Pod Your Reef

Curing Time

ajroahkni

Got my 10g started:

36W JBJ clamp-on smartlite

ZooMed 214 PH

~12 lb LS (2" ave depth)

~10 lb LR.

Went down to the beach yesterday and today, dove for the LR - followed Hawaii law and collected unattached specimens with no visible life on it, one gallon per person, per day (;) ).

Turns out, I've got a bunch of aiptasia babies on different rocks - ARGGH!

Also, three of these sea slug things - they've got one set of fleshy "horns" on their snouts and another set behind their little speck eyes (on the "crown" of the head). They're green and purple (like moving coraline algae) and can't stop pooping from their valve things on their butts.

Then there's the two hitchhiker crabs - they're in hiding.

Finally, a surprise cluster of green polyp thingies that are in process of opening up.

And crap, no digicam.

There's no problem w/ aiptasia herding???

Actually, there's no problems with collecting livestock (fish, crabs, anenomes, urchins, etc.). HI law just strictly prohibits the removal of reef-building creatures, i.e. corals.

The law is SOOO restrictive, that LFSs - or anyone else - can't even SELL SPS, mushrooms, sun corals, regardless of how they were aquacultured. Needless to say, the only thing you'll find at an LFS here (MAUI) is polyp covered rock - and not the carpet type. So, the only way I can keep corals is through accidental;) herding w/ live rock.

What surprises me, is how ipsf (located in Kona), can sell leathers without breaking the law - maybe they have a special permit because they documented their aquacultured status.

Anyway, go to your local LFS and kiss the clerk, thankful that you don't live in Hawaii with this hobby.

Curing time:

I pulled my LR from the sea this moring, plopped them into the tank, along with LS and one LR from yesterday...

How long do you wager it will take to cure and stablize the tank?

It's pride time folks!: Time to put your ego where your experience is.

Tinyreef that law might suck in your opinion... but if the law didn't exist.... people could just ravage the reefs. Reefs are nice in homes... but they're better in the wild...

inpha,

you gotta a point. i was assuming responsible collection activities. that's why i only raise softies and try to use only maricultured or self-propagated corals or weed-like livestock (i.e. condylactis) in my tanks

but gorgonians and softies are the weeds of the sea they should be allowed (to a limited degree, of course). they're readily renewable just like ajroakhni notes the leathers ipsf sells.

actually i'm surprised they still allow the anenome (esp. carpet) collection. that's irresponsible imo due to the inherent difficulty levels involved.

anenomes and stonys should be protected but if you're aquaculturing them it should be different. i guess the policing of the activity is too costly. :

I would imagine its not the cost of policing. Its more likely like this... There are already people who break the law by collecting sps etc (most likely).... if you give them even more room.... it will be seen as a less serious crime... thus more and more people will begin to do it... or some variation on that. You give em a little slack... they'll want more....

Recently, there was a guy arrested and fined some VERY BIG BUCKS (millions?) for maintaining an illegal harvesting/smuggling operation of corals from Hawaiiian waters for the reef trade. Apparently, he's been doing this for 10-15 years!

Sadly, some of the corals in your tanks and LFSs may have come to you from this horrid operation.

You know, I've dived/scuba dived for most of my life (22 of 28 years). Don't think I've ever seen a sun coral in these waters. . .

Anyway, laws are there to protect and maintain a semblance of civility. When guys like that get caught, it's the all-encompassing law that provides the hefty fine and jail time. Personally, I hope that that dude's gone bankrupt for his guile.

Archived