait was worth it since it gave time for water to mix and time for new LR to cure in a smaller bin plus ph.

checked water params everyday...nothing really changed...ammonia, nitrites all zero throughout the transition.

How long did the transfer take?

Okay...so not including the week of just having my fish in a tub w/ all ligts, filters, etc running of course, I spent a good 11 hours, but w/ many smoke breaks and many tv breaks in between and w/ help from a friend who was really just slowing me down by wanting to take even MORE tv breaks and breaks to discuss philosophy.

I think the longest part was the plumbing...setting it up, filling everything up w/ regular water to make sure no leaks...then moving everything into the right location...

But the actual transferring from tub to tank was relatively fast...I remember sweating a lot tho...it was summer after all. I finished up around 5 AM...worked straight thru the night.

And oh...I spent like another couple hours the following day trying to get the rocks arranged...

How long did the transfer take? How much was that refug.. from Petco? What I've seen they can be a bit pricy!

Well it's not a fancy smancy refugium...just a simple 20g long all glass aquarium from petco...i got it cuz it was the biggest I could fit under my stand and w/ enuf height for me to work in their if needed. It cost me $39.99 at petco...not sure if that's considered pricy or not.

And I don't have nice baffle panels to baffle the flow cuz I'm too lazy to go that far and in terms of microbubbles, I don't have any probs if that's what the baffle systems in other refugiums are for...but i think its cuz the 20 g long is sufficiently long enuf to have some distance between your overflow and return lines to not create such a prob....well...that plus I added that plastic breeder compartment thingy from petco to my overflow lines which helps baffle to some degree...it's positioned a little above the water line and it trickles down from all 4 sides into sump/refugium...AND I have created the "refuge" are by just enclosing off an area w/ lots of live rock....placed the chaeto algae in the center surrounded by the rock wall and they don't get thrown around and stuff like in other areas of the 20g.

oh...and now I have TONS and TONS of pods and other critters down there now...at last! I took off the foam part of my return pump, but w/ caution since I thought I'd see microbubbles then...but nope..no microbubbles...and now the pods can get up to the main tank and I see them crawling around all over the place...

Hope that helps, dude!

I will try to post updated pics of corals, aquascaping cuz I tried to increase the height, metal halides IF i can get around to hanging them up all by this Sunday (9/16) at the latest.

Got my metal halides in yesterday!!! FINALLY! But I've been too busy to set them up. =/

And got my order from the new vendor fragpacks.com! Their zoo's are crazy! Best zoo's in my aquarium so far...and healthy as hell (opened fully w/in an hour!).

I'll post pics of mh and new arrivals soon...

Nice looking setup.

Do many of your pods get blended on their way up?

I didn't know AquaVia made a 28 gallon. I have a 21 and it looks a lot like your old one. BTW what are your plans for the AquaVia?

Do many of your pods get blended on their way up?

I have no way of telling...but I just noticed way more pods in the main tank w/ the bloom in pods in refugium...oh, and I have actually seen 1 pod get sucked in by pump and blown out into top fully intact and alive.

And I actually have no idea anymore how many gallons the ViaAqua was. LFS told me 25, someone else told me 28, etc.

It was sold.

Damn it! After finally getting around to opening up the box containing my metal halide, I realized that the bulb was not included! But the lighting system is supposed to come w/ a 20000K HQI light bulb...how disappointing, my metal halide lighting must be delayed YET again...

Metal Halide bulb will arrive on Tuesday...so until then, here's some pics of my newest additions from fragpacks.com in actinic blues...

Metallic Frogspawn w/ 2 heads!

frog92104.jpg

Cool Eagle Eyes, couple Electric Greens, and a few others!

zoo92104.jpg

Left side is pretty bare...still haven't figured out what I would like to put on that side...leaving it open until I do.

how much asre you into the 30 gallon

Do you mean how much money or how much do I like it?

1) a lot of money...so much that I would prefer not to think about it...

2) i like it very much...especially the length cuz it gives me a lot of room to work with.

Thanks for compliments...just need to figure out how to take better pictures and I'm set!

Metal halide bulb should be coming in today...hopefully I won't miss the UPS guy like I usually do...he just knocks and runs!

Getting another zoa colony on Friday (electric greens from fragpacks.com)...can't wait! They look like this on the website!

electricgreens.jpg

Gave my perc away to a friend since he was becoming a big bully and shreddin up my firefish's fins...sad...

clown.jpg

Hopefully I can find a tiny perc to add to my tank since it's just not the same w/o these guys!

While I was at LFS, picked up an Electric Flame Scallop I've been eyeing for a couple of weeks...you can kind of see the blue electric-like lines - but you have to see in person to get the full effect.

scallop1.jpg

scallop2.jpg

And these guys really know how to dance!

6:36PM...still no UPS guy w/ my MH bulb! ARG!

Finally! Picked up the bulb at UPS station and we are now back in business!

Here's my tank under a single 150w 20000K HQI MH pendant:

mh1.jpg

Pic of the complete set-up:

mh2.jpg

Pic of my trumpet coral under new lighting:

mtrumpet.jpg

How much was MH set up dude.

Exactly $259.00 at marinedepot.com. No shipping or tax for this since it's over $175...and you get a free t-shirt..haha.

It includes pendant, MH bulb (either 10000K or 20000K), mounting stuff... it's called Aqua Medic Ocean Light HQI Fixture (item # AQOL4).

Dropped by a LFS to buy some supplies and I saw a huge colony of baby/powder blue zoo's and other colors. I was surprised when he told me it was only $30 cuz I've bought smaller frags w/ just brown colors for WAY more at the same place (back when I didn't even know the difference between zoanthids and mushrooms)....

Didn't question it and I bought it quick...

Close-up of the light blue zoo's...

babyblue1.jpg

This bad boy must have at least 150+ polyps!

babyblue2.jpg

Not as vibrant or rich in color like my other zoo frags, but I think it's a good deal for $30.

Archived