Top Shelf Aquatics

Spectras 100 Lagoon Part Deux

spectra

2 hours ago, Sancho said:

whats-in-the-box-gif-7.gif

Actually 8 sticks.............plus picked up some more at the LFS..............need to find homes on the rocks now........

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Actually 8 sticks.............plus picked up some more at the LFS..............need to find homes on the rocks now........

Still no pics🙄 I’m going back to @jack1978and @jbb_00 threads to just be let down 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Sancho said:

Still no pics🙄 I’m going back to @jack1978and @jbb_00 threads to just be let down 

Nope but working on a pic just for you so stay tuned :lol:

Oh and wait till you see the corals........picked up a acid something milli at the LFS and its ####ing gorgeous.......fingers crossed I dont kill it.......

• Like 2

Just now, spectra said:

Nope but working on a pic just for you so stay tuned :lol:

Oh and wait till you see the corals........picked up a acid something milli at the LFS and its ####ing gorgeous.......fingers crossed I dont kill it.......

stop with the teasing already....

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

stop with the teasing already....

Sorry but I just got home and cracked a beer........so may be tomorrow for all I know :lol: need to find my ice gel to.......

• Like 1

Ok here we go.................Mrs Crossfit took my laptop so had to wait to get it back........

anyway onto some pics.........crappy ones but hey I need a better iphone filter.......

Picked up a garf yesterday one of my favorites......IMG_6469.jpg.eaf8a02a01d179632946b796f6324822.jpg

My Tubbs Stellata is coming back great after the disaster.......I lost probably 95% of the colony only a small chunk was left but it had tripled in size. IMG_6474.jpg.31b15df2eee24965712f3e2d61574cde.jpg

Scoly doing great....IMG_6476.jpg.9596abc9ae75df46f65a3465ba3d1e02.jpg

Wall hammer I picked up a few weeks ago......IMG_6473.jpg.d48d8fd6360da70cc15c65b5774f0fd4.jpg

And some pics of the battle box and also a couple from my LFS......the acid trip milli is sweet.......need the T5s on to get all the color out of it......

IMG_6470.jpg.347ecad60bf78694756534f9d117945b.jpgIMG_6472.jpg.a280abcb9229bbb4604c97b26930c3b9.jpgIMG_6477.jpg.0f31c12206f949d5419cb59d6f210283.jpgIMG_6471.jpg.b41d9100e8fafc4fd9286f6caf064c41.jpg

• Like 9
A Little Blue

Acid trip is the bomb! 

Isnt that grarf also called bonsai tree or something? I like that one as well. It on my list. You treated yourself very well sir. 😉

Well done.👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, JR! said:

do want those millis

I love millis........fuzzy corals are the best.....I love to see them swaying in the flow......

2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Acid trip is the bomb! 

Isnt that grarf also called bonsai tree or something? I like that one as well. It on my list. You treated yourself very well sir. 😉

Well done.👍

Yep Garf Bonsai it has always been one I liked......probably why I like the stellata as the colors are the same. Also its a monti that grows like a stick......

Now if I can just grow the stuff..........

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

I love millis........fuzzy corals are the best.....I love to see them swaying in the flow......

Yep Garf Bonsai it has always been one I liked......probably why I like the stellata as the colors are the same. Also its a monti that grows like a stick......

Now if I can just grow the stuff..........

I’m sure you can. Why  wouldn’t it grow? All they need is seawater. 😏

But honestly, there are some @&$%#€ that hate my tank as well and refuse to live a happy life like rest of them. 

The last batch of sticks I got from my buddy got me to do some real gymnastics to get them back on track. You would laugh at things I’ve tried to save them but they’re still alive so it worked or I just got lucky. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m sure you can. Why  wouldn’t it grow? All they need is seawater. 😏

But honestly, there are some @&$%#€ that hate my tank as well and refuse to live a happy life like rest of them. 

The last batch of sticks I got from my buddy got me to do some real gymnastics to get them back on track. You would laugh at things I’ve tried to save them but they’re still alive so it worked or I just got lucky. Lol

As long as I keep my 2 part filled...............I think I may be ok...........

• Haha 2

The clam has landed back home................also grabbed my carpet lobo and I think both have grown since being gone :lol: knock on wood no corals have went the way of the white skeleton.......a few are even encrusting and reaching out on the rocks.

