inTank Media Baskets

thilankasp

Current FTS - 20.11.2017

24659929008_b9b8411d24_b.jpg

Background :
I’ve been a fan of Reef tanks for ages but always was afraid to start one myself so I kept myself busy with freshwater tanks. After reading a lot about them, especially this forum, I decided to start my first Nano Reef. My initial plan was to start something small, around 6 Gallons. But after going through this forum, I saw how hard it is to keep small aquariums stable. So I decided to start with a 26 Gallon.

Tank :
26 Gallon Custom Tank with a filter compartment in the back. Altogether around 30 Gallons.

Equipment :
Resun 1000L/h Submersible Pump
Jebao RW-4 Wavemaker
Resun SK-300 Nano Protein Skimmer
Zetlight ZA1201 Marine LED Light

Filteration :
● 30 Pounds of Live Rock
● 15 Pounds of Live Sand
● Filter Sponge
● GAC
● Purigen

Livestock:
Fish:

● Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica) x 1

● Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion percula) x 2

● Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora) x 1

Segmented Blenny (Salarias segmentatus) x 1

Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni) x 1

Pinkbar goby (Pinkbar goby) x 1

Inverts:
● Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) x 2
● Trochus Snails (Trochus radiatus) x 5
● Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes oshimai) x 1
Indian Sea Star (Fromia indica) x 1
Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone (Stichodactyla tapetum) x 2

Corals:
Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.) x 5
Mushroom Coral (Actinodiscus sp.) x 1
Superman Mushroom (Discosoma sp.) x 2
Hammer Coral (Euphyllia ancora) x 1
● Open Brain Coral ( ? ) X 1

FTS - 11.07.2016 - First Livestock Added
05%20-%2011.07.2016_zpsdrtiqzvq.png

FTS - 11.06.2016 - Tank Established

20.06.2016_zpsaw9b9ktk.png

Comments are appreciated.

• Like 7

Interesting rockscape! Coralline will take a while to grow, and light isn't necessary during the cycle - I have cycled with and without.

I'm trying to decide on a Wave maker for this tank.. Considering the 1000L/h return pump, any advice on how powerful my wave maker should be.. I was looking at the Jebao WP-10 (4000 L/h).. Will I need something stronger or will it be sufficient.. I wont be housing any SPS..

CronicReefer

I'm trying to decide on a Wave maker for this tank.. Considering the 1000L/h return pump, any advice on how powerful my wave maker should be.. I was looking at the Jebao WP-10 (4000 L/h).. Will I need something stronger or will it be sufficient.. I wont be housing any SPS..

I'd get an RW-4 instead (it's very similar to the WP-10 but with more control options). One would probably be sufficient or you can use two and create an alternating flow pattern. Either way you want the total flow in your tank to be at least 20x the total volume. I have over 40x flow in my tank (I'm planning on keeping SPS colonies) and my anemone actually moved towards a spot with strong but indirect flow.

Your rockscape looks very nice by the way.

• Like 1

A WP-10 would be fine. Your aquascape looks great so I have a feeling you won't have a hard time making sure you don't have any dead spots. Before you add livestock in I would put mess around with pointing the wave maker. That way you have a pretty good idea of how your flow will be before blowing crazy amounts of water at an anemone.

• Like 1

Just a small update. Added live sand and a couple of small live rocks to add depth. I ordered the RW-4 and it will be here in few days. I'm waiting one more week to check the water parameters. By then the cycle should be almost over.

25.06.2016_zpsxdj7qdf8.png

The next question I have is about the cleaning crew. Hopefully I will be able to add the cleaning crew by the end of next week. What is the best choice among Scarlet Skunk Shrimp and the Blood Red Fire Shrimp. I'm hoping to add a couple to this tank. Also, what else should I add. Hermit Crabs? Snails?

Comments and Suggestions are welcome..

• Like 4
CronicReefer

Just a small update. Added live sand and a couple of small live rocks to add depth. I ordered the RW-4 and it will be here in few days. I'm waiting one more week to check the water parameters. By then the cycle should be almost over.

25.06.2016_zpsxdj7qdf8.png

The next question I have is about the cleaning crew. Hopefully I will be able to add the cleaning crew by the end of next week. What is the best choice among Scarlet Skunk Shrimp and the Blood Red Fire Shrimp. I'm hoping to add a couple to this tank. Also, what else should I add. Hermit Crabs? Snails?

