Coral Vue Hydros

The "15" Gallon Retirement Home

Alexraptor

Of course some things are just too good for Instagram and their shady user agreement. B)

PorcelainCrab1.jpg

My new Porcelain Crab, Just arrived today! He has a Maxi-Mini Nem too, but it looks like whoever packed it did lousy job and tore the poor thing almost in half getting it off the rock. When I opened the bag with the anemone it smelled like death. Despite it all though the nem did attach to the rock and crawled down in a crevice, so here's hoping it will recover.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Welp, no Conus Regius to hunt fulgida worms with. :(

At least I didn't get charged for the Tiger Sand Conch, so that's pretty cool! He's turning my sandbed upside down!

• Like 2

Sure was! :lol:

I had a similar incident many years back when I had Nassarius snail. One poor snail got dive-bombed just like that by a hermit, and to add insult to injury a fellow Nass went and ploughed him over with sand! :P

• Like 1

So I purchased the Porcelain Crab and Mini-Maxi as part of a package deal, turns out the crab does not want my anemone.

I decided to try and introduce him to the nem, so I gently guided him into a small beaker and tipped him out right in front of the it.... A couple of hours later and he's right back to sitting on the Brain Coral. :P:wacko:

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Alexraptor said:

So I purchased the Porcelain Crab and Mini-Maxi as part of a package deal, turns out the crab does not want my anemone.

I decided to try and introduce him to the nem, so I gently guided him into a small beaker and tipped him out right in front of the it.... A couple of hours later and he's right back to sitting on the Brain Coral. :P:wacko:

If you didn't want that crab in there it would be dancing all over it...... it's maddening.  lol

8 hours ago, Alexraptor said:

Mine likes my ricordea! :lol:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Over a decade of reefing and this is the second time in my life I've seen a coral start morphing its color. The first time was more than half a decade ago when a yellow-green Seriatopora turned pink with purple overtones.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

That color morph is really cool to witness, it really is turning pink! You should keep photographing it from above like that as it transitions, it will be neat to compare months from now.

How are your other corals responding to the LED light?

Your porcelain crab is quite a character! Still living on the brain? :lol: 

Oh yes, he has yet to move from it out of his own volition lol.

The other corals seem to have mainly intensified their colors, my green monti cap that I added a while back now is a bright vivid emerald green, while otherwise, even the original frag, it's been a bit more towards the brownish green side.

SmallReef-August27th2017.thumb.jpg.e5d42819f25c3812774f9f79463bce11.jpg

MontiCapsSmallReefAugust2017.thumb.jpg.8e39c0dd62491ea69f62517e3b427b61.jpg

I've also kind of gone really low tech now, reducing the system to only two core pieces of equipment and ceasing with dosing(or trying to anyway) and instead have established a schedule of weekly 40% water changes. I maintain heat by way of the aquarium room itself which I maintain at a constant minimum of 25C all year around, but I might put a heater back in at a later time.

Its funny, the Maxspect Glaive is marketed as an entry level light for Fish systems or systems with low light corals. But in my 15 Gallon tank here it is more than enough light for even growing some SPS. Totally blows my previous T5HO light out of the water.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So almost 3 months now with the Maxspect Glaive.

Have to say this is one seriously underrated lamp. What I read about this light indicated it was aimed at Fish-Only setups or systems with "low light" corals. But for my 15 Gallon tank I would have to classify this as at least a medium intensity light. My corals have never been more colorful in all my years as a reefer, from top to bottom. :)

• Like 4

The oddest thing just happened.

Was in with my red night light looking for critters in my 25 gallon reef that stands next to this one, when I suddenly noticed a bright blue flash in the corner of my eye.

Bioluminescence at work?

• Wow 2

This tank just keeps getting weirder and weirder!

So I left the pump off for maybe an hour after gluing a frag in place. When I came back to turn it on again I noticed THIS little swarm at the water surface!

I absolutely have no clue as to what this is, but obviously its some kind of zooplankton or larvae. Whatever they are they are very much attracted to light, as I tried sliding my LED light to the side to get a photo from above, but the swarm just followed to the LED spot. 

• Wow 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Soooo.... this?

After 1 year of use I think I have to say the Maxspect Glaive is a real solid light for nano tanks. My red monti cap is huge! Alas my green-monti cap got rather smothered by shrooms.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 3 years later...

Hmmm, lot of missing pictures, ah well.

Several years later....

Reef61L-2022-04-18-001.thumb.jpg.ff0cd7283fd6dd128b0a0d9cc55eecc2.jpg

Some triumphs, some setbacks due to equipment failure and subsequent neglect. Red monti cap has thrived through it all though, had to prune it back because it had reached water surface, and was self-shading too much!

Some macro closeups!

Reef61L-2022-04-18-008.thumb.jpg.572d15e0b9ecfbb0e50a8b20b064ad85.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-004.thumb.jpg.5f73a7b604e4c0b091c10cae92d01fd2.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-009.thumb.jpg.84087f72d3e5ec3ea76d01b43b4cf298.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-003.thumb.jpg.f53adf64737370c71a63e42254984167.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-007.thumb.jpg.3c7ebf7690a0bca7f873fa8da7e9f939.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-002.thumb.jpg.1e48f973b018bbf40f8cfa437a45bf9b.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-006.thumb.jpg.289175d54d8b6b1774c31aa9c554ada4.jpgReef61L-2022-04-18-005.thumb.jpg.3e5e35719e2e2e596b1200e56ff76d52.jpg