Innovative Marine Aquariums

Spectras 100 Lagoon Part Deux

spectra

The doors look great! How thick did you plane the panels?

Did not take much off as I did not want to sit at the planer for hours upon hours.......I still have one more door to do. Lets just put it this way I am sure if hell break loos I am grabbing a door as a shield :lol: I think they would stop a bullet....... 1/2" ply and the wood is about an inch thick maybe more. I may look into doing new ones later on down the road when I have time.

• Like 2

Sounds like you need a resaw blade for your band saw. And a band saw if you don't have a band saw :lol:

They look really good, and if you ever need a safe, just stick a lock on the doors of your tank stand :)

• Like 2

If the tank is half as good as your DIY stand, this will be amazing. The rock scape is nice too. I'm a big fan of islands in the lagoon tank.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a resaw blade for your band saw. And a band saw if you don't have a band saw :lol:

They look really good, and if you ever need a safe, just stick a lock on the doors of your tank stand :)

No band saw.......I wish I had half the tools you have ;) I just picked up the planer and it works great.

I do have an Ellis at work but it does steel not wood...........

If the tank is half as good as your DIY stand, this will be amazing. The rock scape is nice too. I'm a big fan of islands in the lagoon tank.

Thanks! Fingers are crossed it shows up tomorrow.

• Like 2

I just wish I had your welding skills. Thinking about driving up to the great northwest to rob you and RTF :lol: You guys would come home to broken doors and such and just come home to corals missing. Your women folk would be like why didnt they take the boat, cars, or TV's and such. I would of course leave a pack of PBR for RTF. Some craft beer for you after I raided the chicken coop for fresh eggs.

In all seriousness nice work! cant wait to see how this tank evolves.

• Like 2

I just wish I had your welding skills. Thinking about driving up to the great northwest to rob you and RTF :lol: You guys would come home to broken doors and such and just come home to corals missing. Your women folk would be like why didnt they take the boat, cars, or TV's and such. I would of course leave a pack of PBR for RTF. Some craft beer for you after I raided the chicken coop for fresh eggs.

In all seriousness nice work! cant wait to see how this tank evolves.

We have eggs coming out the wazu right now......no one is eating them. I just hard boil them and make potato salad :lol:

Welding is not that hard to learn find someone who has a welder and go to town......

Thanks! and hopefully it turns out good......I am hoping to have the stand ready for the tank tomorrow as it shows up I think :unsure: Just went out and spent 40 bucks on magnets and screws at the hardware store......its nickel and diming me to death but what doesn't in this hobby ;)

• Like 3

Welding is not that hard to learn find someone who has a welder and go to town......

My grandfather taught me to weld. He was a heavy equipment mechanic for most of his life. On site Caterpillar repairs didnt have to be pretty they just had to work. So I learned sloppy welds :lol: I have on old stick welder he passed down to me but I am afraid to turn it on . Pretty sure its from the early 70's

• Like 1

My grandfather taught me to weld. He was a heavy equipment mechanic for most of his life. On site Caterpillar repairs didnt have to be pretty they just had to work. So I learned sloppy welds :lol: I have on old stick welder he passed down to me but I am afraid to turn it on . Pretty sure its from the early 70's

Stick is fun......and just for what you said not pretty but there are some rods that you can lay a sweet bead with.

I just use a wire feed for the stands......easy and makes quick work of it.

Hey! You have a thread going!

I have a few you just need to find them ;)

I would post pics but to many beers.......and one big steak :lol:

bright and early tomorrow I will be back on it......

• Like 2

Well I decided to do a little work even though I should not have....... :lol: a little to drink and was bored so what the hell lets just go drill holes in the new stand..........I need to get some longer screws in the morning and mount the magnets. I did not want to take a 1 1/2 spade bit to the stand while buzzed :blink:

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

• Like 5

Got some more done today after a few hours of sleep :lol: waiting now as the tank is on the road being delivered tonight.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

• Like 5

not even joking, that is a "$1500" fixture at restoration hardware. Im loving it!

just the looks. Never mind the fact that it has a steel structure.

• Like 3

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

i envy you DIY folks

Thanks! I actually enjoy the time of working on it. Now that its almost done I need another project :lol:

What a nice combination of dark and wood grain. Just beautiful.

Thanks but I have to give credit to Urbanek as his build is what inspired me to do this.

not even joking, that is a "$1500" fixture at restoration hardware. Im loving it!

just the looks. Never mind the fact that it has a steel structure.

I agree after the time I have into it and all the wood and little crap I have purchased......but this thing is built like a brick shit house :lol: so when the big one hits I am crawling inside ;)

Oh and look what showed up :o

IMG_2446.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks! I actually enjoy the time of working on it. Now that its almost done I need another project :lol:

Thanks but I have to give credit to Urbanek as his build is what inspired me to do this.

I agree after the time I have into it and all the wood and little crap I have purchased......but this thing is built like a brick shit house :lol: so when the big one hits I am crawling inside ;)

Oh and look what showed up :o

IMG_2446.jpg

I might be spending my time here rather than the lounge.
  • Like 3

Spectra, how did you get the Barnwood so clean without sanding the surface? Was it power washed and allowed to dry?

No I did sand it with a DA I used 60 then went to 100 and then 220. I thought I bought 150 but found out I had 2 220 packs.......Then used this wax the guy who sold me the wood told me to use. It like 11 bucks at Home Depot. Great stuff I really like the way it has worked out.

I am starting to like the paint but it was not cheap either 38 bucks a quart :o that's just nuts......

• Like 2

What a beautiful stand. You have a set of skills there, spectra. Well done.

Thanks and to be honest I think anyone can do it you just need to take your time and pay attention to the details.

I will say that I am a bit anal though :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks and to be honest I think anyone can do it you just need to take your time and pay attention to the details.

I will say that I am a bit anal though :lol:

not just blowing smoke up your ass, out of all the beautiful custom stands Ive seen on these forums, yours is one of the absolute best.

maybe its just my personal style tastes

• Like 1

not just blowing smoke up your ass, out of all the beautiful custom stands Ive seen on these forums, yours is one of the absolute best.

maybe its just my personal style tastes

Trust me a lot of people blow smoke :lol: I am not one to brag either but I just like things done right and to look good. I also figured this build was my dream tank so no cutting corners.......I dont even want to think about how much this all cost me :wacko:

• Like 2

Trust me a lot of people blow smoke :lol: I am not one to brag either but I just like things done right and to look good. I also figured this build was my dream tank so no cutting corners.......I dont even want to think about how much this all cost me :wacko:

that black rim around the barnwood, is that steel frame, paint, or a heated laminate type deal?