Comments and Suggestions are welcome..

Things are looking great. Honestly as far as shrimp go you can get whatever kind you like as they are more for display really. Stay away from peppermint shrimps as they often times will go after fleshy corals. I don't trust hermit crabs anymore as they ripped apart my acans after feeding to get the food inside of them. My favorite clean up crew members are asterina starfish, banded trochus, turbo snails, fighting conchs, and emerald crabs. Nassarius snails are good if you are a heavy feeder. Also I see you plan on making this an anemone tank. I would wait till the entire algae cycle has completed before adding any anemones. Most people recommend your tank to be at least 6 months matured to allow it to reach some biological stability and so you can get used to maintaining it properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.. My plan is to add the CUC -> Fish -> Zoas and Mushrooms -> LPS -> Anemones.. so it'll be atleast 6-8 months till I come to the stage to add anemones.. who knows.. this might not end up as an anemone tank..

thilankasp

Just to keep things posted, I did the first set of tests for the tank using API test kit.

PH - 8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

KH - 8

Looks like the cycle is almost complete. I'm doing a large water change on Monday and start adding the Clean up crew by the end of next week..

• Like 1

Nice start! I like the scape and it looks like you have a very solid plan. I'll be following along - I've been thinking about a BTA for my 40g tank so I'm interested to see what you learn along the way :)

• Like 1
thilankasp

Added the first batch of inverts.

5 x Trochus Snails (Trochus radiatus)

1 x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

1 x Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

1 x Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes oshimai)

Still not sure about keeping the Anemone Crab. Anyone keeping them safely in a Reef setup ?

I'll be adding a couple of Ceriths and Nerites next week.

05.07.2016_zpscouufdp5.png

05.07.2016-2_zpsru1ss9zy.png

• Like 4
thilankasp

Some observations on the Trochus snails : They are very active. Going around the tank throughout the day, cleaning every bit of algae they can find. They stay on the rocks though.. I haven't seen them on the sand. Maybe because I don't have any algae/diatoms in the sand at the moment. They seem to prefer cyno/film algae than hair algae. But they do eat a bit of hair algae and probably will help keep it on check. (I only have a micro spot of hair algae anyway). Overall I'm very happy with them.

On a different note, coralline has started to spread and hopefully it will cover the rocks in few months.

• Like 1

One week mark after adding the shrimp. Everyone looks happy. The Red Fire even made the 1st molt..

I got the opportunity to try out a Resun SK-300 Nano Protein skimmer.. Still going through the "break in" period.. I'll update things when it starts skimming..

I'm thinking of adding my first fish in a week or so. I'm thinking of either Snowflakes or Picasso Clowns.. Are there any negative effects of adding fish before adding any corals/anemone..?

• Like 1

I love this aquascaping.... What did you use to mount the rocks together? And what was the process?

And as for the idea of adding a couple fish and an anemone for them to host. As pretty as clownfish may seem, they most likely will not host an anemone. All the designer clowns are tank raised, so they have no idea what an anemone is. If you want the clowns to host, you have a couple options.

1. Buy wild caught clowns, that what I did after a few years of buying designer clowns that wouldn't host, and boom, instantly going in the anemone.

2. While at the store, find a clown or a pair that are already hosting.

3. Buy a small hang-on-side breeder tank or quarantine tank that hangs on the side and put the clowns and anemone in there.

I used an epoxy called Rock Bonder from AquaPharm.. First I handpicked the rocks I want and break them/arrange them according to the aquascape. Then I glued them together outside the tank. After it was cured, I placed it in the tank placing small pieces of filter wool where the rock sits on the glass..Live sand was added to further stabilize the rock. Small pieces of rock was added around the main rock to add more depth.

As for Clowns hosting the Anemone, I really don't care about it much.. I'm adding the anemone to add a main focal point to the tank.. I'd rather add a hammer coral but I'm afraid the clowns will start hosting it and kill it.. As long as they keep away from the other corals I'm happy.. Hosting the Anemone is a side benefit.. The conservationist in me prefer not to buy wild caught fish since I've seen first hand the destruction they do to catch fish nowadays..

what was the curing process of the rock?

and as for the clownfish, if you don't care for the hosting all that much, you should add the fish before the corals because anemones are a little more sensitive than most corals, so getting the fish in the tank and adding to the bioload, and giving the tank a little time to balance out will be better.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

I love this aquascaping.... What did you use to mount the rocks together? And what was the process?