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

• Like 5
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

The clam has landed back home................also grabbed my carpet lobo and I think both have grown since being gone :lol: knock on wood no corals have went the way of the white skeleton.......a few are even encrusting and reaching out on the rocks.

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

Hell yeah 😀 Looking good spectra

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue

Glad to see your babies are doing good and tank with that new scape has a lot of potential to look amazing. 

I'm curious about your fox tho. Did you ever experienced or heard about fox grazing on lobophora algae? 

Someone, somewhere said that Fox and Naso are good candidates for dealing with that issue. 

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Glad to see your babies are doing good and tank with that new scape has a lot of potential to look amazing. 

I'm curious about your fox tho. Did you ever experienced or heard about fox grazing on lobophora algae? 

Someone, somewhere said that Fox and Naso are good candidates for dealing with that issue. 

Any thoughts?

Not sure to be honest. This is my second foxface and the last one I think ate everything......I had bubble algae in my fuge but nothing in the display.....anything green it would eat. Loved that fish and came home one day to it dead on the sandbed with all fins out......The new one seems to pick pretty good so far. I also have a yellow and kole in there so they pick also.

I do know whatever algae I had last time nothing would touch it.......no fish or snails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, spectra said:

Not sure to be honest. This is my second foxface and the last one I think ate everything......I had bubble algae in my fuge but nothing in the display.....anything green it would eat. Loved that fish and came home one day to it dead on the sandbed with all fins out......The new one seems to pick pretty good so far. I also have a yellow and kole in there so they pick also.

I do know whatever algae I had last time nothing would touch it.......no fish or snails.

Lobophora is an encrusting sometimes plating algea,  dark red almost burgundy in color (often mistaken for coralline algae). I have urchin that keeps it under control but she can't get to all nook and crannies. 

Also, I have read several papers/studies about impact of lobophora algae on reefs, especially Acros and other sps corals and it was alarming. There are several Lobophora species in the family and aggression varies between those species but most have negative impact on acros (especially at point of direct contact). 

I'm pretty sure you know what it looks like but here are some examples  (some random of the Internet pic and patches from my own tank) 

simon80011.jpg.1e073efe7c3476a7a1d44f9b225dcf37.jpg

E5854101-BC9A-4AA7-80CD-847EB4E21B95.thumb.jpeg.423a1c02f0faf5207ccf86be88f95d70.jpeg.24454a49bed1d7d9f1fdbae173b8dd0a.jpeg

Do you think that it would be wise to try "renting" small 2-3" Fox to try it out?????????????????

1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

Do you think that it would be wise to try "renting" small 2-3" Fox to try it out?????????????????

I think I have seen that just not in my tank.

As for the small foxface not sure how small you can get them. I know I was looking for a real small one and local store said they dont do well when tiny. I would say try it if you can get a small one. Should be easy to get out at night as they dont hide well. Mine usually hangs in a gorgonian.

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, spectra said:

I think I have seen that just not in my tank.

As for the small foxface not sure how small you can get them. I know I was looking for a real small one and local store said they dont do well when tiny. I would say try it if you can get a small one. Should be easy to get out at night as they dont hide well. Mine usually hangs in a gorgonian.

Owner of my lfs also owns Unique Corals and I can special order 2-3" Fox. I would probably let it acclimate in the store for few weeks before taking it home. 

Thanks for catching tips. I'm willing to try almost anything to get rid of this crap. Sally Crabs supposedly eat it as well but I don't trust those guys with my nano fish. They are also PITA to catch. 

Boring (but interesting if you have this problem) studies on impact of lobophora on reefs and SPS corals in anyone is interested:

Title: Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance

(Sorry, I wasn't able to link website directly)

Maybe different paper will work idk?

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep18637Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance

• Like 2

Well had to head back to the LFS...................picked up a new toy today and thought a local friend had some macro but nope.......so back to the store and had to being this torch home :lol: also some pics at feeding time.......acans were all open and happy. Also some top down shots when the pumps were off.........

Dang I need a camera :lol:

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

Colors are so much better without the Iphone............

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

IMG_6529.jpg

Is that what I think it is?  green and gold like this? 👇🏼

www.nano-reef.com%26dtd=250&title=ISO%20

BTW, @spectra, you must be excited about this reboot, damn I haven't seen this much activity on this tank thread in years....might be its busiest wknd ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2