Pod Your Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I can be in Orlando in 30 minutes. Just saying.

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

things are....going =P.  lots of issues with house and wife fractured her ankle.  but tank is doing well.  too lazy to update my build threads...hahah

if you ever come my way, let me know!  i have corals to give away...zoas, birdsnest, starburst monti.  i have frags literally dying because i have no room for them....

I’ll be sure to PM you if I’m ever able to head North

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 10:50 AM, Coolbreeze said:

Very nice. I have one Acro in my frag that is brown and do not know what I am doing wrong. Everything else is looking good and has really nice color.

hmm, I forgot to reply to this?....

not gonna lie, I'm not the best at controlling the color expression on acros, possibly the worst.  what I've learned over the last few years is that light and nutrients are the important factors for colorful acros.  you need to have enough light intensity for them, AND the nutrient levels (both N&P detectable).  this is in addition to the requisite parameters stability and flows.

I'm having issue with 2 of the 3 new acros going thru greening at the moment, and the fox flame is browning out a bit.  I’m just chalking it up to my parameter issue. And much lower lighting output than the vendor’s tank - this is being lesser issue than params 

CBF1F6CF-5ED5-4253-AF9B-6265F7E9D235.thumb.jpeg.a5094389195014f4cbb820c6e7adb806.jpeg

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, spectra said:

why is the heater in the display ? its an AIO..............

there is room back there...................

I have always wondered that with people tanks and it's always a neotherm aka the exploding heater. 

Its thin for a reason people! 

13 hours ago, spectra said:

why is the heater in the display ? its an AIO..............

there is room back there...................

i brought them out after doing a water change one time and forgot to plug the heater back in for a day or two...this way I see if the heater is on.  and the onboard thermostat gives me an idea of where the temp is at a glance.   after that incidence, it figure it is somewhat worthwhile, it used to be mounted on the side wall, a little less obvious.  but at this point, I'm too lazy to make any effort, since the tank will be moved in 2 weeks or less.  

The original plan was to transfer livestock into the new already-running setup at the new house.  Well, works on the new house is way behind (wife's optimism didn't translate to local trades' availabilities), so this tank will be moved.  new setup is not set up yet....due to paint and flooring works that remain to be done.   

12 hours ago, Matteo said:

I have always wondered that with people tanks and it's always a neotherm aka the exploding heater. 

Its thin for a reason people! 

I'm aware of negative review on them.  they're the "nice" looking heater for the display.  I like that it has internal controller/thermostat, i'm on my second one now.  I think I ran mine for 2-3 years each, then got a new one.  the new tank is getting a new heater as well.  old heater becomes wc bucket heater.  I may get that BRS titanium heater, if I get a controller, I don't particularly care for an inkbird display.   

• Like 2
On 12/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, mitten_reef said:

acros going thru greening at the moment

Is their a term for this?  I noticed my acros started to do this is but I wasn't sure what to type into the google search bar to investigate.  I assumed it was lack of nitrate and phosphates though. Any idea how long it takes to resolve?  I can message you pictures if that helps. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Is their a term for this?  I noticed my acros started to do this is but I wasn't sure what to type into the google search bar to investigate.  I assumed it was lack of nitrate and phosphates though. Any idea how long it takes to resolve?  I can message you pictures if that helps. 

Greening acros? Acros green out? (As opposed to brown out?). I really don’t know. I feel like they’re as common as them turning brown. 

It will takes weeks if not months to reverse course. It’s hard to say, depending on what factor they’re trying to adapt to.  Light is number 1 factor in my opinion, assuming you have stable parameters.  Nutrients are the next, need some N and P present. Just for reference. It was probably closed to a week before I took that picture of those ones turning green, so they probably became full green around 12/6. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

😞 started to green out,  now white is coming in

1FD898BC-6CC6-4ECF-8D4E-1B0023B3F698.png

Took a quick look at your tank journal, any chance this is the fallout from your alk-cal dosing mishap?  What, if anything, happened in the last month with parameters and stability?  
PS I would take care of that little patch of bubble algae before it spreads. 

Thanks for checking out my thread!

I’m trying to turn the Alk situation around, but I’m “done” with SPS. If it dies, it dies. Lol!

I have little patches of bubble algae scattered throughout the tank.  I’m not too worried, but I do try to scrape them out when possible. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I have little patches of bubble algae scattered throughout the tank.  I’m not too worried, but I do try to scrape them out when possible. 

I wouldn’t scrape bubble algae. If one breaks, and it will, then you are spreading spores throughout the tank. If you can remove the infested rock from the tank then remove the algae and rinse well before putting the rock back in the tank. Get yourself a couple of emerald crabs, they love bubble algae. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, farkwar said:

I still don't understand that

How does the crab eat the algae without popping it and spreading spores?

Correct exact same result, as soon as the bubble breaks the spores will be released just the same 👍🏼

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, farkwar said:

I still don't understand that

How does the crab eat the algae without popping it and spreading spores?

38 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Correct exact same result, as soon as the bubble breaks the spores will be released just the same 👍🏼

Always thought the same thing as both of you! 😆

9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not know how they do it but my emerald crab is working for me. I have not seen any bubble algae in a long time. The one I have now occasionally eats hair algae also. 

Maybe the crab continues to forage for the bubble algae, and the new ones get picked off before we can notice?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

new torch is looking good

50737860928_f3a1b57aa5_b.jpg

I was just snooping around for a torch or a good goniopora or alveopora colony. Wonder what sales Christmas will bring?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I was just snooping around for a torch or a good goniopora or alveopora colony. Wonder what sales Christmas will bring?

Nothing for me as of right now. 

Some more iphone topdown from last night

50737861013_748e193496_b.jpg

• Like 7
27 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Nothing for me as of right now. 

Some more iphone topdown from last night

50737861013_748e193496_b.jpg

Yeah, I think buying after Christmas will be eaiser on the shipping and all. Maybe some good sales will happen. 

• Like 1