inTank Media Baskets

Spectras 100 Lagoon Part Deux

spectra

Well the Versa was just not up to par so........decided to go bigger. Really liked the footprint of the 48x24x16 Deep Blue and almost picked one up but decided to go custom so here are the details........

Tank 48x30x16 built by www.oceansbydesign.com all 1/2" starfire glass with synergy overflow.

Stand built by me......pics to follow

Light well :o Just wait for pics on that one........48" ATI 8 bulb that is being worked over by a certain sponsor of the forum ;)

Sump is a starfire rimless from a Red Sea Reefer 250 that did not need it anymore.......

Return Jebao DCT 6000 but might change in time.

2 MP 40s for flow......

Apex to control it all......

I am still on the fence on dosing or going full out on a reactor will see how it all goes. Hopefully will have the tank running in a month or so as I have 35lbs of pukani curing in a brute in the garage just waiting and all sorts of corals to..........tank is done just waiting for delivery and am in the process of building my stand now. Oh and Carpet :lol: I need to get that finished so I can bring it all back into the house :rolleyes:

Here are a few pics to start and a lot more to come........

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

Now powder coated and starting the skin.....IMG_2384.jpg

Decided I really like Urbaneks build so barn wood for the win ;)IMG_2386.jpg

I gutted the sump as it had a crack in the sock holder and well I don't run a filter sock so........IMG_2279.jpg

Last here is a quick idea I had with the rock. 3 islands and lots of sand I need sand for the acans and plates I have now. IMG_2163.jpg

more to come at a later date ;)

• Like 9

Well well well. :naughtydance: Looking forward to this.

Me to :lol: I just need to finish it....... heading to the local Lowes or Home Depot in the morning for some 1x6 poplar so I can start the framework.

• Like 1

How much did it cost you to have it built vs the deep blue.

It was a little over double the price but glass is thicker, ghost overflow rather than the whole corner and also no plastic rim on the bottom of the tank. Also it has starfire on 3 sides not just the front as the Deep Blue only comes with the front done. You are always going to pay more for a custom anything and in this hobby nothing is cheap ;)

Love It! When/if I ever get around to building a new stand, I'm copying YOU! :P

Copy away :lol:

Like I said on the barn wood I really like Urbaneks build and the way his stand looks so am going to incorporate a few of his ideas in this build.

• Like 2

Wow, looks great! Do the reactor instead of dosing, it's not my money being spent :)

Yeah I had a GEO for the Versa but there was no room for it so sold it. But there will be plenty of room in the sump area on this tank. My only issue is the one I like is expensive go figure :lol:

• Like 2

Got a little more done today and a lot more to do but its getting there.......

Yesterday painted the top 3/4 ply white underneath and black on top but you wont see it as it will be buried but I am just to anal about things :lol: also painted a 1/2 ply for the bottom and caulked it all in this morning. Hopefully I have a water tight seal if there is any water leaks.......knock on wood.

IMG_2398.jpg

Made the face frames out of 1x6 poplar but need to sand and paint them this week some time after work. Also got to love the kreg jig ;) greatest invention made!

IMG_2391.jpg

Face frames just in place but you get the idea......

IMG_2394.jpg

Also decided to have an enclosure for all the electronics to go into so just used some more 1x6 and made a box and used 3/4 ply on the back. I think there will be plenty of room in there for all sorts of things.

IMG_2395.jpg

Just clamped in place for an idea of what it will look like as I am still working it out how I want to mount it. Will probably just add a few spacers on each side and tek screw it into the steel.

IMG_2396.jpg

Well that's it for today.........see anything you might do different or have an ideas toss them out there ;)

• Like 4

Love the side cabinet. I had seen that design in another thread awhile ago but can't remember whose it was. So you built a wood frame around a steel frame? Okay, I changed my mind. I'm not going to copy you, I'm just going to pay you to build it for me!

• Like 2

Looking too good! That barnwood is going to look fantastic, I love that look from Urbanek's build, too.

One suggestion, leave an easy way to get cables in and out of the electronics box once they are all plugged in. :)

• Like 1

Really nice so far and those ferns outside too are beautiful.

Thanks and yes ferns are one of my favorite shade plants. That's the north side of the house and does not get much sunlight at all.

Wow you made some great progress today!!! It's going to look awesome!

A little ;) Thanks!

Following, looking great so far.

Thanks!

You have my attention! Looks sweet so far! Great job on the stand :)

Thanks!

Love the side cabinet. I had seen that design in another thread awhile ago but can't remember whose it was. So you built a wood frame around a steel frame? Okay, I changed my mind. I'm not going to copy you, I'm just going to pay you to build it for me!

Yep I have built a few steel stands for local reefers. I like the steel frame then hide it with wood. If I were to do a modern look I would probably use bigger steel and leave it open.

Awesome! How are you going to run wires through the plywood? Holes? Inserts?

Looking too good! That barnwood is going to look fantastic, I love that look from Urbanek's build, too.

One suggestion, leave an easy way to get cables in and out of the electronics box once they are all plugged in. :)

Yep going to either use inserts or just a few holes but yes a plug end will need to go through. My main thing was to just try and keep it away from salt creep and moisture. It should work decent enough.

• Like 1

Got to work a little more and made a few doors for it. These things are heavy and could probably work as a shield if need be :lol: I might re work them at a later date if they are to much of a pain in the ass.......I did not want double doors on the front so......trying to paint the skin tonight or tomorrow as the tank shows up Sunday and would like to have it pretty much ready so I can work on plumbing it and leak testing for a week or so.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

• Like 5