Top Shelf Aquatics

Help hooking typhon controller up to this PWM driver

knoxvegas

Hello,

I have this replacement led driver for a Chinese Black Box. It supposedly has capabilities of accepting both 5V and 10V PWM signals.

After looking at these pictures, how do I connect this to a typhon controller? I know the typhon controller has both - and + pins for 5V and 10V.

I know the LED wiring, and the 12V wiring is for a fan, but the PWM notation on the driver has the 4 white wires that connect to the board with the pot. There's no identifiable + and - PWM wiring?

20160614_222419.jpg

20160614_222350.jpg

20160614_222328.jpg

That board looks like an analog to digital converter. In theory, you don't need that board at all. All you would need to do is connect the ground wire from the harness to the DIM- pin on the Typhon, and the PWM pin to DIM+. Try it on the 5v PWM channel of the Typhon first to see if it works. If not, try it on the 10v PWM channel. There's no clear indication from either that driver, the AtoD board, or the manufacturers website as to what that PWM voltage is.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried doing what Evil suggested and neither the 5V or 10V options on the typhon controller turn the leds on. The driver works,with the Pot but not the typhon controller. Are the other wires in the harness, the 12V+ and/or ON/OFF wires an important part of this equation as far as the typhon controller?

Ok I got it to working.PWM pin to DIM+ And GND to DIM- turn the pot on and to lowest setting. In this fashion the lowest on setting is quite high, appears to be about 25% to the naked eye. I will still have to have the drivers on separate timers to turn them completely off. When they come on it's just brighter than I'd prefer.

Most drivers like that bottom out at about 10-15% output. Nothing you can do about that other than to add a relay to shut off the AC power to the drivers when you want them off. Only DC drivers (Meanwell LDD etc...) will be able to go down to zero output.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Just now, jkruer01 said:

I am looking for this exact same part.  Where did you buy yours or do you know of any place that is selling them? Thanks!

The blue LEDs on my chinese black box will turn on and off with the dimmer, but they won't get any brighter past about 10% so I'm assuming the dimmer is bad and want to find a replacement.

IMG_20180516_212555.jpg

IMG_20180516_212604.jpg

IMG_20180516_212608.jpg

IMG_20180516_212614.jpg