And as for the idea of adding a couple fish and an anemone for them to host. As pretty as clownfish may seem, they most likely will not host an anemone. All the designer clowns are tank raised, so they have no idea what an anemone is. If you want the clowns to host, you have a couple options.

1. Buy wild caught clowns, that what I did after a few years of buying designer clowns that wouldn't host, and boom, instantly going in the anemone.

2. While at the store, find a clown or a pair that are already hosting.

3. Buy a small hang-on-side breeder tank or quarantine tank that hangs on the side and put the clowns and anemone in there.

you can train tank raised clowns to recognize the anemone, I have a pair a davinci and Darwin misbar and managed to get both of them to become the guest for the anemones I have

I used an epoxy called Rock Bonder from AquaPharm.. First I handpicked the rocks I want and break them/arrange them according to the aquascape. Then I glued them together outside the tank. After it was cured, I placed it in the tank placing small pieces of filter wool where the rock sits on the glass..Live sand was added to further stabilize the rock. Small pieces of rock was added around the main rock to add more depth.

As for Clowns hosting the Anemone, I really don't care about it much.. I'm adding the anemone to add a main focal point to the tank.. I'd rather add a hammer coral but I'm afraid the clowns will start hosting it and kill it.. As long as they keep away from the other corals I'm happy.. Hosting the Anemone is a side benefit.. The conservationist in me prefer not to buy wild caught fish since I've seen first hand the destruction they do to catch fish nowadays..

i added a BTA a month into my build and everything ran smooth and still is, maybe it's my knowledge or luck, either way that 6 month mark is for beginners IMO, also buy tank raised BTAs way more hardy

what was the curing process of the rock?

and as for the clownfish, if you don't care for the hosting all that much, you should add the fish before the corals because anemones are a little more sensitive than most corals, so getting the fish in the tank and adding to the bioload, and giving the tank a little time to balance out will be better.

Thanks..

As for the curing process.. I kept it in a bucket of salt water with a power head, scrubbing it with a brush and cleaning it thoroughly about twice a week for about 2 weeks.. Then I added it in to the tank and kept it there without adding anything else for another 2 weeks.. All the rocks I've added after that were dead rocks. That's all I did..

06%20-%2012.07.2016_zps2gfdqhmt.png

My most active resident.. for now..

He has found a part of the rock to call home and he stays in that area most of the day.. He has learned about the feeding time and comes to the front every time I walk by. Very entertaining shrimp.. On the other hand the Red Fire Shrimp stays hidden most of the day and only comes out during the feeding time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.. My plan is to add the CUC -> Fish -> Zoas and Mushrooms -> LPS -> Anemones.. so it'll be atleast 6-8 months till I come to the stage to add anemones.. who knows.. this might not end up as an anemone tank..

Wonderful setup! Do the anemone tank!!!! I would love to do a whole tank of just anemones (BTAs) with a bunch of clownfish :lol:.

Anemone crabs are very peaceful. Don't have any worries that they won't do well in your reef setup! They are the best crabs available, in my opinion :).

Wonderful setup! Do the anemone tank!!!! I would love to do a whole tank of just anemones (BTAs) with a bunch of clownfish :lol:.

Anemone crabs are very peaceful. Don't have any worries that they won't do well in your reef setup! They are the best crabs available, in my opinion :).

Thanks for the info on the anemone crabs.. my one just hides in a crevice and filter feed. Hopefully he'll come out after putting a small anemone.

Do they have a prefered anemone species.?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the anemone crabs.. my one just hides in a crevice and filter feed. Hopefully he'll come out after putting a small anemone.

Do they have a prefered anemone species.?

I don't think they do. In fact, they will hang out in any coral, from my experience. Not just anemones. There's another member here that has anemones in her tank...yet the anemone crab hangs out in her LPS. And in my tank, mine lives in the fox coral. I would say no preference :).
  • Like 1
  • thilankasp changed the title to 26G Nano Reef | Coral Eden