Cultivated Reef

Red Sea in the Mojave...the Final Hours

vegasgundog

vegasgundog

:blink:I thought I made a huge mistake over dosing mag to around 3600. SO.......I did a 15g water change and used the Red Sea Pro test kit hat I have been using for 2 months. It showed my mag went from 3560 down to 3280. I worried that such high mag could be pushing down my alk. The Red Sea Pro kit said it dropped from 9 to 4.5 and I almost went in a panic. But I pulled out the Red Sea reef care test kit that has the alk test and used it which came back at 10!!! I went to my odds and ends box and found my Salifert Mg kit that has enough for a couple more tests and mag came back at 1380!!!!! :wacko:

WTH IS UP WITH THE RED SEA TEST KITS????? My mag was never at 3600!!!!! :rant::rant::rant:

AND I just used all my salt mix on another 20g of rodi water...... :angry:

vegasgundog

Thank you. I'm just glad I didn't nuke my tank. I just feel bad when something under my care dies. I know it's just a tiny fish but.... now I'm wondering if I shouldn't euthanize the poor thing. I thought about putting it back in the bc still set up and see if some miracle happens.

Yeh, I can't get a consistent reading from my red sea pro mag test kit. Every other rsp kit is great. Maybe we have a bad batch?

Tank looks great though! just read through the entire thread.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your issues and sorry about the wrasse :(. I recently changed from Red Sea Pro Calcium to Nyos and won't look back, the Red Sea kit was reading low by about 150ppm. I even ended up changing my Salifert Mag test to the Nyos also.

• Like 2
vegasgundog

I recently changed from Red Sea Pro Calcium to Nyos and won't look back, the Red Sea kit was reading low by about 150ppm. I even ended up changing my Salifert Mag test to the Nyos also.

I'll have to look for those. Haven't seen them in local fish stores.

I picked this up for 120 on Craigslist. He had it filled with water when I got there, so no leaks and looks incredibly clean.

20160803_145545_zpsjacwxwto.jpg

I didn't realize until I got home that there is a problem. I want to set it up as refugium but the only place a skimmer can go is on the return side.....so all pods and such will end up in the skimmer.

• Like 1

I am wondering is it possible to grow macro algae in the same area as the skimmer?....will the protein skimmer intake suck the macro algae and clog the intake ?....or create a baffle to separate the macro from the skimmer.

I have the red sea reefer 170...which is a ten gallon sump.-not much room for a dedicated macro algae area.

Good luck with the new sump!

vegasgundog

I noticed red sea sumps don't have the room for a dedicated fuge. I imagine you could use something like the plastic hobby sheet that you stitch yarn through. Place it around the skimmer like a fence it should keep out the macro. The sump is going to take a while. I realy cant afford to set it up all at once. Currently Im researching skimmers with the foot print that will fit in it as well as more affordable yet dependable. I cant justify spending more than under 200 at this point.

• Like 1

I am wondering is it possible to grow macro algae in the same area as the skimmer?....will the protein skimmer intake suck the macro algae and clog the intake ?....or create a baffle to separate the macro from the skimmer.

I have the red sea reefer 170...which is a ten gallon sump.-not much room for a dedicated macro algae area.

Good luck with the new sump!

Harry and I both use eggcrates to separate our Red Sea Reefer 350 sumps for macros. I grow chaeto in mine.

• Like 2
vegasgundog

Someone caught my eye at the lfs.....waiting in quarantine.

20160808_161028_zps7zc7q8vc.jpg

And some all ways there to help, hard mounting the led disks in the cabinet.

20160808_153609_zps12xgllbc.jpg

• Like 3

Such a cute retriever! Definitely the breed of dog I wanna buy when I get my own place. I miss not having a dog, our retriever/Labrador cross passed late last year at almost 15 years old and things just aren't the same without her.

• Like 2

Such a cute retriever! Definitely the breed of dog I wanna buy when I get my own place. I miss not having a dog, our retriever/Labrador cross passed late last year at almost 15 years old and things just aren't the same without her.

Loved our Blond Golden! "Bindi" Passed away about 8 or 9 Months ago. She was only 8 :(

Renal Failure

• Like 2

Loved our Blond Golden! "Bindi" Passed away about 8 or 9 Months ago. She was only 8 :(

Renal Failure

Oh that's such a shame :(. Our dog, Poppy, just died of old age we think. Lost all control over her hind legs and just lost the will to live, it was all over in about 24 hours. In the end she was partially deaf and blind, we had a very good run with her.

• Like 1

We Love Goldens! Such Sweet Personalities.

Back on Topic.

Someone caught my eye at the lfs.....waiting in quarantine.
20160808_161028_zps7zc7q8vc.jpg

And some all ways there to help, hard mounting the led disks in the cabinet.
20160808_153609_zps12xgllbc.jpg

SWEET! :wub:

• Like 2
vegasgundog

He's our second golden so basically we've all ways had them. Our first was our baby before we had babies and was the best with infants. This guy's a giant lovable galoot likes to help with everything. It seems like a curse almost watching them age before us. Our first little ladie had a stroke in the end and we were so empty without a golden we just had to have another around.

• Like 2

Leds mounted in the cabinet, spent some time on cord management which didnt come out as clean as I hoped. I ordered a DJ switch box for when I get the sump built. It turned out to be twice the size I planned on it being. Have to figure out how to mount it now.

20160809_204106_zpsp1qghllo.jpg

The temp is only 80 this morning. Almost chilly. I ventured out into the back yard where I have not been since the Red Sea started. I realized all my time has been spent on aquarium time looking at all the weeds and bermuda grass taking over. Pulled weeds now time for weekly wc.

• Like 3

After pulling weeds it was time to do my prescheduled wc. Seems when I want a quick wc nothing ever goes as planned. Found the skimmer had been over flowing for knows how longood, water was clear. Ran short of mixed water to miscalculation, had to run a couple gallons quickly. All done and the skimmer is going nuts, can only assume it's from all the crud it dumped back in earlier. But everyone seems happy.

Leds mounted in the cabinet, spent some time on cord management which didnt come out as clean as I hoped. I ordered a DJ switch box for when I get the sump built. It turned out to be twice the size I planned on it being. Have to figure out how to mount it now.

The temp is only 80 this morning. Almost chilly. I ventured out into the back yard where I have not been since the Red Sea started. I realized all my time has been spent on aquarium time looking at all the weeds and bermuda grass taking over. Pulled weeds now time for weekly wc.

I spy with my Eye, 2 Furry Paws. Looks like ur Buddy is Managing ur job :wub::PB)

• Like 2

I did some cord managing myself yesterday, what a pain! Can't ever get it to look really nice... Yours is looking pretty good!

• Like 2

Thank you. The worst was unplugging everything and trying to get every cord isolated. Trying to get everything ready to sump it. Wish I'd spent a little more time on research and possibly went with the reefer although I really like the lights. It's just cleaning the sponges over the returns is a pita and my water never seems particulate free. Maybe I'm over estimating what a couple of filter socks and a fuge will do.

20160810_150610_zpsgqfqalqf.jpg

My solution for the cord bundles. Hope the stickies hold long term.

• Like 1
  • vegasgundog changed the title to Red Sea in the Mojave